plastic headlight housings hazed

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by ThreeZOMG, Jun 15, 2005.

1. ThreeZOMG

ThreeZOMG (•̪̀●) ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\=(•̛̺̀●)

my gf/s headlights are all hazed and it seems the plastic has a layer that started to come off (like when clearcoat is peeling) but i dont want to scrape at it being they are plastic. I tried plastic/vinyl polish but it didnt work at all for removing the yellow haze... :sad2: is there anything specific product or technique for this? tia

2. NorthPac

NorthPac New Member

Hmm you are using your GF's plactic beast inplants to much, stop and the glaze will go away

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I've seen some E Class headlights where the plastic begins to oxidize heavily and I haven't found anything that will make a dent in it. :dunno:

4. NorthPac

NorthPac New Member

New headlights on newer cars has a coating that prevents scratching & yellowing. On older plastic headlight lens you can use a plastic polish, if plastic is heavy scratched and deeply yellowed you can use 2000 grit sandpaper then car polish compound & plastic polish. Think of applying a protective plastic film over older headlights for really good protection, I know 3M makes a adhesive plastic film.
    AIO can be applied or better yet Zaino Z-2 PRO for Uv protection

5. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

I use the same thing on my tail lights since they pick up all kinds of road grime and start to look really cloudy/hazed. It works great, I also found that if I use #16 on them afterwards I dont need to use PlastX nearly as often. I dont know if it would remove the yellow stain though, but I would give it a try.

6. Chase

Chase Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck yo

i used nail polish remover on my sisters old contour, dilute some with water and scrub away.

edit: this was was contour, I would be leary to use it on something actually nice ;)

7. perry

perry burp

I wetsanded my Contour's headlights first, then followed up w/ Mother's Mag & Aluminum polish to clean up the wet sanding. Left em looking great. Now I just maintain em w/ Plexus and the Mother's stuff a couple times a year.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The best solution for hazed poly headlamps is to replace them with glass headlamps. My old Mazda had glass lamps and they were clear as day one when they were sixteen years old. Then the car got totaled by a little girl who wasn't paying attention. But the lamps were still in one piece. (ahem)

Failing that, buy a new set of poly lamps and accept that replacing them every seven years or so is just a part of routine maintenance. You might be able to buy a set of clear silicone lense covers from AutoSport or something, but I have no idea if they look like crap.

Stupid car companies switched to polycarbonate lamps back in the early 90's. I don't know why; they cost the same as glass, and they have to be replaced every few years. Come to think of it, if I were in business to make money, I'd do the exact same thing. (shrugs)

9. Jerboy

Jerboy Guest

plastic headlamps are teh ghey. It sucks even high end cars today have them :(

10. BudBrown

BudBrown i done smoked with the best of em, shot at the res

11. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Believe it or not, Ive actually had a preaty good success rate on headlights with a wool bonnet on my PC and some DACP. Ive tried a couple of other polishes as well, but none of them seemed to work as nicely as the DACP did for removing alot of hazyness, and finishing off nicely.

Keep in mind it wont work if the headlamp is almost completely fogged over, you will have to use the aforementioned wet sand technique to do that. But if its just a light hazing it does work. ANd i would recemend taking the light out of the housing to polish it as well, no sence screwing somthing up on the paint for the sake of a headlamp.

On a side note, DACP, a polishing pad, and a PC on its back (with optional side handle installed) set at speed 4, works really well for taking scratches out of CD's.

12. mcoski

mcoski New Member

Take apart the headlights and go with some 3 step polish (plastic polish) and it will turn out like new.

13. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

couldnt you wet sand them? im toying with that idea to really smooth out a few pits on the jdm headlights on my wrx.

14. edrox

edrox A good man, and thorough

I have a 3-step process that preps and reglazes plastic lenses. Unfortunatley, the franchise system I am in re-packages everything, so I have no idea wht the product is. I can tell you that we essentially use a diluted preparation that smells and feels a lot like mineral spitits. Then, using a soft pad, apply a paste that acts a lot like a 3M microfinish compound, maybe just a little grittier like a rubbing compound. Go at that pretty hard, wipe off residue with a few drops of mineral spirits. Then, apply a plastic glaze and shine.

The results are fair to good. If there is an Aero Colours near you, they may have the same process. I charge about $30 per pair to do this. I think that most of the items are available from professional detial or paint and body suppliers.

15. mcoski

mcoski New Member

1500 then 2000 then plastic polish from heavy polish to light polish to cleaner :) Will look nice.