A&P Plain subject with very dark background - how?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Alt+F4, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 official OT hockey stud

My wife is six months pregnant, and since the whole reason I bought the D70 was to take shots of the baby, I figure I should learn how to take shots like these. I assume a black draped background, but what about the lighting? Any post-processing to the background to make it pitch black?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That bottom one...her legs and torso have been completely blacked out...but everytime I try that it's quite obvious and looks really odd. How can I get shots even somewhat close to these?

2. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Use black velvet for your background. It will soak up any extra light. For lighting, use a softbox or other soft bounce light. Don't use direct flash. Bounce the flash off of a white surface like foamcore.

3. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 official OT hockey stud

Cool, thanks. For lighting...I don't have a hotshoe flash (or at least one where I can bounce), nor do I have a softbox. If I were to use a worklamp or something like this:

[​IMG]

...could I just bounce those off a white wall? Or maybe the ceiling?

4. mojito

mojito New Member

put up a white sheet in front of them and stretch it out, this will diffuse tht light so its more spread out

keep in mind that they're called hot lights for a reason, you'll both be sweating in no time if thats in a small room

5. f/2.8L

f/2.8L New Member

Werd.

6. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

its pretty easy to do with a speedlight and a diffuser such as a stofen. its also a lot more practical than some halogen worklights.. just thought i'd throw that in before you bought the chicken roasters.

7. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

You could but the quality of the light won't be nearly as nice. One thing about a softbox is that it not only diffuses the light but it directs it as well. Bouncing light off of the walls and ceiling gives you light everywhere, which is not always a good thing. Bouncing light off of a piece of foamcore or sheet placed close to the subject will give you better directional control.

While on the subject, when you set up your makeshift "studio" do so in an enclosed room with the shades pulled down to make it as dark as you can.

Finally, using these "worklights" will give you an incorrect color tempreture that you'll have to correct in PS or by carefully white balancing your camera.

8. mojito

mojito New Member

[​IMG]

produced something similar to this

[​IMG]

9. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

I used a black bed sheet, 50mm, and a EF-500 sigma.

[​IMG]

With a bit of fiddling with Gamma and layers

[​IMG]

You could always over expose and darken with Gamma rather than fiddling with layers

10. mojito

mojito New Member

farther the background from the light the darker it will become. velvet is the best at absorbing, but make sure it doesn't have any sheen to it or it will reflect light. sometimes you have to make a black flag or GOBO (something to go inbetween the light and subject or background) to block stray light

11. If you want to do the work lights and bed sheets thing I would.....

You will need to use 2 rooms of your house.... The room with no windows or outside light will be your studio.

Step 1
    In one room set up the lights facing the entrance to the next room (studio room) and if you want to set up a fan blowing towards the lights that would be pretty cool but not necessary.

Step 2
    Get a white bed sheet and stretch it across the entrance to the other room (studio room) and secure it to the wall as tight as possible so it will be like you are trapped in the room.

this will enable you to direct the light like a soft box but the only downfall is that you will not beable to move the light source.

12. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

That baby kinda freaks me out.

13. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

you get freaked out by a baby? :eek3: