A&P Please help me improve my compositions

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by cyc1120, Aug 4, 2009.

1. cyc1120

cyc1120 OT Supporter

Hey all,

I took a few pics today and I'm unsure on how I could have composed them to make the picture look better. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks in advance. :hsd:

Intention of this first image is to show how big the tree is by comparing with that sign on the bottom of the frame. I guess I should perhaps crop this pic to remove the distracting elements on the left side of the picture?
    [​IMG]

I'm trying to frame the picture with the trees. Unfortunately, I can't have the tree properly exposed. If I meter off the tree, the church will be overexposed. Any ideas? (Please note that I'm using a Point and Shoot with manual functions)
    [​IMG]

I'm trying to capture the viewer's attention to the open door. I feel somethings lacking in the picture and I'm not sure how I could have taken it differently.
    [​IMG]

2. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

#2 move slightly left to even up the church under the trees

#3 need to zoom in so that the layered stone is at the end of the picture... and center it

3. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

In #2 try to meter off that pretty blue sky and see what happens. Thats still gonna be a hard shot to expose without taking 1 of the church correct and one of the trees correct and then merging them, but actually theres nothing wrong with that pic. You could always remove the shadowy trees from the scene if needed.

4. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Fill flash would help you get what you want in #2, but unfortunately you're limited in that department with a P&S. It's partly that the flashes on most compacts are underpowered, but mostly that they tend to get the metering and flash power wrong almost 100% of the time. I don't really use flash on my compacts at all, because it usually looks terrible.

Try it anyway though, it can't hurt and at least you might see what I am talking about.

Also, what camera are you using?

5. cyc1120

cyc1120 OT Supporter

Thanks for the replies.

I'm using a Fuji Finepix S1500