Please help-haze on hood.*pics inside*

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by pLaYIstIcPimP, Aug 7, 2005.

1. pLaYIstIcPimP

pLaYIstIcPimP New Member

Alright, i really don't know why this is happening but it started about 3 months ago. I have kept wax on the car and wash it probably twice a week. I wash it with a meguiars conditioner and clean mits. i blow dry it first with my leaf blower and then chami (sp?) it off. When i saw this, i clayed the car then cut it. can't remember what i used but i could find out. then i applied Meguiars Tech wax and then S100. here are what it looks like below. please help. i dont have a PC. what do i need to cure this? Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. NorthPac

NorthPac New Member

Try claying, polish cleaner and then a glaze (might have to go with a high speed glaze?), what I think that might be is ether the sealer layers got cloudy or bad? or the paint just needs some glazing to restore some of the oils, black gets real hot, plus the heat from the engine. You don't even want to think clear coat or paint failure.

You might want to look under the hood to see if there is an insulation mat there? If not buy one for it, Engines gets 200* above enough to fry eggs.

Oh and hey when you glaze it buy a glaze for dark paint 3M makes a excellent glaze for dark paint, if you have a PC that will work, a rotary works the best to bring the oils deep into the paint because of the heat it produces. If you want to know more how to glaze let me know I can give you a few tips

3. pLaYIstIcPimP

pLaYIstIcPimP New Member

hey north pac, i would love to hear some tips. as far as insulation under my hood, yah, i have some. i live in fl so it does get really hot here.

4. NorthPac

NorthPac New Member

You going to use a PC, Rotary or a hand job?

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Bye-bye clearcoat. Time to repaint the hood.

6. pLaYIstIcPimP

pLaYIstIcPimP New Member

i can get my hands on a rotary, but by hand would be the best if i could get away with it.

and scott, that isn't what i needed to hear. :wtc: do you really think it is wasted? i have always kept wax on it :(

7. NorthPac

NorthPac New Member

Scott maybe right only thing you will be out is buying black glaze. I had few black cars with real bad haze problems and they came out just fine but every car is different. One car that was so bad (not as bad as yours) and the only thing that could fix that haze was the rotary. The Rotary makes a lot of heat that sends the oils from the glaze deeper into the paint. If you go that route /w the black glaze I like 3m dark glaze makes black real nice and black, read the instructions. If glaze seems to work take it out in the hot sun let set a few hours and glaze again because the oils are being soaked up deeper into the paint. I bet it will work, black paint has a tenancy to remove oils from the paint. But like I said every car is different and I’m not saying it will work.

8. Scottwax

Clearcoat is dead. Same thing happened to my Accord on the roof...and obviously, I kept it waxed. Just 14 years of time and being parked in the sun every day eventually took its toll.

9. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

Scott, I have found Hondas to be notorius for that.......
    As for that black, your dead in the water....is that a BMW Play ? I dont see many BMR's like that.

10. dilligaf

dilligaf -

Both my cars have this problem. There is nothing to do short of a respray. On my cars the surface is actually just about perfectly smooth in those areas. I was told the clearcoat is seperating from the paint and the damage is under the top layer so nothing you do on the outside is going to affect it.

11. pLaYIstIcPimP

pLaYIstIcPimP New Member

yeah, it is a 95 M3. if i have to repaint, i am just going to get a c/f hood.

12. NorthPac

NorthPac New Member

I have seen 3M dark glaze w/ a rotary I covered up some vary serious defects on black paint which was caused normally by the lack of oils in the paint due to the hot sun depleting the oils out. Bringing the oils back into the paint is tricky but I do believe it can be done. The trick is you have to get the oils back into the paint with lots of heat from the rotary. I’m not saying it will work every car is different but I seen paint like the picture above recover the black color using the lots of heat from the rotary and using 3m dark glaze. There are things you can do /w the rotary what you can’t do /w a pc and this is one of them. Depleted oils from the paint looks exactly like paint failure and most body shops or detailers would agree when they try to glaze it /w hand glaze that not phase it and called it paint failure. Hey I’m saying I’m right like I said every car if different it could be paint failure but what is there to lose buying a small bottle of 3m dark machine glaze for 5 or 10 bucks.

Get a rotary and some 3m “dark” glaze and do a quarter size on the hood do about a 1½ by 1½ ft section at a time set the rotary to about 4 using med foam pad that going to cause a lot of heat, go slow in motion to get the oils deep into the paint but not to slow, keep repeating until you get the color back?

13. pLaYIstIcPimP

pLaYIstIcPimP New Member

thanks northpac, the 3m glaze, can i get that at local stores?

14. NorthPac

NorthPac New Member

Try a auto paint shop supply, If not try the internet and that's 3m "dark" machine glaze, 3m glaze is just glaze for reg paint. good luck

Last edited: Aug 9, 2005
  15. RenaultFreak

RenaultFreak OMG

that is the type of damage that the 3M products solved on my friend's car, I couldn't believe it. Get the 3M dark glaze one and try it with a PC...

16. NorthPac

NorthPac New Member

On this situation about this thread a pc doesn't create heat to get the dark glaze oils into the paint, a rotary will get the glaze in "deep" by the heat that it creates. A PC only glazes a just a small fraction of what a rotary can. Look at the pic's above (not saying it's fixable) only a rotary can bring the oils deep into the paint and fix the defect/s for the long term, if a pc does it, it will be a start term fix.

17. pLaYIstIcPimP

pLaYIstIcPimP New Member

18. NorthPac

NorthPac New Member

I think for a Quart sells for about $30.00 to $40.00, I don't know if you can get 3m glaze for dark cars in a smaller size? I hate to have you spend to much on something that it might not work 100%?

3M™ Perfect-It™ Foam Polishing Pad Glaze 05996 (Rember its got to say "dark" cars)
    http://products3.3m.com/catalog/HttpController?node=6J20ZKV4L2be&root=GST1T4S9TCgv&vroot=GSLPLPKL4Xge&gvel=SGG09CNP1Mgl&theme=us_aad_3_0&command=SearchOutlinkHandler&boundary=rootsearch&from=0&to=10&search=keyword&term=05996&x=13&y=5

19. pLaYIstIcPimP

pLaYIstIcPimP New Member

would this work?

[​IMG]

Craftsman 6 in. Buffer/Polisher
    Sears item #00910720000 Mfr. model #10720

3800 random orbits per minute matched to precision-tuned counterweight system simulates hand polishing motion for a swirl-free shine. Counterweight system reduces vibration for smooth operation.

it only has one speed. just checking

20. Scottwax

No. If it isn't a Porter Cable 7424 or 7336, you are wasting your money.