Plasma TVs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by KraZ, Jun 7, 2005.

1. KraZ

KraZ New Member

I want to start putting together a decent home theatre, but i want to make sure that i have a great tv to go along with it. I'm in lookin for a 42in plasmas, but i'm curious on the differences of HD ready and HD built in. Is it really necesary to have hd built in to the tv or could you have the same quality with an external hd tuner. Also i'm mostly concerned with external componets such as dvd and the upcoming XBox 360 and PS3, i really dont care about hdtv. So if someone can point me in the right direction and maybe show me a great place that i can get a good deal it would be much appreciated.

2. Shahrum

Shahrum New Member

This past weekend I purchased a 56" Samsung DLP television that was "HD Ready." Let me explain basically.

HD Ready -- You need to provide your own High Definition cable TV converter box in order to watch your favorite TV shows in high def.

HD Built-In Tuner -- You can pick up high definition straight thru the air via an antenna.

Both HD ready and HD tv's with built in tuners have special inputs, either DVI or HDMI (sometimes both), that accept high definition cable boxes. The purpose of a tuner is strictly to watch HD programming thru your antenna, and not thru a cable box.

As far as Xbox 360/PS3 is concerned, when I got my Samsung, I got it knowing well ahead of time that I'd be getting an Xbox 360 once it comes out. The Xbox 360 will input into the TV using composite inputs (Red/Green/Blue video inputs) and the TV itself, whether HD tuner or HD ready, will look the same and give you the same display.

Basically, HD Tuner/HD Ready is just referring to watching TV shows and whether or not you'll need a special box from a cable TV company or not. This does not apply or differentiate between DVD players, video game consoles, Media Center PC's, etc.

Personally, I'm not paying extra for HD programming (at the time being), I'm watching my shows in regular quality (thru a standard Cox coaxial wall jack -- digital cable) and DVD's and Xbox in high definition via composite inputs.

3. Shahrum

Shahrum New Member

* made some edits to my previous post, please read again!

4. KraZ

KraZ New Member

Thnx man that was exactly what i needed to know.