place to search for tires by size?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by AVengeance, Jun 17, 2009.

1. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

I'm looking for a website where I can search for tires by size. Any ideas?

I've looked around, and most every place has you click on the make/model of the tire, THEN you see what's available in that model. Others go straight to a vehicle search, then you're only shown what's available in your OEM size.

I'd like to swap out the 110/70-17 and 130/70-17 tires on my 250r after they've seen their useful mileage, and I'd like to know what'll fit on my wheels and what's available. I'd LIKE to find a 120/60 for the front and a 140/60 for the rear... if anyone makes them.

2. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

130 is the largest that will go on your rear. It comes with 120's stock anyways.

3. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Kawasaki website says 130 (R) and 110 (F), and that's what my bike has (it's an '09 250R). It's new, and they're still the OEMs. Just trying to see what will fit and what's available before I need tires. Also, I know a little about car tires (my wife and I race) but not so much about bikes. So please forgive my learning curve. :)

I'm looking for something slightly wider and slightly smaller OD (I'll make the ratio change back up with a rear sprocket change). This would get the bike SLIGHTLY closer to the ground for shorter riders (my kids).

4. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

Why wider? The profile won't be right.

5. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

A tire that is slightly wider and slightly shorter (outer diameter) will slightly lower the bike and stiffen the suspension (a tire is part of the suspension on any vehicle), as well as provide a slightly wider contact patch. I'm not looking for a phat wheelz conversion or anything, just a mild performance increase over stock when the time comes for a tire change.

6. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

You're not going to get any performance out of a wider tire on a 250. It will simply not turn in as quick.

7. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

As I stated above: the profile won't be right, so the bike won't turn the way it's supposed to.

And in fact, on real sportbikes everyone who likes turning likes a 120/70, even though a 120/60 is also available.

8. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Hmmm.... okay. I'll see what other ways I can lower the seat height then, and keep the OEM tire sizes.

9. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Here, if you need to lower it, read through this

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Lowering

10. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Thanks! You're useful no matter which subforum you're in. :bigthumb:

Looks like a balanced approach is best, or maybe a little MORE in the front than in the rear, to keep or improve handling characteristics. I don't want to do anything extreme, I just want to make the bike easier for my kids to learn with, and so I can get my feet closer to flat on the ground.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  11. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

you can also look into getting a seat from tobin his seats are cut from stock seats to drop you lower and will cut to your waist size to for a more comfortable ride he usually does busa seats but i've seen other sport bike seats on their too and they are very widely used on my busa forum they all say they're really comfy