Planning a new system...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sinbon1, Jul 30, 2004.

1. sinbon1

sinbon1 D:

Not to sure what im gonna do. Glassing in kickpods for sure, 6 1/2's on each side (possibly 2 on each side). Not sure what Ill be doing sub wise. Are thre any good 6.5s that could get close enough in range to where i could eq them cleanly w/ a 15? or should i be lookin for 2 12"s to make it clean enough. If I use a 15 it'll probably be ED's new A series whenever it comes around (system wont be together for a while and i have an Av1 I could use untill that time.) I wouldnt mind some good bass for say bass guitars... do high quality 12's do bass guitars well at all? my 15 was complete suck for it :( reasons im lookin at 2-3 6.5s per side up front. Any input is greatly appreciated :)

2. 04

04 Guest

The diameter of the subwoofer you were using (15") was not the reason you had poor bass guitar reproduction. A lot of factors, such as box size, tuning (if its ported), the subwoofer in question, crossover settings, eq settings, car dimensions and size, and even placement can all affect the sound.

So its possible that you may get even worse bass guitar sound by going with two 12" woofers. It really just depends.

Can you give some more details about your previous system?

3. sinbon1

sinbon1 D:

e15a tuned to 32 hz. pounded out some low stuff, but just couldnt do much above 80hz cleanly. major roll off. it was in a 300zx hatchback. box i designed myself w/ dimensions from someone else, and it got damn loud, just nothing high whatsoever.

4. 04

04 Guest

Did you have the crossover set really low? Also, if you had a remote gain on your amp, a lot of them dont increase the volume, but boost around 40hz or so. Something like that would explain what you are hearing.

5. sinbon1

sinbon1 D:

yea i had the bass boost up. i couldnt think of any other way to get the potential out of the amp??? crossover was set low because 120+ sounded like shit. What would you reccomend anyways for good bass guitar you can feel through the spectrum?

6. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

turn the bass boost all the way down, unless u like listening to distortion or causing the amp to send a clipped signal. low passing at 120 is a bit high but around 80-100 should work good. Remember u ported the sub tuned low, so ur not exactly going to get the same tight punchy bass as u would sealed.

7. sinbon1

sinbon1 D:

I know, but im not trying to make this sound better anymore. just looking for reccomendations to get bass you can really feel all throughout the range of say a bass guitar. and if thats not possible atleast alot more than i had..

8. sinbon1

sinbon1 D:

it was the bass boost on the amp not the HU just so you know. EQ on HU was set flat

9. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

u could try going sealed. u wouldnt get as loud or as low as u would with ported though.
    What amplifier is powering the A right now?
    yes....

10. 04

04 Guest

Turning the bass boost up wont necessarily cause the amp to clip.

11. sinbon1

sinbon1 D:

bx1000d was the amp

12. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

used right of course not....but most of the time people dont use it right, and it isnt needed in any way, so why use it ya kno.

13. boostin-gp

boostin-gp Guest

what kind of car are you working with? Two pairs of 6.5's will be dificult to fit in.

Here is a shitty picture of the fiberglass pods I made for my door. They are 5.25". There is NO way that two 6.5's would have fit in each side of the car without MAJOR modification.

[​IMG]

good luck! :bigthumb: