Playing Final Fantasy 4 (DS) again

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by Boomdart, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

I beat Divinity 2 a few days ago, tried to start another game but it just doesn't have much replay value, I almost have to force myself to keep playing. Still haven't beat dragon age, but I just am not feeling that right now.

So, I loaded up FF4 on the DS again. I didn't beat it the first time I played, I just didn't feel like traversing the final dungeon.

I don't remember it being so damn hard, I was having a tough time at the beginning. I hate how you always get edward and rydia at a disappointingly low level and have to build them up. About to go to the ant lion cave and cecil/rydia are level 18 and 20 or so, edwards like 7 :squint:

Loads of time has to be spent grinding, I seem to remember that part after the underworld part big time.

2. EvanD

EvanD Active Member

This is one I still want to get to...same with finishing 3 for the DS. I have a bad habit of starting and not finishing games :wtc:

3. Der SchattenJager

Der SchattenJager Kupo, asshat.

The original SNES version was dumbed down for the North American release. I heard the DS version is hard like the original Japan Super Famicom release. That's probably why you don't remember it being so difficult.

Is the item duplication glitch still in the game? In the SNES version, I used to make mad cash by duping the most expensive sword I could find over and over.

4. TeKKy

TeKKy Wut OT Supporter

:eek3: I was unaware of this glitch lol

And yes the DS version IS harder. I found myself dying much more and boss battles being insanely hard.

5. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

I have that problem big time :o I never finished Prototype, Psychonauts, Risen, Dragon Age, The Witcher, HL2, and way more. I got to the last boss on psychonauts and risen but fuck that shit :o I just told myself I win.

Yeah, I seem to recall finding out the american version was much easier than the japanese for the snes one. Been so long though. I don't know if the item copy glitch still works, I'll have to try it out. I remember doing that, but I forget how. I'm sure a quick google search will get an answer :cool:

I remember on the snes version I could walk straight to the first cave and beat the Mist (now called an eidolon or w/e [didn't they use that term in ff9?]) with the fewest number of fights possible and without buying anything. On this DS version I had to gain to level 12 and buy 6 potions to get through that :o I'm glad I remembered you lose kain after the fight and removed all his armor to sell for some quick cash though. I died like 5 times on that fucker, twice just trying to reach him.

One thing that's annoying is the map coverage thing. You get some items if you uncover the entire map, but sometimes you leave just a tiny bit on some corner uncovered and if you want whatever worthless item it's going to give you then you have to backtrack and uncover that tiny piece.

6. TeKKy

TeKKy Wut OT Supporter

Also, try the 2 special battles. They'll make u want to rage in anger :o

7. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

Do you mean bahamut on the moon? I don't know what other one you'd be referring to :dunno: 'course bahamut was on the snes one so maybe you're talking two fights I know nothing about :o

oh, on the gba version you could swap out characters with whoever you wanted when you were able to travel to the moon. Can you do this on the DS version?

8. TeKKy

TeKKy Wut OT Supporter

Nope, never played GBA one so not sure. GBA one had a special dungeon as well.

You never heard of the 2 special battles :o

One is fighting the Giant of Bab-il

*Correction* Fighting geyron which I think is just some dragon, again equally as hard.

It's like the Emerald/Ruby fights of FFVII only that much harder :o You can't even attempt them til on your third playthrough and only with the correct augments on your characters.

9. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

I thought the Giant of Babil was part of the game? Like, an unskippable part. Doesn't Fusuya force you to go back down to earth to defeat that thing?

Maybe i'm thinking of something else, I dunno.

Where do you find the jacked up zeromus and babil guys?

oh yeah and the gba special dungeons for ff4 and ff6 were nothing but a huge pain in the ass, just like the extra dungeon for chrono trigger on the ds is nothing but a very large pain in the ass with no real worthy equipment aside from some trinket for frog.

10. TeKKy

TeKKy Wut OT Supporter

You go in the giant of Bab-il to destroy it. You fight the 4 fiends in a row(Which is stupid hard the first playthrough) then the CPU, Attacker, Defender battles.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/file/939425/51200

That may answer some questions, can only be done on at minimum the second playthrough I believe.

I know one you have to go to the smiley face on the moon and it activates the battle, the other you need edge to steal some special item from zeromus in the final battle and use it to activate the second battle on the second playthrough.

After reading that faq, I sorta have it confused but it explains everything

11. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

:cool:

That four fiends battle was pretty hard on the gba/snes. I remember on the GBA getting pissed off at the computer boss and throwing the gba against the wall :o Sturdy little device I must say, put a dent in the wall but it was fine.

edit: pretty cool faq, i'll definably be using this. probably going to head into antlion's lair today, and knowing how to beat him easily makes me less worried about grinding for edward's worthless ass :o

12. Barkode

Barkode Active Member

I got raped by the boss in the castle when you first return there and haven't gone back since

13. hellodon

hellodon

Yeah they definitely DID use the Japanese Difficulty which honestly, blows hard. I wanted to play a revamped version of my childhood fav, FFII. At least make the option THERE, ya know? They release this game here that many of us knew one way...and it's not the same experience.

In Japan, Final Fantasy IV had an "easy" mode and a "normal" mode.
    When II was released here, they released it with only 1 mode, "easy" because American's did not have the same experience with RPG's at that point that Japan gamers had, so they didnt want to make it too hard....so that's what we all knew as the standard (and only) mode on the SNES game

I never felt that the game was OVERLY easy, especially later in the game....I was young, but I remember struggling a few times here and there. Enough to make the game fun. I played through it quite a few times.

I bought the DS one and it was just TOO hard. I got a bit past Barron castle and just said fuck it. Spent hours grinding just to pass parts.Then by the time I'd get to the next big boss I wouldnt be strong enough again...and would have to grind some more. Just wasnt fun to do that. I wanted to relive the Final Fantasy II experience I loved so much - and instead I found myself playing a much harder version of the game which I was definitely not interested in doing. I'm not the kinda gamer that beats a game on normal then goes back and plays "expert" to challenge myself. If I liked a game enough to replay it, I do it for the fun factor/experience...so I'll play on the same difficulty level....so needless to say, FFIV on DS was a huge disappointment for me. I actually own a Flash Card for DS and still bought FFIV. That's how pumped I was for it....ha!

I just got God of War Collection and I'm enjoying playing through the games again. I played them on PS2 and really enjoyed them. So now, I'm playing again with revamped graphics and it's great. FFIV on DS could be compared to them releasing God of War Collection with ONLY God Mode....like that's the only way you could play it....wouldnt that be stupid?

14. Der SchattenJager

Der SchattenJager Kupo, asshat.

Looks like they fixed the item duping glitch in the DS version. Sorry folks! :hs:

15. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

These games to train Rydia's little monster are pissing me off

I can get the timed game fine, that's easy.

The math one though, fuck...fuck it, that's what I say. I feel like there is no way to make some of the combinations of numbers work

16. TeKKy

TeKKy Wut OT Supporter

Simple solution, just use gameshark/pro action replay if you wanna see the rest of it in 3D :hs:

Some parts were fuck it, but I won't lie second time through I just wanted to enjoy the story so I cheated through it. Was quite enjoyable actually :o

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  17. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

I'm about to this point. I just got back to baron castle after becoming a paladin and that guy that turns into a turtle and uses Tsunami all the time I just can't beat. Fucking thing devastates my team leaving maybe one or two alive.

I know you can disappoint his water field if you cast thunder fast enough, but it seems like everytime I try they're always just too late :squint:

Rather just run through and enjoy the story, to an extent. I enjoy the battles, sure, but these bosses have an insane level of difficulty. Scarmiglione was actually pretty easy though, casting Cura with Tella and Porum and Fira with Palom made for a pretty easy battle. I'm glad they didn't take out the damage to undead by way of curing. I was going to try to use a pheonix down on him but money is tight and I didn't want to waste one :o

18. Ivan

Ivan New Member

http://nenem.jp/dsff4/eq10.cgi

Write there the four numbers you have. Close your DS while you do it. This if you don't mind cheating, of course.

19. TeKKy

TeKKy Wut OT Supporter

yea game is hard :hs:

20. blackrat

blackrat Active Member

Was the PS1 port of 4 the harder version? I have that from FF Chronicles on my PSP and the game surprises me with the boss battles. I started from FF 1 and 6 so I expect to maybe die once or twice finding out what I need to do, but 4 demands a lot from me. Trying to go through the earth cave ended drained the hell out of my resources so I finally just ended up running through and escaping whenever I got into a battle. Even then the dark elf/dragon thing was a royal PITA to beat, died multiple times. If that's easy mode I'd hate to see hard.

21. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

I don't mind cheating in the least for this damned little mini game :o :bowdown:

I imagine when you get rydia back there will be even more minigames to up the other stat points.. the two you start with are just for the bottom two stats, I think int and spirit?

22. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

Yup, that's still easy mode bro. :o The cave you're talking about and the two in the underground world are ridiculously tough too, I forget what comes first the underground or the dark elf cave. You have to make sure you have the right equipment to make it through there alive :o

23. hellodon

hellodon

That's right where I stopped enjoying it and stopped playing after wasting hours on JUST that part. The difficulty wasnt so bad up until then...it was tolerable and I was enjoying playing the game but right around there is when I think I came to OT and was like "what the fuck? Is this way harder or is it just me" and found out what the deal was with the Japan difficulty etc.

I was actually stuck on Baigan at first....beat that part after going back to the town, loading up on items, then grinding in the cave for a good hour or so. Then the next boss battle, Cagnazzo, the same exact shit happened to me. I even ended up looking at a walkthrough to see what they were doing and all I could find at that time was videos from the Japanese version because it hadnt actually come out in the US yet and I was playing the ROM - the Japanese battle almost seemed easier! Tsunami wasnt happening as quickly or as often in the video I watched vs what happened in my battle.

I'd spend every round getting a few good hits in, then it quickly turned into being barely alive with one character, then I spent every round trying to bring my team back to life, curing, then getting hit with Tsunami again...and being left with one dude, on his last legs again, and have to do the same thing....I was just waiting for a break but it NEVER HAPPENED.

Raised more levels...it didnt help. That just wasnt fun to me...I wanted to enjoy the game in its new look but at that point I knew that wasnt going to be possible. I thought about the difficult battles from II and how much harder they were going to be if this one was already ridiculously hard for me. Oh well....maybe they'll redo 6 sometime and do it right....by leaving it how it was!!!

24. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

:rofl: You pretty much exactly described my failed attempts at beating him so far.

You spend several turns trying to resurrect everyone that died, only to not have enough health to survive the next tsunami :squint: I was able to dissipate his water field once, and only once. I knew you could do it with thunder, but my thunders would never go through in time to save me :wtc:

I might try again tonight, we'll see how that goes. I think my characters are way lower level than they should be but I didn't really have a huge problem with Baigan, I just kept rosa healing every chance she could. It took a long ass time to take him down, but I eventually succeeded without dying :) Only to be killed by cagnazzo :squint:

I love FF6 but my latest playthroughs of that game it's incredibly easy. I don't mind though, no reason to make it harder I think. I really wish they'd remake FF6 as well but I have a hard time believing that it'd be possible to fit that game on the DS and don't really think I'd like to see it in 3D if the characters are going to look like they do in FF4 :hs: I take FF6 pretty seriously, that is one epic as hell game. And yeah, if they changed any aspect of FF6 I don't think I'd like it. Even when they changed the espers' names on the GBA version I just didn't like it. Oh, and they took out the vanish/doom trick on the gba version too which kind of sucks.

25. blackrat

blackrat Active Member

I'd buy a ds for an FF6 update. :o