planning new apartment network

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by johnnywallywallace, Mar 21, 2005.

1. going to be moving to a new apartment this summer, and I want to plan ahead, make sure I get this network setup right.

I have a laptop that has no hopes of going wireless, a desktop that could go wireless, and plan on picking up another laptop that will be wireless. plan to go wireless with the xbox. would like to consider better-than-consumer grade equipment, especially Cisco ... having pro grade stuff around will make me more likely to get some non-software certs that I keep kicking myself about.

will be in a 2BR or large 1BR apartment, older construction, but hopefully not too much internal interference. budget from $500-$1000 total, including wireless card for existing desktop.

2. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

why would the laptop have no hope of going wireless??

pc card or usb adapters are readily available

3. Mark

Mark Guest

Usually, wireless routers have ports on them for wired devices.

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Win 95 or win 98 first edition?
    It's a real bitch to find a wifi card that supports win 98 first edition...

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Then install Linux, it has built-in support for many wireless cards.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

linux is *NOT* the answer... please stop posting that it is. WinXP is a much more practical solution.

7. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

not for a computer that was built to run Win95/98FE :ugh:

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

depends... XP can be optimized to run very efficiently on even older hardware.

9. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

If he doesn't want to spend the money on XP then Linux is a perfectly good solution. Even if he is willing to spend the money on XP, Linux is a perfectly good solution. In my experience, it's a bitch and a half to setup wireless to work properly on XP.

10. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I've got a DFE-680TX that has Windows 95/98 drivers. I'll sell it cheap!

11. it's a POS slow work laptop, used only for VPN. 90% of what I used to do over VPN I can do over Citrix Metaframe's web portal. The other 10% I hardly ever need to do anymore, as most of my development work has been replaced by third party CMS software. no interest in spending money getting a crappy work laptop over to wireless.

12. so back to the question at hand ... pro-grade equipment ... access point(s), switch(es), router ... suggestions? I'm virtually a network admin newb ... I've started but never completed CCNA training ... took a couple of courses back in the pre-wireless days in college, in 98/99 ... very willing and eager to learn ...

13. TV-MA

TV-MA Guest

uh.. you are joking right? Unless you have at LEAST a PIII 500 with 512MB RAM, I wouldn't even think of loaidng win xp, win 2k pro maybe.. but let's be serisous here for a minute.

14. col_panic

but you are spending money, why not just pick up one of these

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-167-108&depa=0

and 98 support is not a problem

http://support.proxim.com/cgi-bin/p...GVkIG9wZXJhdGluZyBzeXN0ZW1z&p_li=&p_topview=1

15. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Waste of money.... But its your money.

Access Point: Cisco Aironet 1231
    AIR-AP1231G-A-K9 $400

For Desktop: Cisco Aironet 802.11a/b/g Wireless PCI Adapter
    AIR-PI21AG-A-K9 $150

For Laptops: Cisco Aironet 802.11a/b/g Wireless CardBus Adapter
    AIR-CB21AG-A-K9 $125

And the notion that a Win95 machine cannot run the above cards is wrong. We have old DOS handhelds running these cards... For all those who want to grip about the useless 802.11A, its not an option on most Cisco G equipment.

Again its a waste of money, save yourself $500 and just go buy Linksys or Dlink or whatever is the daily fade of cheap devices. Unless your in a VERY large area you will not know the difference.

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I installed and then optimized XP on a Dell Latitude with a Pentium 166MHz chip, and 80MB of PC-66 memory. Ran just as well as 98 and 2000 did. The key is to optimize it.

17. but the point isn't so much the performance, security, options, features, detailed management and all the other bonuses you get in pro-grade equipment, it's the USE of the security and performance options and features and pro management interfaces that I'm willing to pay for. I've been a database and server programmer for years, I have a decent understanding of networking, above average, but not a pro-level understanding. having some pro-grade equipment at home is a step towards that understanding, IMO.

18. col_panic

i ran it on an AMD [email protected] with 160MB RAM. it wasn't terribly fast, but it ran

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

19. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

The security, perfomance and most features are really hard to test with just one or two devices. And you roommates are going to hate you when you block them from playing that game they want just because you wanted to play.

But with that said, I know the above part numbers because I have them at home. Its how I figured out how to maintain a couple hundred thousand square feet of coverage by Cisco 350's... (I just didnt have to pay for them!)

20. roomates? who has roomates? I'm looking at apartments in the "art district" of Rochester, roomy 1BRs or reasonably-priced 2BRs. being 25 and having roomates == the no getting pussy.

thx for the PNs, I was thinking Cisco Aironet & etc. (CCNA oriented and all), that's probably the way I'm going. fully testing those facets isn't necessary; having an administrative familiarity with a few of the devices involved is.