Plasma Mount

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by LeeNetworX, May 8, 2008.

1. LeeNetworX

LeeNetworX New Member

1. Our couch is 12' away and no, it does not hurt your neck to watch. We've had it up there since we moved in over a year ago and we are comfortable with it there.
    2. The firebox and piping has a warning on it that only 2" of clearance is needed, so no, the cables mounted on the studs will not melt or catch fire.
    3. With a full fire going, there is no heat to be felt above the mantle where the TV/speakers are. It seems all of the heat is directed outward from the firebox.
    4. ibyoudiditwrong

What the temporary situation was after we moved in.
    [​IMG]

Cut a huge square in the guest bedroom behind the fireplace for access.
    [​IMG]

Added 2 extra studs to the framing above the firpeplace; $2 in wood goes a long way in piece of mind that the TV isn't going anywhere.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Installed the recessed outlet and connected the wiring to the outlet on the guest bedroom wall - it's never used 99% of the time.
    [​IMG]

Marked holes for the studs.
    [​IMG]

Used CL2 In-Wall rated cables - also bored a hole for cables behind the cable STB and home theater unit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 HDMI, RCA component, coax - that's all I wanted for this because the basement finish job will include a mega-home theater. Just need a simple TV / HTIB / game setup here.
    [​IMG]

Inside the built-in cabinet.
    [​IMG]

First layer of mud on the hole repair in the guest bedroom.
    [​IMG]

The plasma grows impatient, sitting on the floor being unused and sniffed by the dogs. Mounting brackets have been attached.
    [​IMG]

Painted the wall where the TV will rest and fastened the wallplates.
    [​IMG]

Hung that heavy mother.
    [​IMG]

In the cabinet underneath is where all the wires are - still have to straighten them up and zip tie it all to make it look neat and clean.
    [​IMG]

But barely any wires to be seen up here.
    [​IMG]

Painted more of the wall. Ordered smaller lights for either side of the TV. Because of the corner studs, they are out as far as they can be.
    [​IMG]

Drywall in guest bedroom, with mudding and painting completed. Good as new.
    [​IMG]

Finally, new lights installed, painting almost completely finished in the living room.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

cool. I still think the lights are too close, tho. Might consider getting rid of them entirely if they cannot be moved further apart.

3. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

That hole you cut behind the fireplace was completely unneeded, along with the extra "studs". Loose the lights, otherwise good job.

4. LeeNetworX

LeeNetworX New Member

Incorrect. There was no other way I could staple the cables all the way down to where they terminate inside the built-in cabinet, in addition to tying off the excess and fastening it to the studs. Also needed to run the electrical around the other side of the fireplace, again, tacking to the studs. Cutting small holes and using fishtape or some other method would not ensure the cables would never touch the firebox or stack. If you disagree, please explain.

As far as the "studs" not being needed, as I said, it didn't hurt to add them. There's alot of things that aren't needed, but it doesn't hurt to err on the side of caution and do so.

5. David02

David02 Guest

Great job... nice clean install.

People will always pick on you for things you could have done differently. Bottom line is that you did a much better job than just about any paid installer would have done.

Only thing I would have done differently was use a receiver capable of doing HDMI upconversion. Could have saved you a little bit of time and money by only having to run 1 cable instead of 4. I really like your use of the wall plates though. :bigthumb:

6. cacique78

cacique78 Member

Really nice and clean! I personally would have used a tilt mount because even though you are far away now you'll never know. But very nice overall.Also does that Nintendo still work? Do you have it plugged in?

7. David02

David02 Guest

It is a tilt mount... just look at the brackets.

Looks like a Peerless mount to me. Am I right? :cool:

8. Original

Original OT Supporter

got the same tv :coolugh:

9. LeeNetworX

LeeNetworX New Member

Yep - it works. My in-laws found the box in a closet and told my wife to come get it or it's going in the garbage. We took it, and one new $8 edge connector later, it works good as new. :wiggle:

10. LeeNetworX

LeeNetworX New Member

It's a tilt, and I've since tilted it down from when the pics were taken. It's a Sanus, though. :hs:

11. LeeNetworX

LeeNetworX New Member

It's a good unit; very happy with it.

12. ssabripo

ssabripo Banned

great job on the wall mount.

the TV itself, not so much

13. David02

David02 Guest

:hs: You know there are a ton of worse choices out there than a Panasonic plasma...

14. Zeromancer

Zeromancer Pampita's Love Slave

I still love my Panny 60u

15. mojito

mojito New Member

seems like way too much work

start to finish of our new place

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]