Place to buy STI brake pads and rotors

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by mrrolf, Oct 23, 2007.

1. mrrolf

mrrolf New Member

Any recommendations for a place to buy brake pads and rotors for my '04 STI?

Thanks

2. Phx Cobra

Phx Cobra OT Supporter

Cobb tuning has some good ones.
    I just bought some EBC yellowstuff pads for my 04 STI. Putting them on Wednesday. I will let you know how they do. My friend really likes them on his Mustang.

3. Vicious-S

Vicious-S New Member

porterfield pads are good enough for porsche roadrace cars, they're good enough for anything I drive. brembo blank rotors.

4. MR. Marti

MR. Marti New Member

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You're going to hate those Yellowstuff pads, Phx Cobra. Yellowstuff is for racing, which despite your purchase of an STi, you probably don't do very often. You'll get shit for stopping power while they're cold.

Redstuff gives better grip on the street. Greenstuff doesn't give enough grip, but is good for rear brakes on cars that use their rear brakes too much (like my car).

6. DINide

DINide New Member

hop on the NABISCO forums

im getting 4 slotted powerslot rotors, hawk hps front and rear pads, goodridge ss brakelines, and brake fluid for ~$570 shipped for my 02 :wiggle:

7. Rich

Rich New Member

Subaru Dealer?

8. DINide

DINide New Member

if you wanna grab your ankles

9. MR. Marti

MR. Marti New Member

hahaha dude i can so crush that price!

10. Phx Cobra

Phx Cobra OT Supporter

I like them so far :dunno:
    Stop on half a dime, way better then anything else I have had.
    They do squeal like a mother when stopping though. However I need to get my rotors turned and use some anti-squeal and it will probably reduce significantly.

11. The problem with pads like the Yellowstuff and the other street/track pads is that you have all the disadvantages of a track pad (noise, dusting, short life) while you have none of the advantages of a real track pad on the track. They'll overheat and self destruct in 1 lapping day, if you ever use them on a track. The truth is that if you want a pad that is truly suitable for the track, you need a real track pad. For the street, something like a Redstuff, porterfirld R4S, ferodo ds2500, Hawk HPS will suit daily driving better. For the track, get a real pad. Personally, I am in love with the PFC 01 compound for track use. I've used the PFC 01's on the street before, for about a month. The cold stopping was terrible, but once they got some heat in them, they like to grab and lock the wheels at low speeds. Also, the normal small amount of drag that disc brakes make causes constant squealing. Race pads are for the track.

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It won't make a damn bit of difference. Yellowstuff just isn't made for the street, unless your street driving involves stoplight racing and threshold braking. :noes:

Switch to Redstuffs in the front, and either Redstuffs or Greenstuffs in the back (depending on whether you want to get rid of the initial rear brake bias that apparently all cars have nowadays), and your stopping will be fast AND quiet.

13. Phx Cobra

Phx Cobra OT Supporter

Yea rotors are turned and squeaking is almost gone....:rolleyes:

14. I bet it comes back.:eek3:

15. Phx Cobra

Phx Cobra OT Supporter

The rotors were real fucked up, from the last pads hitting metal on metal. We shall see.