Please Help me with building gaming computer choices!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Shelk, May 30, 2004.

1. Shelk

Shelk Active Member OT Supporter

May 2, 2004
    well so far i have the case and 480 watt power supply (both made by Demon)

i am not sure about what motherboard or processor i am going to get and would like some suggestions. The computer is going to be for gaming but not hardcore pretty much just CS, Diablo 2, Farcry, and Doom 3 possibly.

Other specs:

512 DDR RAM
    80 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
    128 Graphics card ( Radeon 9600)

Any Suggestions are Welcome i am looking to spend around 80-100 for each of processor and motherboard. Please help me out with those and if you think any of the other stuff needs help please feel free.
  2. MP

MP New Member

Sep 10, 2002
    can't you get 9800 pro's for under $200 now?

best deal on the market for a video card.
  3. Meat0r

Meat0r New Member

Oct 16, 2003
    I'd highly suggest going for 1GB of memory. More and more games now are taking advantage of 1GB and it is fastly becoming the 'norm'. Since you're on a tight budget going A64 is not really an option so, if I was building a gaming computer, this is what I would pick.

- AMD Barton 2500+M (Get the Mobile (M) version because they run on lower voltage, overclock much higher and are therefore more futureproof.

- 1GB PC3200 (2x512mb). Get 2 matched 512mb sticks to take advantage of DCDDR.

- Abit NF7-S 2.0. It's pretty inexpensive now and has lots of features and overclocks brilliantly.

- The 9600 is borderline budget/low-midrange card so, if you haven't already bought it, I would suggest getting a 9800Pro because they're extremely powerful and are going dirt cheap.

- The HDD, case and PSU you suggested are fine.

Some of the things I've mentioned are good overclocking options and since you're on a small budget overclocking is a good way of getting more performance without spending any extra £££. For example, all mobile bartons will do 3200+ (2.2GHz, 11*200) speeds at 1.6V or below which will give a massive performance increase at no extra cost.

If you need any more help overclocking, building or buying just drop me a PM :).
  4. offtopic

offtopic Guest

For the memory I could get the corsair xms brand, its more expensive but kicks ass!