PL Drama of the day - Scott Smith offers Chuck V. 10,000$

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by NUDES, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NUDES

NUDES New Member

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/6381

If he beats him in a USPF meet - Single ply gear, walked out squats, etc.. This all stemmed I think from lots of people saying most of Chuck V's squats are high.

Video of Scott Smith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqNciTeqDhQ - 570x1 raw bench

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjT32fBH3PA - 771x3 raw squat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaQXqUB2F-w - 750 raw DL at NERB

10,000$ is a lot of money for lift for one afternoon with no risk.. there's no stipulation that I saw that says if Chuck loses he has to pay anything.

I highly doubt he'll do it.. but still.. funny read

2. NUDES

NUDES New Member

My opinion is that Chuck would lose in the USPF and easily win in his fed.

Chucks squat style is extremely tailored (probably the best example of all squatters) to his fed.

Extremely, extremely wide (which you can't do when walking out)..

Chucks bench is only in the mid 5's with a 2 ply bench shirt, right? Smith can raw bench more than Chuck can shirt bench.

And it's not like Smith is poor at anything else. He probably has a mid 8+ raw squat.

I'm a Chuck sackrider as most people here are but Smith is a beast and it'd be in his fed.. I'd go with Smith for my money. Chuck is one of the best squatters in the world in his fed, but walking stuff out and going deeper is a big difference.. and no 2 ply, no breifs, etc..

3. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

:rofl: @ scott smith

4. NUDES

NUDES New Member

What's so funny ?

5. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

if he really thinks he is better why doesn't he compete against chuck in a multi ply meet?

6. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

online PL drama

7. NUDES

NUDES New Member

I donno, I don't know him. I think Smith tried a run at 2 ply awhile back and didn't like it/wasn't good at it.

But still, what does Chuck have to lose? It's $10,000.

8. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

very true...

I bet chuck could squat 900+ in single ply gear if he trained to, he could bench mid 500's in a single ply and pull low to mid 800's...it'd be a close call but for 10K why not give it a shot...

9. NUDES

NUDES New Member

Yeah but it'd cause a huge ruckus. If Chuck lost which I think he would.. the drama and hate that is assosciated with all things PL would increase and it'd become even more pathetically divided. You'd have the USAPL, IPF, and USPF saying that 2 ply monolift squats are a joke.. and you'd have the 2 ply feds saying something was wrong with the meet, it wasn't fair, etc etc..

But still, who gives a shit? It's $10,000 to compete in PL. That's gotta far surpass in prize money to anybody ever offered in the sport.. ever. Yes?

10. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

as far as I know...way more then the WPO "handed out"...

If chuck jumped into single ply gear and tried to lift in a USPF meet next week he would have a lot of problems. But, I think if he had a few months to train he would do very well. The guy is a freak.

11. NUDES

NUDES New Member

No doubt he is a freak. I love watching Chuck, nigga can pull as well as squat, which is become kind of a rarity nowadays. But I still think he'd lose.

It'd still be great to watch though.

12. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

Chuck can't even pull and squat in the same day any more in training because his back is so fucked up. I can't imagine Chuck accepting the offer, it would change everything he does just to go to one meet. His entire training style would change and I'm pretty sure Louie does not support the USPF anymore, so it wouldn't fly either.

13. NUDES

NUDES New Member

A shot at 10g is a good chunk of change to change your training around I would think..

And this one meet would do what being a "professional" powerlifter should do -- and that's give you a shot at real money, not BS.

14. scent of a wookie

scent of a wookie OT Supporter

is it really about the money for these guys? doubt it

15. NUDES

NUDES New Member

No but to ignore $10,000 like it means nothing doesn't seem smart. What does he have to lose? I don't get it.

And while big time PL's are definitely not in it for money if you asked them if they COULD make money off what they were doing would they do it, they would say yes. PL has been riddled with bullshit, small, tiny payouts that sometimes don't even happen since it was around.. I just think it'd be cool to get 10grand to lift.

As far as strength sports go PL is the worst for payout/money. As you see in the thread on PL watch there are other 275 pro's in the APF and other feds willing to do it, like Charles Bailey... because you'd kinda have to be stupid or just unable to do it to not go and compete with no risk at all.. there is no potential loss. It's not like he has to pay 10 grand if he loses.

16. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

if he doesn't do it, i will

17. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

and I also believe chuck could give him a run for his money (literally)... chuck has been through and has been an animal at all levels of powerlifting, from 20 years ago to today. He's not gonna be squatting 1100lbs, but you don't need to in USPF. Chuck would still be good for at least 2200 in USPF (IMHO). But, I wouldn't spend too much time dwelling on this, I just can't see it happening.

18. NUDES

NUDES New Member

It won't happen, but Smith has totalled more than 2200 in the USPF. I think it's like 2320. Chucks big downfall would be that Smith can raw bench Chucks max shirt bench. That wouldn't be good.

I think it'd be entertaining though.

19. Memor

Memor Active Member

:werd: it's entertaining drama, but kinda like chris hinted to above, i don't really see anything good coming from it regardless of who wins or lose, just probably 400x the fed-hate and 14 new federations then being created

20. NUDES

NUDES New Member

But while it'd be hate this would be good for PL I think. Big rivals of the best.

It makes shit exciting. It'd be sweet to see this happen in the USPF then some of the IPF/USAPL guys go compete in the 2 ply feds.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  21. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

Chuck is a 650ish shirted bencher... the USPF is dying and this is one of their attempts to bring attention to their fed. They recruited Hoss Cartwright (because there arent a lot of APF meets in Cali) and got some press in SuperTraining's dvd because of it. This just seems like another attempt to hold off the inevitable.

It would be more fitting for Scott to call out Greg Panora if he wanted to call someone out. Chuck is going to be done soon... the injuries he's had and his age are starting to show. It would be real interesting to see, though. Chuck has walked out and completed a mid 8's squat @ 220 in competition.

22. BarbaraWaltersPegleg

BarbaraWaltersPegleg Irish Guido

I dont see Chucko doing this at all but I have to admit that is a humungous call out... damn.

23. NUDES

NUDES New Member

I didn't know his bench was 650's shirted. I thought it was lower.

It'd be sweet, but won't happen. Too bad. I notice most PL's are hating on the idea forum-wide.. and I don't really understand why.

24. TZ

TZ Banned

i like watching raw powerlifting so much more than geared lifting :hs:

25. RICK RO$$

RICK RO$$ Active Member

I can watch guys bench 3-400lbs in my gym every day. I'd rather watch people lift crazy weights.

Of course watching people raw bench 600 is awesome but doesn't exactly happen very often.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.