A&P Please critique this photo **sunset pic**

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Dr. Funk, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk OT Supporter

I'm starting to get into photography as a hobby and have a TON of learning to do. To start I thought I'd get the advice of you guys on how I could have made this into a better pic. Anything constructive would be great.
    BTW, the white squiggly marks on the right of the picture is not a scratch, it is from an airplane that was flying (it's on other pics in various areas of the same sunset).
    Camera used was a Nikon 5700.

[​IMG]

2. bosox

bosox *

:cool: i like the exposure, color, and composition. good job.

3. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

I would clone out the strange clouds, straighten the horizon, and brighten it up a bit

[​IMG]

4. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

didn't even notice the horizon until you mentioned it. it's not necessarily a flaw, it adds some subtle perspective I think. levelling the horizon and brightening the photo made it look flatter and less interesting IMO, I just would have cloned out the weird cloud and left it at that..

5. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk OT Supporter

Wow, I tried cloning out the strange cloud but couldn't make that happen without looking obvious. I think I have to pick up a book on PS.

Brightening it looks good as well. Auto-levels brightened it up a bit for me already.

Good tips guys!

6. blondebabe

blondebabe Guest

I thought that leaving the shore line in at the bottom was distracting. I'd crop to where nothing but the water is showing.

7. ElDude

ElDude Hiya!

It takes a long time to clone areas like that so it blends. Try using the clone with other blending options in PS. That's the pain with that program, spending a lot of time for a really small area (depending on what you are altering).

Try taking a person from a photo and adding them into another with different lighting and at different times of day for the shadows to vary, then match them up. Now THAT takes ages (and drives you mental :p)

8. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk OT Supporter

Thanks El Dude. What do you think is the best photo editing program in terms of ease of use and flexibility?

9. zennoodle

zennoodle ...hmm must've misplaced my socks

I'm not El Dude but I would recommend Photoshop. :)