Please Help...Hard Drive Question...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RedVsBlue, Jul 15, 2008.

1. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

I have an old laptop hardrive. It is from a dell inspiron, not sure which model, from about 5 years ago. I have bought things online that are supposed to allow you to plug up your old harddrive through a USB port, but none of them have had a connection I can use. This harddrive has thousands of pics from my childhood on it, along with vacation photos and tons of other important stuff. I have it sitting around and I really would like to get the files off of it. I tried putting it in another dell laptop at one time, but it wouldnt recognize the hard drive.

please help...i dunno if there is anything i can do...:(

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Search around newegg for a 2.5" IDE hard drive enclosure... They have plenty to choose from.

3. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

ive tired those...have 3 sitting around hoping something would work. They dont have the right connections for this hard drive.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Can you post up a pic showing the connections on the drive?? Make/model on the drive?

It should be an ATA6 drive... Probably too old to be SATA.

Knowing the model of the Dell it came out of might help more, but the 5 year-ish old Inspirons we have at work are all ATA6.