A&P Please comment on my pics.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by silversilvia, Nov 4, 2003.

1. silversilvia

silversilvia OT Supporter

taken with a 3mp olympus digital camera. i'm a noob at this. please comment/suggestions on improvements. thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

[​IMG]
    Pretty good.
    [​IMG]
    Kind of boring, the angles, subject (building i am assuming) is rather boring
    [​IMG]
    good texture shot, but again, kind of boring. Kinda monotone, all one color.
    [​IMG]
    Tower is too dark and lacks detail imo. What purpose does the street light serve?
    [​IMG]
    simple composition. Seems a little in the middle.
    [​IMG]
    Don't know. Kind of boring (again, i'm sorry, but kind of stark,) too much background, maybe frame the briefcase as the main subject..
    [​IMG]
    My pet peeve is fuzzy photo's. Don't like pictures that are primarily one color.
    [​IMG]
    Again, find it boring. nothing to look at really except for a flat ceiling.
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]
    Would like a different angle, the tree's in the way.

Best thing, is read a book about basic photography. Learn all the rules. Then learn how you can follow them AND creatively break them, with pleasing results.

3. RacerX30

RacerX30 New Member

Let me start off by saying I'm surely no expert photographer or anything, BUT. The pics do not do anything for me, they kinda seem like throw away snapshots taken by my mother to finish a roll of film. I normally love building pics, but the angle those were taken at weren't the best, too much of them were chopped off and not flattering to the building. Maybe try a different lens if your camera is capable of add ons and you like taking alot of pictures of buildings. The parkbench scene could use better composition. As for the remaining pics, the interest is just not there, sorry... I hope I didn't sound to harsh on your pics, hopefully it will make you go out and just take that many more and just get a feel for what is interesting to look at and whats not.

4. silversilvia

silversilvia OT Supporter

thanks for the comment guys, and no i don't take offence of any of those comment because these are my first set of photos. and they are done with a Olympus 560Z camera so i can't alter anything (lens wise).

a lot of the shots were kinda on my way on campus and i thought "wow, that looks really cool". some of them have a lot of meaning to me tho. for example the fuzzy one is my needle whole from donating plasma (thus the money sign on it). and it was photoshopping a lil (coloring and such).

where as the picture of the lake titled "love" is what i saw when my ex was breaking up with me. and i thought it was kinda cool (in an ironic way) that here i am being dumped while others are just starting a relationship. and the brief case one was when she walked away from me thus titled "alone".

i really want those 2 pictures to be cool, cause they mean a lot to me. do u know anyway i can photoshop em to look better? or is it pretty much done for.

again thanks for all the advices. i am in the process of jumping fomr snap shots to attemp artsy photography

5. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

Not too much you could do. A macro shot of the needle hole would be good, but I don't like photoshop for photographs, other than MAYBE auto levels and crop. Everything else seems like cheating to me. Color, contrast and crop you can also do in a dark room, so I don't count that as cheating, just another part of photography.

6. shangrilarcadia

shangrilarcadia A lady

I think you are off to a good start and you shouldn't be discouraged that you arent in love with your photos yet; that will come in time. YOu have absolutely the right idea to take your camera around with you and photograph what you stumble upon in your daily life. Keeping up with this will help you become better faster than if you just took it out once in awhile.

I think you need to work on your building shots. It is always hard with large buildings to find angles that are both interesting and have no obtructions (is the lamposts). However, I get the feeling that the building shots are the ones that you took thinking that other people would like them and the other pictures are the ones that have meaning to you. Never worry about what other people are going to think when you take your pictures because it doesnt matter what other people like as much asexpressing yourself; once you are a good enough photographer, people will respect your work regardless of the content (I could cite plenty of famous photographers on that one).

For the two that you asked for specific advice on...

I think that the couple at the lake is a better photo than you are giving yourself credit for. But if I were to do anything in photoshop, I would crop it so that there is less blank sky and get rid of the orange tree on the right (it is distracting).

As for the briefcase one, which you also asked about, I would have knelt down a little and put it in a corner of the frame also signifying something leaving (the way that it is at the edge of the frame is like the way you are at the edge of the relationship). That being said, in photoshop I would crop a little off of the bottom and the left side to put it in the nearest corner.

7. mestizo

mestizo New Member

Pics of memorial union look pretty cool from the perspective of a fellow Mizzou student?.

Is that the lake off Broadway...? If so, I went skinnydipping in there last weekend... its coldddddddddd.

edit: wow didn't see how old this post was

8. mojito

mojito New Member

there isn't much you can do on a point and shoot to reduce the keystone effect in the buildings, where they look like there falling over because you are shooting up at them. However most of them are also off balance horizontally. That is something you can work on