Please help me out folks...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MR. Marti, Dec 11, 2004.

1. MR. Marti

MR. Marti New Member

Details:

Service: Covad ADSL

Modem: BroadXent Brite Port # 8012-V

Router: Linksys 2.4Ghz, 4 port, Wireless G #WRT54G Ver. 2

Computers: 1 Desktop
    1 Notebook

Ok so here is the deal. Covad put in the new DSL line to replace the cable line i had going with Cox Communications. With the cable line i had the cable modem plugged into the router and my desk top and notebook worked great.

now i am trying to plug my router into the DSL line and it doesnt seem to want to work. The internet works fine when the modem is plugged right into each computer but thats it.

any help or advice is great folks.

Thanks in advance!

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

some people seem to have luck when placing a switch in between the router and modem.

why switch from cable to dsl? I'm sure cable would have been much faster.

3. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

Looks like you need to reconfigure the router 192.168.1.1 for linksys I think.

4. MR. Marti

MR. Marti New Member

the cable was faster but Cox Communications is the only provider and the quality and consitancy of the service was awful so i switched for a more reliable service.

Destruction- can you elaborate a little bit please..... i know the basics but thats abouot it.

Thanks

5. JaggedEdge

JaggedEdge ???????????? OT Supporter

Some DSL modems will actually have an IP on your local network. When my sister got DSL, the IP of her DSL modem was 192.168.1.1. Since her Linksys router had the same internal IP address, there was a conflict and she would experience the same symptoms you are having. The solution was to go into the Linksys web-based interface and change the LAN IP address to something else (Sprint had us change it to 192.168.2.1).