Plasma vs. LCD

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Alenon12, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Alenon12

Alenon12 Save the cheerleader....save the world

So i've been getting ready to buy a 46-50" flatscreen and for the last week or 2 been doin some research on the whole LCD vs. plasma. both seem to have pro's and con's that really make it hard for me to choose. However the plasma's i seem to be able to get for a bit cheaper. After the research ive done im likely going to go with a samsung. However still not sure between plasma and LCD. everywhere i look i can get a 50" samsung plasma for around 2k and i'd rather not go above that. With the LCD i'd have to go with a 46" for the same price. Any input on what would be better and why would be appreciated.

2. Zeromancer

Zeromancer Pampita's Love Slave

3. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

If you watch a decent amount of movies and like black to look black..get plasma. LCD really shows a purple vs a black in dark scenes. It also lacks shadow detail. Go plasma. Panasonic plasmas are good for the money. Pioneer plasmas are the best imo.

4. ImBad

ImBad blah blah

I was in the same boat as you recently. I went with the 50" Samsung Plasma and I don't regret it at all.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to decide between plasma and lcd, both of which provide an excellent picture. In the end it came down to the fact that I could get the 50" for around $2000 and I didn't feel like I was compromising quality when compared to the lcd's.

5. Alenon12

im tending to agree with you and think that's what im going to do. Now my next question, i can get a refurbished one of the same kind (5305 i think?) for 1500 then get a 5 year warrenty for 300, so 200$ cheaper than the new one. Think it'd be worth it with having the warrenty for security?

6. Alenon12

well i had decided to go with the samsung 5073 plasma, however i was just off on my dimensions, it was 48.3 X 31.5 and my entertainment center could only hold 49 X 30.5. Guess ill have to drop down to a 46"

7. Alenon12

Can anyone recommend a good brand for a 46" LCD tv? Ive been researching all week and i still have no clue with what im going to go with. Even at 46" the samsungs with stand seem to be too tall for my entertainment center which is supposed to hold up to a 50" screen however all the tv's with stand go over 30.5" height which is the max for my entertainment center. Or can i use brackets instead of a stand to keep it in there? I cant exceed 49"X30.5" in my entertainment center which i didnt think would be a problem with a 46" however it sure seems to be.

8. AO

AO New Member

My local Fry Electronics had it on sale this past Saturday for $1199.99. So I went over to Bestbuy and had them price match. A 4 year contract was $250 (CircuitCity was $280 for 3 years). $50 delivery was waived, so I got it for free delivery. I just wish that I could have found the Pani TH-42PX600u instead (it has better sound). I wonder what Costco would have charged for a 4 year contract, although their price is $1599.99. Do they price match? Supposedly Bestbuy had it on sale for $1299.99 last week.

Panasonic TH-42PX60U Optimal Picture Settings (ISF Calibration)
    Picture Mode Standard
    Picture +22
    Brightness +8
    Color -1
    Tint -4
    Sharpness -14
    Color Temperature Warm
    Enhanced Black Level Off

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/panasonic-th42px60u-review.html (I see we were on the same wave length. :big grin: )

I'm also picking up an Oppo DV981HD http://www.oppodigital.com/ for $244 shipped. (My Pani DMR-ES45V is too slow; the Oppo should be an improvement just because of the DACs.)

Man, I hate the slow layer to layer transitions, I'm hoping that it's really fast because i can detect it on my 54MHZ Onkyo and my 108MHZ Pani.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

best buy warranty is worthless. you threw money away.

10. AO

AO New Member

I guess i didn't do my homework well enough. i was afraid of buying it at Fry's because they have a lot of returns and sell refurbs. That left Costco, CompUSA and CircuitCity. hmmm.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

CostCo has the best return policy. Some claim they sell lesser-quality products under the same model # (although I have not seen proof).

I'd say CostCo... Or Circuit City if you must do main-stream big-box retail.

12. AO

AO New Member

I'll tell you the truth - I'm not feeling the Plasma as I'm really a CRT man at heart. I'm waiting on the Oppo before I make a decision since I have 14 days to return it for a full refund. Then I'd likely pick up the Sony 34XBR970 for $999.99 and say the hell with plasma & lcd. I just wish that SED was out already, although it probably would be out of my price range, anyway. Time to fire up the Wii and PS2 and see what they look like through component cables.

13. Zeromancer

I don't have a local Fry's store :( so I bought it online for $1,199.99 with free shipping. I didn't buy it from CompUSA

Thankfully there is a Costco that is going to be built in my town :):)

14. Alenon12

im having a horrible time picking out a tv cause the dimensions of my entertainment center limit me. Maybe i could get brackets instead of a stand to hold it in there. Its a brand new entertainment center so i dont want to change that just for the TV, however i can hardly find any 46" lcd's with stand that dont go over 31" in height and the ones i have found are 500$ over my price range.

15. AO

AO New Member

I have my TV on a very sturdy and heavy TV table. Why? because if you build a TV into an entertainment centre you will most probably cut off air circulation, the TV will get very hot and will die prematurely. I'm the same way with my computer, I don't buy computer "desks," where the computer goes into a cubby-hole, I buy a a plain desk with a fully open back. My TV uses 400w - that's a lot of heat. LCDs get very hot, too.

You should be able to put a horizontal cross brace inside the entertainment centre, then "hang" the TV so that the bottom is 1" over the shelf but there is at least 4" above it. That should provide some air flow. But if the unit doesn't have air inlet holes on the bottom you may have to install fans to exhaust the heat.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  16. AO

AO New Member

My Pani doesn't allow me to adjust the Color temp or the E.B.L. I settled on sharpness at +19.

Picture Mode Standard
    Picture +23
    Brightness +5
    Color -1
    Tint -2
    Sharpness +19

17. AO

AO New Member

Zeromancer,

When you buy your Pani, if you go to 'Picture' and scroll down, there will be an area where you can set the Darkness level. It defaults to 'Light'. When I put it on 'Dark' and set the appropriate input to 'HD,' it defaults to 'SD,' the picture becomes much, much better. Now I can see where I can set the color temp to warm, cool, cinema.

I was all ready to send the unit back because Zelda: Twilight Princess looked like crap. After making those two adjustments I can now live with it. My S-Video looks like crap, so I figure if I set those two settings it should look much better.

Tomorrow my Oppo should arrive, so 'm hoping that it will fix the black blotchiness in 'Steamboy'.

18. Zeromancer

My panny was delivered yesterday. I didn't have time to hook it up yet. I did take it out of the box though. I have to buy a new tv stand to put it on.
    I will try the settings that you just mentioned.

19. AO

AO New Member

Zeromancer,

I broke down and bought "DVE, Digital Video Essentials" ($24.95) and had to turn the darkness back to "Light".

I watch my movies in complete darkness and to my eyes, I came up with:

Picture Mode: Standard
    Picture: +14
    Brightness: +7
    Color: 0 or -1
    Tint: +1
    Sharpness: +17
    Color Temp: Cool
    Color Management: On
    Video Noise Reduction: Off
    MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
    Black Level: Light

Yeah, I went and also adjusted it in "Warm" & "Vivid," (Vivid is a royal pain because it tends to produce skin blotchiness) and found that there's a lot of leeway. In the case of brightness it is really a matter of hearing - just listen to the TV set and you should be able to detect when the high voltage noise kicks in. Contrast is a little harder, too low and the calibration bars get noisy, so there is definitely a floor to it. Every time I adjusted the colors I would go back and adjust the brightness and contrast until I was able to get the red, green, blue filters to look as close as possible. Using the filters is a job in itself - I ended up putting the filter right up to my eyeball to make the adjustments. I ended up adjusting the blue and making fine adjustments with the red. The DVE navigation program is a royal p.i.t.a. if you don't want to sit and watch an hour of video. Joe Kane Productions needs to make a quick and dirty version and become the Nero software (PC burning software) for TVs.

On the Pani there are two holes in the stand base legs which can be used to anchor it down with the "right size" wood screws. The last thing you want is that baby flipping over. Make sure that you have long enough screws, though.

I can't wait for S.E.D. TV to come next Christamas - not that I could afford it, mind you.

I gotta hit the flea market for the biggest UHF antenna I can find, for the cheapest amount of money possible. Now I wish that I hadn't gotten rid of thatbig UHF array I had so many years ago. Who knew? If you have a UHF antenna in the garage, pull it out now. All I really wanted was to watch my football in high-def. Now I've gotten my wish with OTA High Def. I'm thinking of buying a $99 PC card just to capture and record High Def football games.

Good luck with your Pani. After making the adjustment, don't forget to leave it turned on to a strong signal for 24 hours straight.

[edit]The Oppo is a very good machine. I watched movies all weekend long and not once did I detect a layer change while watching a movie.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  20. AO

AO New Member

Zeromancer,

After setting up your rig, you may want to watch the end credits of the best mastered movie you have (in my case "Star Wars Episode III"). The credits should be against a completely black background. If you turn up the brightness you may see gray blotchiness, a moulty gray and black. Then turn down the brightness until it "just" goes away, until the whole background is pure black.

For me, the brightness level is now set at +4.