GUN Places to buy cheap range ammo?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ManinCamo, May 15, 2004.

1. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

Walmart has stuff, Winchester and Remington $8.67($9) for 180gr .40 cal, and about $12 for 165gr for 50 bullets

I did the math, and the $9/box worked out to $0.18 a shot, but I buy that stuff up and they don't restock it fast enough

looking online at ammoman.com i can get 1000rds of Speer Gold Dot for $179 (155 or 165JHP w/centerpost) - Essentially $0.18 a shot - $0.179/shot

or I can get wolf ammunition (FMJ, 180gr) for $75 for 500 shots, $0.15 a shot

Opinions on wolf?

Places to get cheap ammo?

2. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Walmart. That is good ammo

3. Car Freak

Car Freak Guest

Wolf sucks in most semi-autos, the steel case will beat the crap out of nearly all extractors too. Save the Wolf for Russian made guns built to handle it.

The WalMarts around here stock Winchester Value packs, they contain 100 rounds. .40 S&W is $14.97, 45acp is $19.97 and 9mm is $10.97. It's good shit, and the brass is reloadable too if that's your thing.

4. RRTX

RRTX New Member

The only thing I will shoot Wolf out of is my SKS. Almost all of my handgun target ammo is the Winchester value packs from Wal-Mart

5. ryanbum

ryanbum Its the one that says Bad Mother Fucker on it

Cheaperthandirt.com or ammoman.com I usually buy Sellier & Bellot ammo. It is cheap, a little bit on the dirty side but that never hurt anyone except a few extra minutes cleaning. Plus you can save the brass for reloading.

6. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

$15 for 100 rds?

I havn't seen the 100rd value packs in .40 cal, only in 9mm

Maybe I'll make a special request.

Visiting the shop where I bought my gun, I was able to get American Eagle 165gr .40 for $8.50/box so I bought 500 rounds of that to tide me over for the next week or two (just got my gun, and I have lots of free time for the next month).

he cut me a deal on that price, and also he sells hydra-shok @ $18/box for 50, so I bought a box of those at 155gr, and two days ago I bought at box of 165 gr.

I'll talk to a walmart manager type person for sporting goods and see about getting the 100 rd boxes in.

I don't reload, as I just got my gun and its the first I have OWNED myself...

tips/suggestions on reloading? I don't know if i have the patience to reload - plus my nice new gun has a lifetime warrenty, which is nullified by reloads (not that I think they'd actually be able to tell)

7. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

i now use wolf polymer in my AR, since there's no laquer. it's pretty good for all-the-time practice, so long as you switch in some nato loads so you don't lose touch with the feel of the higher recoil of it.

$109 shipped is what i just paid for a case of .223 wolf polymer.

8. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

my biggest tip would be to buy lots of books on how to reload and take your time. i dont want you to think its hard, it really is not. but i do want you to know what you are doing. buy lots of books. all the major bullet manufacturers make reloading books as well as rcbs. i just have the basic setup right now, press, powder scale, dies, tumbler and i love the cheap ammo and the fact that i can put them back together.

9. spyder007

spyder007 Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

I use cabellas.com and cheaperthandirt.com for all my range ammo needs

10. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

walmart winchester whitebox is perfect for the range

11. Painkiller

Painkiller Sometimes remembering is better than forgetting

12. Volkl

Volkl New Member

I normally use the Wal-Mart whitebox. I too get 100 rds of .40 S&W for 14.97.

I tried Wolf, and was not able to make it through 50 rounds. In 30 rounds, I had 18 jams. One was truly scary, I thought my gun was ruined.

I also have used some stuff I got from Georgia Arms. I bought it off of gunbroker.com and had no problem with it. I got a case of 1000 .40S&W for $117 shipped to my door. It is reloaded, but seems to be of great quality. I had one misfire in that case. It is not jacketed though, so it makes a mess and I have heard it is bad for your barrel...

13. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

Ditto

14. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

Walmart Value packs are the best deal out there right now.