Plasma vs LCD vs RPTV?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kamikaze, Jun 24, 2007.

1. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

So, long story short: Bought a house, need a TV, not a lot of cash.

We don't have an HD source to hook up to it at the moment, but I will be playing my Xbox 360 on it, and HD satellite or cable is definitely a future prospect.

Now, I've looked at all three, and as far as I'm concerned, Plasma seems to look the best to me, followed closely by the RPTV's, and way behind are the LCD's, but I'm still left with some questions:

Are these things susceptible to burn-in like the old CRTs? I'd read recently that the Plasmas are really bad for that and i guess would mean that playing games on it would not likely be recommended. The thing I really like about the plasmas is the excellent viewing angles. Price to size ratio isn't too bad, but not as good as the others.

Are all RPTVs horrible for off-axis viewing? seems like there's only one spot you can watch an RPTV from, and that's directly in front of it, which kinds sucks for everyone NOT directly in front of it. The thing that keeps me looking at RPTVs is price to screen size ratio....it's pretty good, imo

Do all LCD's look.....well....pixely? Every LCD I've looked at so far has looked like someone's taken a picture that's about 100px sq, and blown it up to fill a 42" screen...it looks like ass. Is it just that they aren't running an HD source into it? I can't see myself buying an LCD even tho the price and screen sizes are good, unless there's either something that I'm really missing, or the few brands that I've seen were just crap.

Now, as far as screen size goes, I don't want less than 42", and I doubt that I'm going to find anything much bigger than 50" in my price range. The other thing is that I'm not going to be ready to buy for a few months but I wanna get a jump on some research, and I'm willing to wait a little bit longer to save up some more if it's a really big difference in quality. Also, I'm Canadian, so if you are suggesting specific models keep in mind that some may not be available here. I'd like to be spending about 1500-1800, but like i said, if there's some huge difference in quality, saving up for a couple more months is a feasible option

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

wait until mitsu releases its DLPs that use lasers

they should be intense

edit: nvm those are going to be really expensive, lolz

3. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

Yea, those do look really cool, and really expensive at the same time. I've been doin some reading since my original post and it seems like plasmas are extremely bad for burn in....and I plan on using my Xbox alot on it :noes:

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

DLPS are burn in proof, and cheaper per ", id just get a DLP

personally, id set a budget and an inch minimum idea and take some reference dvds and test shit out, for a bit more money u could probably get a dlp with the fancier technologys like the mitsu diamond line offers

personally for DLP i really like mitsubishis and some people will sackride plasmas but at the end of the day differences is going to be slim, keep in mind the law of diminishing returns as well, its like getting speakers, they all sound different but better is highly subjective especially when they all do a pretty decent job of reproducing sound.

so when ur looking at TVs look for reviews of models u might want and try to get color accuracy ratings etc to make sure they arent sucking balls, then get together a list of models that dont suck and then get some DVDs, like toy story, finding nemo, some super bit dvds, king kong on HD DVD, shit like that, stuff that has really strong picture quality that will test your screen, then take some notes on each model and then decide what fits best, dont worry about price, worry about what you want out of your screen, then either find a way to afford it or compromise to fit the price you can afford

something to that effect

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2007
  5. Zeromancer

Zeromancer Pampita's Love Slave

For good pic quality at a reasonable price I would get a Panny 42" or 50" Plasma.

6. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

well, i've been doing a little more reading, and I came across some new DLP's from samsung that use LED's instead of a lamp and colour wheel. This not only extends the lamp life to 40000-60000 hours (according to the Futureshop guy I talked to today) but also next to eliminates the lag. They had a 56" set next to a JVC LCD RPTV and the JVC playing the same thing always looked to be almost a split second behind the Samsung. The contrast on this thing rivaled some of the plasmas there, and the viewing angle was better than all the other RPTV's they had on display. They don't stock any of the conventional DLP's anymore so I couldn't compare it to the old style, but of all the RPTV's the LED DLP was definately better. It was a bit pricy tho, costing about the same as a plasma of the same size, but I won't have to worry about burn in or replacing expensive lamps.

They seem to be getting good reviews on the net as well :bigthumb: What does OT think?

Link: http://www.samsung.com/ca/products/tv/dlp/hlt5687sxxaa.asp?page=Features

7. fuzion1029

fuzion1029 New Member

They need to start making DLP's with 3 sets of mirrors rather than one with a color wheel. Those would be titg-ol-bitties.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have a 55" Philips RPTV and I fucking hate it.

Do yourself a favor and get LCD or Plasma

9. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

they already have those for large format projectors, like in movie theatres and such, and the new LED DLP like i was talking about a couple of posts up doesn's use a colour wheel either

10. Ronin

Ronin Guest

is that a non DLP rptv?

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

It's DLP HDTV 720p/1080i.

Overall, I hate it. You have to look at it at the right angle. Picture is progressively worse as you move away from this perfect spot (you can move either vertically or laterally, it'll get bad, regardless) until it's just un-watchable.

I am seriously considering just getting rid of it and replacing it with a plasma/lcd.

12. Zeromancer

Do it, you won't regret it.
    I'm extremely happy with my plasma. Only thing I wish I would have done is saved up more and bought the 50" instead of the 42".

13. Ronin

Ronin Guest

hm didnt know dlps had that bad of a viewing angle, even on the newest nicest ones is this the same story?

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well newer everything tends to be better. But do yourself a favor and don't go the cheap route. Get the plasma/lcd and you're MUCH better off.

15. Ronin

Ronin Guest

tell me if im wrong on this but isnt it with plasmas that they can be succeptable to room lighting?

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I believe they don't like flourescent lights. But why would you want those in your media room?

17. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

Alot of the plasma's that I looked at have glossy or reflective screens that are a pain in the ass. The LED DLP that I looked at had much better viewing angles than the other LCD RPTV's that futureshop had on display

18. Subiestyle

Subiestyle New Member

They do.....Sony SXRD series. Check it out. JVC LCOS is another one, but in many opinions not as good as the Sonys.

19. Zz_3.14_zZ

Zz_3.14_zZ New Member

LCD > DLP/PLASMA > RPTV

20. Zeromancer

Pioneer Elite Plasma > *

21. cacique78

cacique78 Member

LCD = Garbage

Buy this only if you have to have a flat but there is so much light in the room that it will glare to much of a plasma's screen. With the rear pros you do get more size for your dollar

And don't be swayed by that 1080p LCD bullshit either. Just about any decent 768p plasma will look better than a 1080p LCD