MIL Planning to join the navy.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Harkell, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Harkell

Harkell New Member

So once I leave school (might decide to quit earlier) I am joining the navy (Australian navy). Probably as a Boatswaine Mate which is kind of like a weapons expert (they board illegal ships and such). Plenty of action and firepower. Also thinking of Combat Systems Operator (they look at sonar screens all day long). It seems really professional and I get to work with a lot of high tech machinery. Both earn $36,000 AUD a year (base wage), $10,000 service allowance (extra money given to every member of the Australian Defence Force below the rank of Commander or equivalent), seagoing allowance (providing I spend at least 100 days at sea a year I get an extra $10,000) and if I board a ship I get some extra money (probably negligible).

What are your thoughts on this? Can any sailors tell me what to expect and how life in the navy is?:)

2. Mangos

Mangos New Member

46k a year during your first year? :eek4:

3. Harkell

Harkell New Member

And it gets better. After three years my seagoing allowance increases to $15000 and that excludes promotions I may receive (we have serious recruitment issues in Australia).

4. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

USD? Oh nm... just read AUD.

46,000 Australian dollars = 37,632.6 U.S. dollars
    Courtesy of google.com

5. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

37k base pay for your first year is WAAAAY more than an E1 makes base pay in the US military.

6. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

No shit, as an E1 right now I make just over $1k a month. Yes that equates to just about $12k a YEAR.

no qualms, though. I love my job.

7. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

As an E5 (well paid E4) I pull in about $1800/month living in Japan.

$21,600/year

It makes me sad, upside is in 2 years when I'm out that will quintuplebazillion into at least $70,000 just because of experience & clearance.

8. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

E5 in Biloxi, I pulled around $25,495 base pay. Gross total was $42,240. No federal or state income taxes were paid.

9. TheNewMonaro

TheNewMonaro New Member

It ought to be said that the RAN is pretty much critically undermanned (to the extent they're often a sailor or two off not getting the ship out to sea), hence they're happy to throw money at the problem given the economy is currently strong, an example being some Army ranks are eligible for a 40k bonus if they'll sign on for another three years (usually around SGT or Captain level).

Harkell

Stay in school mate, finishing year 12 is going to stand you in far better stead when you get out.

Also expect to be screwed around by Manpower during the recruiting process, my experience has been rather negative, as has pretty much everyone I've spoken to. Expect it to take longer than you think but don't be afraid to start looking into things while still in school and seeing what of the process you can complete while still in school.

If you google around there's a couple of boards where current RAN members might be able to point you in the right direction.

10. Harkell

Harkell New Member

I'm almost certainly staying in school. I know recruiters qualms about punk kids with no life experience who just want to live out their favourite scenarios in Halo (though no one if Halo ever had to run for ten hours outside Townsville). Though you would think with the current state of the RAN that Manpower would be a little less picky about who they let in. And to think the government is planning to expand the Navy! They got no idea.

11. TheNewMonaro

TheNewMonaro New Member

Same deal with the Army, trying to delink 5/7 and re-raise 8/9 while they're finding it bloody impossible to hold on to qualified guys, especially in the CSSBs. Meanwhile they're struggling to find the space for all the people signing up for infantry.