Planning to get a new mac

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Apothis, May 22, 2006.

1. Apothis

Apothis New Member

I have an old 1Ghz G4 iBook with Panther so I'm not completely new to Macs (this was my first). That's what I'm on right now actually. I have a pretty smacked up tower that I built for Windows and Linux, but it is pretty much dead now. It has four SATA hard drives (2x80GB, 2x320GB). The hdds have been giving out for a while and as of yesterday it seems the last of them has quit and I've about had it with this pos system. I am not overly inclined to invest even more money into upgrading/replacing the hardware. Even before this I was hoping to get a new mactel for a desktop replacement and use bootcamp as needed. I was hoping to wait until early next year though, when Leopard comes out (and when I could better afford it and maybe some hardware upgrades would be out by then too). But now I don't think I'll be able to wait until 2007. I need this resolved soon. I normally would not consider myself having the money for this, but I technically can come up with it, and I'll have to.

I'll probably get a 20" iMac. I already have a 20" apple display and I just couldn't downgrade to a smaller screen now. I'm very interested in a mini, but I'm a gamer and don't feel it would cut it for me (though I've heard it does alright in that respect, I'll need something with more power). I'm wondering if I should try to wait a couple more months at least though. I want to see if Apple will do any upgrades to the series. I already got screwed with this iBook. They did all kinds of big updates like a month after I bought it (including a reduced price). I don't want that to happen again. The current iMacs have been out for a while now I think and it seems they might be getting due for a new update in the next few months. I really don't want to wait months, but I don't want to buy at the wrong time again either. Anyone have any insight into this or advice?
    :x:

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  2. Apothis

Apothis New Member

I practically jiz myself at the thought of having an intel powermac. But I've heard zero word on when they're coming out and they will probably cost more than I want to spend anyway. I'm more or less sold on an imac. I'll just be pissed if they get a massive upgrade and price drop a month after I get mine (like what happened with the ibook).

3. Kid A

Kid A '06 UK Crew

20" iMac FTW. Bump the RAM up and the graphics card and I'd imagine it would do most things you want it to. Sounds like your current Mac & PC isn't so hot, so anything is better than that - no offence. :hs:

Eventually I'l bump my RAM to 2GB but 1GB is working out OK for me at the moment.

Go Go Go

(We all want an Intel PowerMac but about 0.1% of the population can afford one :rofl: )

4. Apothis

Apothis New Member

I fully intend to get 2GB ram from someone other than apple, for half what they charge. Then figure out how to install it.

5. Inferno

Inferno New Member

Don't feel bad about the iBook bro. I bought my iBook 3 days before the new iBooks came out. I did get $115 credited back onto my credit card but still :o

6. Apothis

Apothis New Member

I got the "joy" of paying $1200 for the base unit. Then buying a ram upgrade from the old default 256 and then also got airport installed. Then shortly after, suddenly they come with default 512 ram, built-in airport, 1.33Ghz (from 1.07Ghz) and the ibooks were now $999. I was like .. :squint: (and I got no $$ back)

I basically wasted an assload of money for nothing. This time I'm looking at spending $1800+ on an imac and I hope I don't get another slap in the face like that. But this time I have http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ to consult. It seems like the imac is bound to have an update coming fairly soon. But how soon, I wonder? I could see waiting a month. But if it's not until December/Jan, that's too long to worry about.

7. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

why not get a macbook pro and connect it to your old display? Replacing both your desktop and your ibook.

Or if you're set on the imac, get a 17" and connect your 2nd display to it.

8. Apothis

Apothis New Member

I transfered $2000 to my main bank's checking account last night and will probably place an order today.
    :noes:

9. Kid A

Kid A '06 UK Crew

:run: Go Go Go!

10. jonny427

jonny427 Scooby Doo OT Supporter

:noes:

11. Apothis

Apothis New Member

Ok, the money posted by the time I woke up this morning, and I promptly spent it on:

I spent $1,982.25 this morning. This shit better be good. :x:

12. bonarparte

bonarparte beeeeh

im planning on getting the macbook, i cant wait anymore

13. clog

clog NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!11

me too :run: but I want to wait for the back to school special :noes:

14. thezak

thezak New Member

how easy is it to install 2 so-dims of ram in the imacs?

15. Apothis

Apothis New Member

From what I understand, it should be pretty easy. There should be two panels, one on top and one on bottom. Just unscrew them and insert the so-dimms.

16. thezak

thezak New Member

17. Apothis

Apothis New Member

The haven't been able to connect to gearlive, but I had read another guide that indicated a slot on the top and the bottom. But whatever. Either way there shouldn't be too much involved.

18. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

you will be pleased, i just got a 20" imac a couple months ago. it is the best computer ive ever used hands down. the memory is very easy to install, there is a small white grate at the bottom connected with 2 screws, undo those, pop the ram into the slots and then screw it back down and boot up. its that easy :bowdown:

19. Kid A

Kid A '06 UK Crew

What's the "Country Kit"?

Sound awesome dude, just like mine and I've creamed my pants everytime I sit down to it :bowdown: :rofl:

20. Apothis

Apothis New Member

Apple says it should ship on the 31st and arrive on June 7th. So basically, it will take a couple weeks.

21. Apothis

Apothis New Member

I don't know. I saw no mention of it until the order confirmation screen. I guess it's just what they call that package.

22. Apothis

Apothis New Member

Well both the ram upgrade and the imac have been shipped and are now somewhere in CA on their way to TX. I imagine I'll get everything sometime next week. In the mean time, I can keep obsessively checking their fedex tracking numbers.

23. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

20" iMac sounds like a big win for you :bigthumb: we have one at work, threw WinXP on it and it's amazing on both sides.

24. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

also obsessively checking tracking #s ftw :embd:

25. Apothis

Apothis New Member

The imac came today. I picked it up after work and installed the 2GB ram that had also arrived. This thing is so fucking fast. I've seriously never used a computer this fast before and I'm coming from a AMD64 3700 system with 1GB ram. Anyway, I've done my updates + firmware and right now boot camp is repartitioning my disk. I'm giving 15GB to Windows.