Please confirm if this is true..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CPipes, Mar 4, 2007.

1. CPipes

CPipes Shit definitely just got real!! OT Supporter

If i partition my HD into 2 drives, store my OS on one, and personal data on another...... I can reinstall my OS and all my personal data will still be safe on the second partition??

And if this isn't true is there any other point in partitioning??

2. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

as long as you don't format the non-os partition or mess up the partition table
    i think you'd be much much safer with a second hard drive...judging by the scope of the questions...i'm guessing you are new at this

you can partition a hard drive for many reasons. sometimes you want to boot multiple operating systems off of one drive. sometimes you need a partition for a file swap. sometimes you want to partition a drive on network storage so that you can assign different drive letters to different partitions of the drive. i'm sure some people could name many more reasons

3. CPipes

Definately new, just finished my first build. The reason i asked is cause i have a unlicenced copy of windows on there now cause i didn't wanna buy one for my test build. Now that i have everything working i'll probably be picking up a legit copy but didn't want erase my other data since i only have one hd atm.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It's very hard to mess up a partition table. It's easier to screw up your boot loader, but even that can be fixed by running the FIXBOOT command from the Repair Console on the XP install disc. So you're safe to use this strategy to protect your documents, but I recommend you install your programs on the C:\ drive because trying to install them anywhere else consistently is a pain in the ass at best.

If you do this, invest in a copy of PartitionMagic so you can resize the partitions when you run out of space on one of them -- and you will run out of space on one of them, because it's virtually impossible to predict exactly how to split the drive.

I do have a further recommendation: Create a third partition 1050MB in size at the end of the disk, format it with FAT32 instead of NTFS, make it the Z:\ drive, and put a 1024MB virtual memory file on it. Never use this drive for anything else ever again. This will keep your virtual memory from getting fragmented, and gets rid of a big source of slowdown as the computer ages.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Just get a 2nd hdd.

6. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

True. Partitions are seperate areas of storage on a disk, you can delete/format/do whatever with one partition and the other will be fine.

If you're *really* paranoid, do as jolly says and get a 2nd harddrive.

7. CPipes

Cool, that works out perfect. Not paranoid i just don't want to have to buy a completely sepereate hard drive to back up to when i reinstall a legit windows.

8. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

Cool. Your data will be fine, but keep in mind that you'll still have to reinstall any apps you put on the second drive that require registry entries. The good thing is, you can *usually* install them into the previous directory and settings will stay the same.

9. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Won't that make the heads have to go all the way out the the end of the disk each time it hits the swap file? That doesn't sound too quick. Preventing swap file fragmentation is easy if you just set a fixed size instead of letting Windows resize it as needed. Putting the swap file on a different physical hard disk than the OS/apps is best.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

^^^ agreed. That's one of the problems that most default linux distro installs suffer from, imo... because they require a seperate partition. When you *have* to keep it seperate, the outside of the drive is best because that's the fastest spot on the drive. However, not needing to throw it so far out is an even better solution.

11. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

True, but you're splitting hairs for the most part. Saving a millisecond here or there in access time isn't going to make a huge difference in app performance.

12. deusexaethera

It does, yes, but I've consistently noticed a speed increase in older machines by doing this. The issue, for me at least, is one of consistency and stability over the life of the computer, rather than balls-out speed immediately after an installation.

Two more reasons why this is a good idea overall are that data is read/written fastest at the outer edges of the disk platters, and creating a separate partition allows the pagefile to reside in a FAT32 filesystem -- virtual memory doesn't need the protection of NTFS' journaling feature, that just slows it down.

I used to recommend making a 1GB fixed-size pagefile on the main partition, but I discovered that even locking the size of the pagefile isn't guaranteed to keep it from fragmenting. Windows will move pieces of the pagefile as necessary to make room for large files on nearly-full disks, I don't know why.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it does that to optimize performance. You're basically not allowing windows to do that...

Windows does an *excellent* job at managing it's swap compared to othe OSes. Let it do it's job.

14. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

Especially Vista, Superfetch purposely loads your RAM/Pagefile with oft-used apps in order to predictively speed app performance. But that's probably another thread...

15. deusexaethera

If it's so good, why do machines that I service consistently benchmark faster after moving the swapfile to a FAT32 partition, without doing any other cleanup?

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

because you believe what your mind wants to believe?

we're also refering to a PROPERLY setup machine. What you see is obviously not running properly -- otherwise you wouldn't be cleaning it up.

17. deusexaethera

Indeed. Joe User doesn't maintain his machine very well, especially when it's owned by his company, not him.

I understand that having a few large sections of pagefile in various places on the disk can improve performance, but I've consistently seen that the pagefile will get split into hundreds of tiny fragments as a machine ages, and that isn't good for performance.

Like I said before, the separate partition is done to improve the consistency of the machine's performance over it's entire lifetime.

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

If you schedule a defrag to occur on a regular schedule (say weekly) when the machine is not in use, I think you'll find even better performance gains.

19. deusexaethera

I do that. Can't do it with laptops, though, and my company has a LOT of travelling/offsite employees. (No, we don't sell vacuum cleaners.)

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

cutco knives?

21. deusexaethera

Digital maps of Navy bases. Most of our employees are on-base support, so we have little if any control over the laptops we give them so they can do their work. I only see them when they don't work right anymore.