Plan of Attack for Detailing

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Jackie Treehorn, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Active Member

Thoughts on this?

I have a fairly new car, 2 months old, I've already detailed it with a few things I had in my stash, basically a couple coats of CK VM, CK Carnauba. I'm not happy with the it though, there are still plenty of minor swirls in the finish from however it was treated before I took delivery of the car.

I have some #9 Meguiars Swirl Remover, which from what I understand is a very light cut polish, maybe not abrasive enough? I'm just aprehensive about going to agressive on such a new car. I'm going to pick up a PC 7424, since that seems to be the way to go for the best results.

Do I need to worry about the existing polish and wax that is on the car before I go at it with any kind of swirl removers? Do I need to strip it somehow?

Here's what I was planning on doing

-Washing

-Perhaps applying Klasse AIO next or unecessary??

-Meguiars #9 applied with PC and light cut pad or #80 if you think that would be better?

-CK VM applied with PC

-A sealant next, perhaps EX-P? Applied with PC.

-CK Carnauba Wax by hand.

Maybe that's to much?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

When you get the PC, go with either the Meguiars or Propel pads (www.meguiars.com or www.exceldetail.com) and Optimum Polish. (autogeek and excel carry it, plus others). You can first use it with a cutting pad and a speed of 5-6 making very slow passes (about 1/2 to 1" movement per second), normally, you will need to make about 4-7 passes at that speed. Optimum can be worked for a very long time. Just FYI, if the polish with a cutting pad isn't strong enough, then the Optimum Compound with a cutting pad should be. Then switch to the polishing pad and go with Optimum again and use similarly slow passes with the PC's speed on 5. At that point, your finish should look outstanding.

After that, I'd go with Vanilla Moose and follow with EX-P if you have a lighter colored car and Carnauba Moose if it is a darker colored car. If you want to use both, apply EX-P first, let it cure 24 hours before applying CMW. BTW, CMW works best when applied with a finishing pad and a speed of 3-4. Apply to the entire car then go back and remove.

3. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Active Member

Excellent. Thanks Scott.