Please help me convert part of a VOB file to XviD

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Defiance, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Defiance

Defiance Guest

I have literally tried 10 different programs to try and get this to happen. NOTHING seems to work properly.

Let me briefly explain what I wish to do...

I have a DVD of Eight Below in my PC and wish to extract approxiamtely 4 minutes from the first VOB file (VTS_01_1.VOB).

I know I could convert the whole DVD to an XviD file but this would probably take 8 hours of encoding. For just a 4 minute clip that seems slightly excessive.

Therefore why couldn't I just extract my 4 minute clip in VOB form and then convert that small VOB file to XviD?

From what I've gathered a VOB file is just an MPEG-2 file with a different extension.

The screenshot below would seem to back that up...

[​IMG]

So, knowing it's an MPEG-2 file I thought the best software to edit it in (and extract my 4 minute clip) would be M2-edit.

However when I go to extract in M2-edit I get the following error message...

[​IMG]

Not sure why this is :( It seems to do the cutting part fine.

I've also tried VirtualDub-MPEG2. This opens the VOB file fine and I can actually select my 4 minute clip, however when I go to export I get the following error...

[​IMG]

So I select 'No audio' from the 'Audio' menu just to test the video output and that seems to work OK. But without audio it's obviously useless to me :(

I won't bother listing the other programs and methods I've tried because I think it's clear what I wish to do.

Thank you to anyone who has taken the time to read this and all help is appreciated :)

2. Defiance

Defiance Guest

Actually it seems that the XviD file that VirtualDub-MPEG2 made (the one with no audio) is actually the wrong size.

When I maximize the original VOB file in VLC media player it fills my whole screen width.

However the new XviD (no audio) file doesn't. It's boxed in the centre :(
    I've taken a screenshot from MediaInfo of the XviD file...

[​IMG]

3. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

4. Schproda

Schproda New Member

5. GunboatDiplomat

GunboatDiplomat New Member

I do this all the time but what I do might be more complicated than what you're used to. I learned all I know from Doom9. You should probably know that VOB files are more than just MPEG-2 streams. It's more fair to say that they have an MPEG-2 stream in them...

I prefer to use AVIsynth with the DGIndex plugin and corresponding application. You use the DGIndex application to create an index file for the VOB file(s) and use AVIsynth (thanks to the plugin) to frame serve the DVD using this index file. Here is one of the many tutorials at Doom9. You may have to search for more info as you need it.

Another, slightly simpler, way is to use the VFAPI codec and application, instead of AVIsynth. The latter is a general purpose frame server and may be more powerful than what you need, while the former only ever frame serves DVDs as AVIs. VFAPI still needs DGIndex to create the VOB index but it will create an AVI and act as a codec for that AVI. You won't have to fool around with AVIsynth scripts...

Well, without native DVD manipulation tools, those are your options. They're more than what the average web serfer can deal with but you sound a little smarter than that. If you have any questions, I'm still here.
    Good luck!

6. AJP

AJP 7-1 LOL Green Gay OT Supporter

Use videoredo to cut the vob file

then use auto gordian knot to convert it

/thread