GUN please explain definition of ''carbine''

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AVengeance, Sep 13, 2004.

1. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

What is the difference between, say, an AR-15 and AR-15 Carbine?

Technical answer preferred.

Thanks

2. user32

user32 Guest

In this specific instance the difference is lenght. The AR-15 carbine is shorter than a standard AR. Their foreward grip is shorter and is a strait cylinder (not tapered like standard ARs).

3. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

A carbine is a shorter version of a longer rifle. On an Ar-15 a carbine would normally be considered anything shorter than a 20" barrel which is the “standard” barrel length. Most people probably would start calling an AR a carbine at 16”.

It doesn't have to be exact as the M1 and the M1 Carbine are pretty different weapons.

Does that answer your question?

4. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

a 20" AR is a full length rifle. an 18" with mid-length handguards is a mid-length. a 16" with full-length handguards is a dissipator. a 16" with carbine handguards is a carbine.

the advantages of each:

20"- better effective range of the ammo, as far as terminal ballistics go; longer sight radius for better accuracy.

midlength- longer sight radius for accuracy; shorter barrel for a little more maneuverability; you can still use a bayonet on it.

dissipator- shorter barrel for maneuverability, but still keeps longer sight radius. can't use bayonet on it, though.

16" carbine- shorter barrel for maneuverability; shorter handguards, making it lighter, especially when you add rail systems and accessories.

5. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

I think that all makes sense. So functionally, they're the same. The term "carbine" is generally applied to shorter versions of same rifle, and they have a carbine handguard?

My AR-15 is 20" barrel, bone stock from Rock River. It does NOT like reload ammo- very tight barrel. It's already killed 1 deer :yum: and 1 opossum :barf: . FYI, I did NOT eat the ugly rat pig thing, it was getting in my trash cans.