A&P Planning a trip to Haiti, tips on what to take?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by dmora, Feb 11, 2010.

1. dmora

dmora Guest

I realize no one does photo journalism here, but i was wondering if anyone had suggestions or ideas on what to take.
    I plan on being there 4-5 days.

So far i'm planning to take:
    ~20 rolls (36exp) of black and white film. (a few iso400, a few iso1600/3200)
    An old film camera with a 50mm f/1.4 lens.
    Extra batteries for it.
    Nikon D700
    70-200 VR
    35mm f/2
    14-24 f/2.8
    16gb + 2x8gb memcards
    2 batteries for d700 + charger
    tripod
    small day pack
    large bag for the plane
    Voice recorder for interviews/notes
    a few days change of clothes
    A tent
    water filter, iodine tabs
    some dry food, MREs
    knife
    soap

I need to find how to hire a translator and a place to stay. I'm going to call the local embassy and see where the white people are staying :mamoru::noes:

Ive sent a few emails to some of the photographers i've seen down there already but havent heard back... obviously it might be kind of hard to respond...

I'm not sure if i should bring my laptop but i'm worried i might fill up 32gb worth of photos and not have room for more.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2010
  2. alexromo

alexromo New Member

some fresh water, a barf bag, a tent, a gun, some pepper spray and a bullet proof vest

Im not even kidding

3. dmora

dmora Guest

Yea i know. :sad2:
    Gun and pepper spray arent allowed on plane/checked bag i'd wager.

4. Ty Webb

Ty Webb You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia

Don't go there

5. Chicle

Chicle New Member

who are you going with? Media agency? By yourself?

From the way it sounds right now it seems like you need to bring enough stuff to be self-sustainable also. (food, water...etc)

6. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

In all honesty if you have not been to a disaster zone before i dont suggest going now, alone, on your first venture. You need a mentor with tons of experience to teach you the do's and dont's. if you do go anyway, i wish you all the luck and will pray for your safe return.

Keep in mind, Haiti wasnt exactly a civilized people before this catastrophe, not too long ago be-headings and setting people on fire in the streets were all too common, so be careful.

7. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

friend of mine just got back from there.

i wouldn't suggest going.

8. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

You can pay Zoriah Miller $4000 and hell take care of you!

Of course you also have to pay for your transportation, and food, and pretty much everything else...

9. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

10. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

i wouldnt go in there with anything short of a platoon

no joke

11. tehshocker

tehshocker New Member

Realistically unless you're getting paid huge money, it's not work going down there at the moment, even if you are getting paid I would think about it very hard imo

12. dmora

dmora Guest

13. Ty Webb

I'd only go there if I had John Rambo by my side.

14. tehshocker

tehshocker New Member

15. dmora

dmora Guest

Lolol god damn those comments are ROUGH! But they do make very good points. I'm glad I could see that info. It gave me at least some info as to what I would need on top of photo gear, camping gear, etc.

I'll probably leave all my camping gear there for some family I meet... Who knows. I'm still planning. Gonna call the State dept soon.

16. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

what do you hope to get out of it?

you're already well passed the initial phase of disaster, which sad to say is the best phase for photojournalism

you're going to take a huge personal life risk to do this, and you may very well become severely depressed after seeing the shit down there

pack your bags and head to a nice country instead.

17. Chicle

Chicle New Member

18. dmora

dmora Guest

My professors asked me that too....I'm more than likely not going to be able to do anything for the people there, but it's something I want to see and experience for myself. I'm not sure how I would get depressed I'm fully aware of how shitty it was before... I can only speculate on how much worse it is now.
    As callous and cavalier as it may sound, I'm not afraid of death. :dunno: call me short sighted or ignorant or anything else. :dunno: I wanted to go there as soon as I heard about the earthquake.

19. dmora

dmora Guest

20. dmora

dmora Guest

Chicle, awesome links indeed. I see the problem much better now. Most of the concerns addressed are things that are at the forefront of my mind on this issue. I don't want to be some idiot pointing a camera at "pain and suffering" to pad my portfolio, or use the whole situation as a prop.

I don't know if I can effectively express what this undertaking means to me as a photographer and as a person. I wanted to do something in regards to issues like this for my Fullbright grant.

however, If I never start, how will I ever get better? I missed opportunity to help during the major tsunami that hit SE Asia, and also the fighting in Israel when Hamas started launching rockets into Jerusalem. I want to bring light to the broader world that gets pushed aside for pop culture.

21. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

The problem with Zoriah is that he claims to be teaching a workshop to benefit the people of Haiti and to show the type of suffering they are in, But these "students" could be anyone, they could be just people with no outlet. So in reality they will be shooting the suffering of others with no option to show the world. So in essence just capturing the suffering and death for their own gain. Thats not what journalism is about. Its about telling a story, telling a story to people that cant be there, or who cant speak up for themselves.

Thats the problem i have with Zoriah's workshop. For you as a person, really ask yourself, is it worth it to you. Death is a very powerful thing to witness. I tear up whenever i look at the photos, i cant imagine the impact it would have on me if i were actually the one capturing the images. Like i said, if you go, i will pray for you and a safe return.

22. Ty Webb

I'm even nervous to shadow a friend of mine who does NILMDTS bereavement photography at the Children's Hospital for the families.

It has its purpose though unlike the guy exploiting a horrible situation for exorbitant amounts of money.

23. Chicle

Chicle New Member

Completely understand what you are trying to do. Not sure this situation in Haiti is the best place to start. As brought up in the sportsshooter discussion, even if you do go how are you going to get your images out to the general public?

I'd say find something that you are passionate about, maybe Palestine-Israel, maybe something closer to home. Do some research on it, figure out how you would use those images to bring light to the image.

I got the opportunity to travel to Palestine and Israel last summer as a photojournalist. I really wish I would have contacted more places to get the images published to show what is going on there. I am in the midst of working on a photo book about the trip and hope to use that as a way to inform people of what is going on over there.

I think the biggest thing with an issue like this is to make sure you have a plan beforehand on how you will present your images and what will make them better than the other images coming out of there right now. You could go over there take some great images but when you get back have no "real" platform to present your images.

Just my .02 cents.

24. dmora

dmora Guest

Yea i completely agree... I'm looking at Nacthwey for inspiration. Always been a huge fan of his.

http://images.google.com/images?cli...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=5&ved=0CCAQsAQwBA

25. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

I still don't see the point of this... just because you want to say you did it? :confused: