Planning a pregnancy

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Cerridwen, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

We have officially decided to start trying to have a baby. Any tips or advice? It's been so long since I've been pregnant and it wasn't intentional so this is a very different perspective on pregnancy.

I've made an appointment with the doctor next week to have everything checked out and to get my vitamins. :)

Any words of advice?

2. Jonari

Jonari Well-Known Member

You're going to be a great mom. I know since all the perspectives you've given me with my relationship.

3. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Why thank you Wald. I hope things are going well for you right now. :)

We actually have a 9 year old daughter too.

4. big 1

big 1 New Member

well, the following i am about to tell you may be no-brainers, but here i go:
    1. stop birth control methods that you were on before
    2. if you were previosuly on the pill, dont freak out if you dont get your period right away.
    3. track your periods on a calander, this will help your ob/gyn determine your ovulation days
    4. Quit smoking if you smoke
    5. Start planning financially with your sweetheart , like 250 a month in a savings account for all baby needs...showers cover most things but yea youll need your own nest egg.
    6. Start eating more healthy foods, and taking viatmins. This will ensure your immume system and your body are in perfect shape for baby.
    7. RELAX!!! stress makes it more difficult to get pregnant....just realize that many couples take months before they conceive.
    8. congratulations about your impending baby

5. lauren

lauren Active Member

have you brought it up yet with your daughter? i might test the waters there a bit.

6. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Yes. We had a talk about it the other day and she was starting to open up to the idea. I have actually been bringing it up for the past 6-9 months since I knew this was coming eventually. She no longer seems adamently against a baby brother or a sister, so I think she will be accepting of it by the time it happens. She specifically wants a sister though. :)

I'm terrified to be honest. It's incredibly nervewracking and a little overwhelming right now. Hubby seems on top of the world excited.

7. RougeOgre

RougeOgre FS Librarian and MOD

Good Luck!

8. lauren

lauren Active Member

:coold:

an afterthought; personally, id finish school first, but im sure youve thought all the logistics out. :o

9. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

are you glowing yet

10. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

Good Luck :)

11. Jinx

Jinx Active Member

Buona fortuna!

12. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

It makes more sense to do it this way to be honest. I don't want to be having a baby when I am just starting a career, and I'm not waiting a couple of years (IMO it's already been too long and my children will be too far apart). This way (provided I get pregnant pretty soon, which with my history probably won't be too hard :o ) I will have some time to recover after delivering and before I start my next semester (fall of next year), I take most of my classes online and hubby will be going to school immediately after I'm done. If it works out the way it's planned, s/he won't have to be in daycare full-time until s/he is about a year and a half old. Financially it'll be a stretch, but who is ever financially ready?

13. LordOvenMitt

LordOvenMitt New Member

How old are you, by the way?

I think this is great! I am still young, but I think creating a human being with someone you love is amazing. Congratulations on the decision. :)

14. Ibanez Guy

Ibanez Guy New Member

I can't wait till we try for a baby. creampie everytime!

15. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I wll be 24 next Monday. It is pretty amazing. I feel this punch drunk puppy love type emotion every time I look at him right now. All day we've been looking at each other and giggling. It's pretty neat. :)

16. Sionell89

Sionell89 I grew up when I wasn't looking

Maybe this is not political to say, but DAYUM, you started early to have a 9 year old already. And to still be together is pretty amazing. Cudos. You must have some real fortitude.

As for advice, I think the biggest thing I stressed over was not having had the right dosages of folic acid when I needed them. I want to say that identifying folic acid at early stages of pregnancy has been the March of Dimes greatest contribution to healthy babies. The trick is that by the time you realize you're pregnant, you've either passed the point when it was needed the most or just upon it. So start taking it now and avoid the spinal cord crap shoot.

17. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I was planning on picking up prenatal vitamins tonight. :bigthumb: I picked up some pregnancy books from the library but it's a little early for that. I'm a little overeager :mamoru:

18. pigeon

pigeon wasabi

i don't have any advice that isn't already here
    but congratulations on taking this next step
    :kiss:

19. Lovely Atlantis

Lovely Atlantis Luscious Lovely Lady!

Congratulations! I envy you... I can't wait until the day when I will be able to get pregnant (when school is done and when we are financially ready etc). I fantisize about it all the time. Good luck to you and Congratualtions again! Keep us posted!

20. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

Given the fact that I exhaust all of my efforts making sure I don't get pregnant, I have no advice for you. ;) But I just wanted to wish you luck on conceiving! I couldn't imagine how exciting this must be! :wiggle:

21. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Trust me, it is *really* weird to be on this side of the fence. I have always been really concerned about unwanted pregnancy too, so it will definetly take a change in mindset for us. Thanks for the luck. I'm sure we'll have lots of fun trying :naughty: :mamoru: :o