Planning system for new WRX

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by wcbjr, Feb 15, 2003.

1. wcbjr

wcbjr Active Member

This is for pure sound quality with a $2500 spending limit. I don't have any care whatsoever about adding subs and I don't want anything visible from outside the car. The amps will be mounted under the seats. Anything I have forgotten or need to change? Shipping charges have not been included in the list.

Code:
    eBay.com:
    Alpine CDA-7998 CD/mp3 player           499.00
    Focal Utopia 165W - front               489.99
    Focal Utopia 136W - rear                469.99
    Arc Audio 2050CXL (2)                   500.00
    Dynamat Xtreme bulk kit                  99.00

SoundDomain.com:
    Stinger 80 amp ANL fuse (3)              29.85
    Stinger HPM ANL fuse holder              34.95
    Stinger HPM distribution block (2)       31.90
    Stinger HPM 4 gauge cable (20')          30.00
    Stinger HPM 4 gauge ring terminal (2)    11.90
    Stinger HPM 8 gauge cable (20')          14.00
    Stinger HPM 8 gauge spade pack (2)        7.90
    Stinger HPM 16 gauge speaker wire (40')  18.00
    Stinger Dream 13.1' interconnect (2)     53.90
    Scosche SU03 wiring harness               4.95

NASIOC.com:
    East Coast Scooby door spacers             ???
    Forester single DIN pocket                 ???

Extra crap I already have:
    Heat shrink
    Remote turn-on wire
    Speaker wire / remote turn-on connectors
    Wire ties
    Crimp tool / wire stripper

----------------------------------------------

TOTAL:                                 2296.33

Thanks for any input.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2003
  2. 04

04 Guest

If the system is purely for sound quality, that is hard to believe you dont want any subs. The door panels arent exactly high quality enclosures. Plus, even with cabin gain, you arent going to get very low frequency extension with just speakers. Can it be done? Sure, but adding a stealth subwoofer somewhere would make things easier IMO. Also, if you are going all out sound quality, why are you bothering with rear speakers? Why not forget about those and save yourself 700+ dollars? Or spend that money on a subwoofer that can be fit in a very very tight space, hidden.

3. wcbjr

wcbjr Active Member

Ok, with that in mind, I wonder if it would be possible to somehow fit a pair of 8's in the rear doors, in place of the rear fill. Granted I would need to fab some sort of spacer and do some custom panelling. Would that sound at all good?

4. JimDab

JimDab The holiest lurker.

what about a 12" in the spare tire well? if you want real high sound quality you'll need a 10 or 12 at least for the lows. you can always call subaru roadside assistance when you get a flat tire while under warrantee :)

or maybe fabricate something to do with the trunk pass-through and cover up any small parts that stick out, i think ive seen that done before

or kickpanels?

5. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

the doors suck as enclosers build a box do it right

and no rear fill and if you are ging to spend teh cash for utopias put them in kicks

and do you plan to install your selff cause you will be way over 2500 if you dont

6. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

if you want to go that way, KICKER has a pair of shallow 8" woofers that might work for your application. :dunno:

[​IMG]
    If a three-way is good, then a four-way is even better – putting an ultra-thin Resolution Midbass between your sub and midrange creates the tightest bottom end you can imagine. Shallow enough to fit in a door (the 8-inch RMB8 is a mere 2-1/4 inches thick), tough enough to hammer you senseless – with sound and style to bring the bump up front where it belongs. If you’re short on space, they even go low enough to use as freeair subwoofers. An 8-inch sub in the door - that’s really Livin’ Loud!

Model RMB8
    Diameter(IN., CM) 8"
    Impedance (OHMS) 4
    Maximum Amplifier Power (WATTS PEAK) 350
    Maximum Amplifier Power (WATTS RMS) 175
    Sensitivity (dB 1W/1M) 89
    Frequency Response (Hz) 30-500
    Mounting Cutout (IN., CM) 7-1/4"
    Mounting Depth (IN., CM) 2-1/4"
    Grills Yes

7. wcbjr

wcbjr Active Member

Ok, seems like the best thing is getting rid of the rears.

Also seems that subs in doors is out. Kickpanels would be great but I have seen none for sale anywhere. Custom kickpanels are too expensive for my budget since I know nothing about fiberglassing.

I will be installing everything myself, along with an alarm to boot. I know my wiring. :)

So, I will have the 2-way separates up front, tweets and 6.5's, powered by the 50x2 ARC amp. For the sub, I guess I will fire one forward through the passthrough. My question is what sub and what amp? IDQ and another of the same ARC? The problem will be fitting the sub amp under a front seat. Also, the IDQ may be a little deep (size) for my tastes. I want something punchy that doesn't take a large amp to push it.

8. 04

04 Guest

That is not necesarily true. Using 2 8" woofers would most likely be louder than the 1 10", and would probably be close to equal with the 12", assuming they all have the same excursion.

The low frequency capabilities are independent of the size of the driver.

9. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

spend less on the compontes then there realy isnt much point in spening that much for utopias if yoru jsut ging to stick them in the doors and the fiber glassing isnt that hard its the aiming that sucks fiber glass is pretty easy once you do it

10. wcbjr

wcbjr Active Member

Given the fact that I am not going to be using kickpanels, what else could I do to get better sound quality? Say I went with less expensive components, what would that extra money give me in other options?

What about horns under the dash and mid-basses in the doors? ID makes a moderately inexpensive set...

11. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i love their horns, that's the only ID product i'm truely in love with.

12. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

well if you moount them in the doors they will most likeley rattle

i would get a cheaper pair of componets like a lower end focal and have them in kicks my kicks cost twice what my compontes did and id do it agin there are alot of shops that will do them

as for the sub id owuld plan on putting it in a small box if you are creative you might beable to make it hidden or almost hidden

most of your sound qualtity will coem from your install

13. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

I recommend getting the Stereo Integrity Magnum D12 for a sub. It's an all SQ type of sub made for super small enclosures and is only about $250.

Also, if you're going to be buying that stuff from eBay, I would recommend that you find out if the seller is an authorized dealer, if not, you may not see any warranty if something goes wrong.

14. wcbjr

wcbjr Active Member

thanks for the good tips i would have to say though that you need some punctuation it is really hard to read if you dont some sentences seem to carry on like they would never end it just keeps going doesnt it :fawk:

Also, Gavin, good point about the authorized seller.

15. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i try to add in lines ;)

16. JimDab

JimDab The holiest lurker.

17. wcbjr

wcbjr Active Member

I've tried getting in contact with East Coast about the kicks, but I haven't received a reply yet.

18. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

look for an audio shop in your area, i had mine dont at american car audio for 400 installed most run higer than that but def worth it imo, shop around talk to installers.