SRS please help..I feel like Im becoming paranoid due to my allergies

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by nish81, Jan 4, 2007.

1. nish81

nish81 OT Supporter

:sadwavey: Hey people.

First let me tell you about my allergies. I'm allergic to eggs and nuts. When I touch or eat them, I get an anaphylactic reaction and I can go into anaphylactic shock. Here's a quote from wikipedia about anaphylaxis and shock and stuff.
    Also theres this.
    I carry around a medicine back all the time, (and I mean all the time) which has medicine for me to counter a reaction: tablets for milder reactions, and an epiPen injection, (which has Epinephrine in it) for stronger reactions. But here's a quote about epipens.
    Basically, after taking one, I still need to get to a hospital or something.

Now this is all in theory, in practice some reactions can be pretty mild and only need a tablet. In the last years, I've had quite a few minor reactions, and two major reactions, which resulted in the tablets not working, and me going to the emergency ward at the hospital here. I feel safe there, its like there's this thing about a hospital that I wont be allowed to die there, because they've got all the treatment. :hs:

Anyways, I just went to egypt, and when I was there I got this thing about eating. It's like, it just hit me how much trouble I would be in if I had a reaction there. I mean, the 5-lane roads are always blocked with traffic so I'd never get to a hospital in time, no-one speaks english too well there, and a whole bunch of stuff. I'd probably be dead if I had a reaction in egypt :hs:
    So I started not eating too much, and when I found a meal that was 'safe', I stuck to it. In the last 7 days, I only had 2 different meals.
    And yet, I started thinking that these meals were giving me 'small' reactions, where my throat would swell up a little bit, I don't know if it was true or if it was my paranoia, and I kept thinking that if I eat too much, my throat will close completely, there's only so much food that I can 'tolerate'.

Maybe it sounds dumb, I don't know. Then I landed in dar today, (and I didn't eat a thing on the plane) and I had breakfast and lunch, and then my mind began to notice the same 'swelling' thing and I got worried again. I'm also getting a mild sore throat, so it could just be that.
    I shouldn't be worried so much in Dar, but damn, I can barely eat anything cause I see so many possibilities for eggs or nuts to be used in the meal. And there're so many cases where you see 'John Smith dies of anaphylactic shock after his soup was contaminated by nuts', and I mean so many, I read them all the time.

I really want to see an allergy counsellor or something about this, but in Tanzania, allergies are virtually unheard of. :hsd:

So as Im writing this, my throat still feels a little bit swollen, and I'm checking every 2 minutes to see if I can still breath fully and swallow and stuff, and yeah.

Any help/suggestions please?

Sorry I made this so long, but I cant really think of cliffs. Wait, how about this.
    Cliffs:
    - i stop breathing if i eat/touch an egg/nut
    - treatment exists but its limited
    - what about places where i cant get to hospital?
    - been to hospital twice in the last year, so it does happen
    - getting paranoid and not eating enough

2. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

The best thing I can tell you is try to consult with a doctor or somethng to try to get a list of foods you can/can't eat and go from there. It sounds liek it is going to be a day by day thing for you and I'm sure theres no cure so you are just going to have to be careful in your choice and foods!

I have to carry an epiPen for the fact that I am allergic to bees. Well, one day I was out on a lake drinking having a good time doing some boating and I got stung! Did my epiPen work? NOPE! My friends called 911 on the way back to shore and if I would of went 2 more mins without mnadical attention I would of been dead! To be honest with you I don't care one bit for the epiPen and I never carry it with me anymore for the simple fact that it did nothing to me. (Just my 2 cents) I was told by my doctor that if the allergic reaction is severe enough the epiPen will do nothing for you! Not saying yours wont but just something to take in!

3. nish81

nish81 OT Supporter

I already know what foods I can't eat, and I've been living fine with it for 15 years, (I'm 15 years old).
    Wow, it sucks to hear that about the epiPen, there's no proper emergency service here to dial, so if you were here then you would have been screwed :hs:
    Damn, and I rely so much on that epiPen. :wtc:
    My problem is that I've stopped eating now, because I think everything might have nuts or eggs in it. I even feel like my throat is swelling slightly with everything I eat and if I eat too mucht then I'll die, and I know thats probably me hallucinating, but I can't bring myself to admit it, and I don't want to die anyways.

4. Gregsaidthat

To be honest I was like that too. Everytime a bee was by I thought I was going to get stung so I never wanted to go outside but FUCK THAT SHIT I want a life so I pretty much just hope I never get stung again!

On your part what have you done for the first 15 years of your life?

What you did for that time seemed to work. Correct?

Try to get back in the flow! Once you get back in a groove you wont even notice! I mean life is to short to be freaking out all the time wondering if your throat is closing due to swelling or not!

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

http://allergies.about.com/cs/travelingtips/a/blprweb020504.htm
    Can't let this allergy control your life, although you have to live within certain rules. Avoidance is the key, information about the food you are going to digest is very important, getting into a shock like that is no fun, and in terms of vacation, sorry but you are just going to have to bring your own food. Even if that means shipping the packages, you don't want to take the risk. Maby you should take third world countries and remote isolated destinys off your vacation list. I know that sucks, but in a case of shock you want a hospital in your nearby vacinity, in terms of choking you'd be lucky to last for 15 min, and its a miracle if you manage up to 30 minutes. Your just not gonna make it to the hospital in the middle of the sahara or some other god forgotten desolated place. In my opinion it would be best to only get tour guided vacations, where you travel with a lot of people, where you inform your tour guide about your situation, and show him/her how to apply your medicines in a case of an emergency. Sorry if that sounds old fashionate, but better to be safe then to be sorry. :hsd:

6. nish81

nish81 OT Supporter

:bigthumb: I love the advice, but it's hard for me to actually put it into practice. Any suggestions on how to get over this constant worry?
    Maybe I just shouldn't bother about it. But what haunts me is that what if I just wake up with my throat closing, and, i dunno. Thanks though :)

7. nish81

nish81 OT Supporter

I get what you're saying, for example I already take my own food on airline flights, and in Dar I live down the road from aga khan hospital.

As for the vacation advice, it sounds really sensible, but I also want to live a normal life and stuff so I'm kinda stuck there. I guess better to survive than to risk it just for a vacation, :dunno: well I'm back home now, so not much worry.

8. Gregsaidthat

Take in your own advice!

9. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

What causes allergies? Can they be cured with genetic research or something?

nish81, keep your head up.

10. nish81

nish81 OT Supporter

So far the only 'treatment' is to avoid the allergen. However, I've found these two things that look promising.

Firstly, there's a drug called 'TNX-901', here's its wikipedia article, I bolded the main bits.

It turns out most of it was important :o
    Over a patent dispute though? That's just fucking bullshit. A drug that could save hundreds of lives, (peanut allergy is getting pretty widespread), it's even been tested successfully, and it's shelved because of patent disputes?! Fuck the law.
    That 'xolair' looks a bit promising I guess, I'll keep an eye on it.

The other thing was a chinese acupuncture cure thing. I can't find the specific article on allergy cure, but here's the link to the website about the technique or something: www.naet.com
    I've never tried acupuncture, anyone here think it's worth looking into it? :dunno:

11. element4all

element4all Active Member

man i am so sorry you have to suffer from those allergies, that sucks major donkey balls

12. nish81

nish81 OT Supporter

Okay, here's what I'm thinking on right now.
    It's best to stay as safe as I can, but I have to try to lead a normal life as much as I can. There's no point being alive if I'm not doing anything with my life. Right?