GUN Pistols for sport shooting vs. pistols for home defense

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by cypha12, Sep 18, 2002.

1. cypha12

cypha12 Guest

What would you look for in a pistol if you wanted to start sport shootin vs. a pistol you would use to defend your home? What would make a good beginner sport shootin pistol?

2. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Foremost, you're obviously wanting something you personally shoot well with. After that;

Sport:
    light, short trigger pull
    accurate
    long sight radius
    good balance
    big aftermarket support

Home defense:
    reliability
    caliber with good ammo selection
    ease of handling, particularly in low/no light situation
    availability of some sort of weapon mounted white light
    tritium sights
    high capacity mags available is a bonus

The 1911 is pretty much the customization king, but i think a Glock 34/35 which we were just talking about elsewhere would be a fairly decent first competition gun coming with a few trick features at a reasonable price. Not really my bag of chips, hopefully someone else can chime in here.

3. Pure Energy

Pure Energy Guest

Ruger MKII w/upgrades. If you've got the money, you can't pass up a S&W 41.

4. Bdog

Bdog ...but do I really care?

Glock 22 or a Glock 22. Might as well have one that does both. Depend on what kind of sport shooting. IDPA style or bench pistol shooting. I use the no external safeties as a plus on either occasion. For sport or home you just pull the trigger and it is the same trigger all the time. They are also pretty accurate. At 10 yards I can cut a quarter hole of 16 rounds with mine. All I have done extra is a Stainless Steal guide rod. I may get an extended ported barsto barrel. Just my 2 cents