Please help me restore my PC to what it was a few days ago!!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kilabeez0, May 20, 2006.

1. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

Long story short. My 2 yr old son did something on my computer which made the picture on the monitor at a 45 degree angle. Other than turning the monitor on its side i couldn't figure out how to fix it. Rather than using system restore I hit F10 on my HP's boot up which is HP's own restore program. Well I lost basically everything on my PC and it's back to barebones. Programs are still there but it wont allow me to create shortcuts, or even run Mozilla. I tried to download firefox again but it wont allow me to download anything. I remembered XP's regular system restore and tried that but the only restore point available is from this morning AFTER the HP restore. Can anyone tell me how to turn my computer BACK to what it was like a week ago, complete with different User accounts and all my Desktop icons???:wtc: :wtc: :wtc:

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you can't. By using HP's restore program, you effectively reformatted your machine.

3. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

Yeah that sucks.

4. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

now i wont even load windows. when it starts up it says something about an error and windows needs to close. before i clicked ok, i opened the internet, but the start button has disappeared and i'm sure once i close my internet connection my PC will crash again. So there is no way I can take my computer to someone and have it fixed?

If I'm starting from scratch than i guess i'll learn from this. Can someone tell me why my computer wont let me make short cuts on my desktop? It says the disk is full. Also it wont let me run mozilla firefox at all. I'll click on the program and it does nothing. I tried downloading it again and an error pops up that it wont let me download anything. WTF???

5. o2

o2 Witty Title Here OT Supporter

Maybe your HD is full? Could explain why Mozilla doesn't run, along with all your other problems.

Lesson is... dont let your kids use your computer....ever. Buy them a $300 machine to destroy instead.

You could have fixed the 45 degree rotation by going into monitor/video card properties.

6. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

reformat your drive, reinstall windows, then reload your backups

you do have backups right?....

7. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

no i have no backups and i dont have a windows cd to reinstall. the computer was given to me as a gift with it already loaded onto it. and my kid is 2, he climbed up into the chair and started hitting buttons when no one was looking. do i need to go buy a windows cd or should i just take my computer to a professional? i dont know how to reformat my drive either.

8. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

also every time i type in a website and hit enter an error message pops up twice saying

C:/owner/documents and settings/desktop is not available or something. WTF is that?

I also cant access some secure sites like my bank. I tried messing with my security settings to no avail. i'm lost.

Last edited: May 21, 2006
  9. o2

o2 Witty Title Here OT Supporter

Complete reformatting is your only choice at this point. FInd someone with a windows CD, or format the drive in DOS.

10. GTSlow

GTSlow New Member

sounds like you should take it to a professional. Good luck!

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

reformat. If you can't do that, you shouldn't be using the computer...

Just like people that can't change their oil shouldn't drive cars.

12. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Not gonna help with your loss of data but you might want to try booting up and hitting F8 and choose Last Know Good Configuration. Might help you get back in there.

But in all honesty just obtain a windows disc and do a fresh install.

13. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

You need a fresh install either way. But as far as getting your data back....short of very involved data recovery and restoration (which is hard...and is beyond the ability of me to explain how to do here) or very, very expensive if you pay a professional to do it, your options are as follows:

1) Format and start over...and learn to back up anything that matters for next time.
    2) Leave it as is and don't use it :hs:

Sorry man :(

14. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Reformatting is not like changing your oil, it's like rebuilding your engine. Changing your oil is like running the Disk Cleanup utility.

You might want to try not being an asshole from time to time.

15. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

Hardly. Rebuilding your engine is like hand making your on PCB. Either you know it or you dont. The Windows XP install can't get much easier. Remember, it's Windows, MS made it for stupid people.

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you might want to try actually knowing what you're talking about from time to time.

Changing your oil is like reformatting your computer. Rebuilding your engine would be like writing your own OS from scratch. Not everyone can do that, and those that can have really "mastered" the art. Likewise, if you can rebuild your own engine (well) then you are likely a master in that area.

17. deusexaethera

Maybe I did choose something too complicated for my comparison. But changing your oil happens every few months and takes 15 minutes. Reformatting your computer, reinstalling your old programs, and getting all your settings back to the way they used to be takes days unless you don't have anything else to do. Yeah, reinstalling Windows takes an hour or so, but so does unbolting the top and bottom of your engine and pulling the pistons out. In both cases, it's all the intricacies of putting the shit back together correctly that takes more time, skill, and short-term memory than most people have.

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you mean people like you? The same people that shouldn't be using computers in the first place?

19. deusexaethera

You know how there's a restriction against flaming other users, Jolly? You might want to watch how much of that you indulge in.

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

It's simply getting very tiring having to correct you. You can always tell the B.S. from the fact because the B.S. requires much longer posts to be successful. You have to write much more to make the B.S. seem not so crazy. You do tend to write a lot.

This is not to be confused with my longer posts, usually used to call people out on their B.S. You can tell the difference quite easily by noticing that my posts include many quotes and links to evidence backing my claims.

These longer B.S. posts, however, offer no evidence. Sometimes, they do link to Toms Hardware, but that is now known to be a website dedicated almost exclusively to B.S.

:rofl:

21. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

Jolly thank you for whoring up my thread with useless banter. I thought this was a forum for help not ridicule.

And I can tear down a motor and rebuild it. 4 stroke, 2 stroke, 4 cylinder, done it. Installed simple shit like dvd roms and a hard drive years ago. sorry every computer i've owned i didn't hand build and install windows, it was bought from a big chain store, probably overpaid but they were gifts anyway, and they always came with windows installed.

::Close Thread::

22. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

Wow seems like someone really needs to get a life. Many quotes and links?:mamoru:

23. deusexaethera

I don't give a damn why you're doing it, Jolly, all I care about at this point is that you stop. You want to correct me, fine. But when you say I'm wrong, EXPLAIN WHY I'M WRONG aside from the apparently common knowledge that I'm an idiot who's stuffed to the gills with bullshit. You don't seem to have a problem including useful information when you reply to a post that isn't mine, so why do you waste so much space for the sole purpose of denigrating me? I write long posts because I want the other person to have some idea of why what I'm telling them should work. You, on the other hand, seem to favor leaving them in the dark about why your understanding is superior, and then you add in an insult if you're feeling particularly spry at the time.

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

do you have any idea how many people I have provided HAND-PICKED configurations for? Believe me, for those that ask nicely, I am very helpful...

For you, I have grown tired.

25. deusexaethera

That's too bad, Jolly. If you're tired of reading my posts and bashing me for them, maybe you could ignore me for a while. I promise I won't be the one who starts the bashing all over again.