planning new computer - advise

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tefnut, Jul 27, 2004.

1. tefnut

tefnut build

Target is under 3000 dollars canadian. I want a X800 or 6800 or something equivalent for video card, and a Klipsch 5.1 or something equivalent for speakers... so that's already about $1250 dollars right there. This is basically a 'let's build an awesome computer' thing, in expectation of Doom 3, etc :drool:

Here's what I've been thinking of so far...

This is from NCIX.com... so two questions, first, what would you advise for the actual components, and secondly, which company would you get it from?

2. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

:athlon64:

...and beware the audigy 2. i yanked mine recently after discovering via the magic of google that many other people were having the same problems with bluescreens as i was having and the problems disappeared after uninstalling the audigy card (and drivers). i replaced mine with a turtle beach catalina and haven't had a bluescreen since.

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Switch to an antec power supply, one of the true power series ones that has the dedicated 5 and 12v rails, not shared.
    NCIX is a good choice on where to get it from IMO.

4. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

Honestly, wait until Doom 3 actually lands on your desk until building a computer. A lot of people are going wayyyyy out of what they'll need to run it smoothly simply because they fear that it will rape what they have.

Of course, I find a lot of people don't update their hardware every year like some of us ( :o ) so they may still have a P2 :mamoru:

And by the way, 1Gb RAM minimum and get a better case. I'd suggest the Antec Plus1080AMG.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2004
  5. tefnut

tefnut build

The alternative would be going into BestBuy and getting an HP Pavilion, which is essentially asking, "yes, please, piss on me" :mamoru: This is for a family member, I'm trying to convince the people I'm buying this for that someone buying high-quality parts > getting ripped off by some big company.

Seriously, the only real issue is whether I get a good computer in the 9600 XT and no speakers vs. a great computer with the X800 and Klipsch speakers. That's the $1000 dollar question right there.

These are two that I'm basically going to decide between...

The good:
    [​IMG]

The great:
    [​IMG]

6. Scoob_13

I spend a shit load on computer equipment (one day I'll post my desks and setups, maybe) and I still can't justify Klipsch 5.1's. Unless you're going to be able to set them up correctly, they're pointless.

I'd suggest switching out the Klipsch 5.1's for a matched pair of high quality 512mb RAM modules, and perhaps even a slightly better hard drive (SATA-based would be my first choice) for your main boot drive, and then add on 1 or 2 more drives to hold programs/games, data, etc. Not only can you optimize your system so that it would be better, but you'll save money in the short term and come out with a long term winner.

7. tefnut

tefnut build

Yeah, I was thinking about switching the Klipsch 5.1's for some Logitech Z640 5.1's... I'm not sure if the difference in price is worth it.

Can you explain what you mean about setting them up correctly?

8. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

IMO the klipsch aren't worth it unless you can turn them way up. I have the logitech z560's(4.1's) and my brother has the klipsch pro media 5.1's and at most volumes there's little, if any difference.

9. tefnut

tefnut build

Did you get a sound card for them? Most places say that if you're getting sub-100 dollar speakers (Logitech Z640's, for instance) it's enough just to run it off the motherboard sound.

10. Scoob_13

Correctly placing them so that you get the most out of the surround sound. Most people don't have a computer habitat that is good for placing rear channel speakers.

11. 1997 CL 3.0

1997 CL 3.0 OG since 00

If you do decide to order from NCIX it would be worthwhile for you to spend the $150 and get a premier membership which is valid for 1 year and gives you discounts on the stuff you buy. Also seeing that you're from Ontario you'd save on the PST if you ordered from NCIX. Btw I priced out the computer for you with my premier membership and it came out to $2600.33 so even after the membership you're saving $66 and you get discounts on whatever else you choose to order from ncix for one whole year. Generally things are about 10% cheaper with the membership but some items are even more discounted.

12. Julez

Julez Active Member

is the P4 3.0 an extreme? if not, why the fuck is it over 300 bucks.

13. Julez

Julez Active Member

oh its canadian. I'd recommend getting at least a 3.2 because already the 3.0 is some what obsolette

14. RandomGuy187

RandomGuy187 OT Supporter

Get one gig of ram. I have Klipsch 5.1 and they are amazing.