GUN Pistol-packing Pa. soccer mom loses gun permit

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Sep 24, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Pistol-packing Pa. soccer mom loses gun permit
    http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i_p8pCxi6envpnbzKWIKtxQyXWtQD93D87OO1
    1 hour ago

LEBANON, Pa. (AP) — Officials in Pennsylvania have revoked a woman's concealed-weapons permit because other parents complained that she was carrying her loaded handgun at her daughter's soccer games.

Meleanie Hain says she's fighting the revocation by the Lebanon County sheriff.

Hain lost the permit and got a warning from local soccer officials after a game on Sept. 11.

Sheriff Michael DeLeo says openly carrying a weapon to a youth soccer match shows a lack of judgment.

Hain tells the Lebanon Daily News she's always openly carried a firearm without any problems in the past.

And her lawyer — Robert Magee — says that while Pennsylvania requires a permit for a concealed firearm, it doesn't require a license to carry one openly except in Philadelphia.

====

Open carry is legal in PA. I don't see how they cant revoke her ccw over it?

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

in for lawsuit

3. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

It's always easy to tell when squiddy has been browsing THR and posting shit out of the Legal forum. :mamoru:

4. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

fixed

5. Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock Blistering Barnacles OT Supporter

Well she'll get a nice little settlement

6. Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock Blistering Barnacles OT Supporter

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It shows a lack of judgement because we all know damn well how fired-up and irrational parents get about everything remotely involving their children, and having a gun handy in a situation where people are known to get pissed off and get into knock-down-drag-out fights does show a lack of judgement. It's like making toast while you're in the bathtub -- sure you can do it safely, but it's an unreasonable risk compared to the inconvenience of stepping out of the tub in case your toast pops before you're done.

In this case the inconvenience would be having to run ten strides to your car to get your gun, in the 1:million chance a crazed shooter does show up, yet none of you gun-toters has the balls to just tackle his punk ass. On the other hand, the chances of that gun getting discharged during a fight with another parent -- whether intentionally or accidentally, whether participant or bystander -- is much, much higher than 1:million, and the outcome is guaranteed to be bad.

Most of the time I'm cool with someone having a gun as long as I have any reason to suspect they know HTF to handle it, but from a peacekeeping perspective, I totally agree with the cops in this case. Too much risk, nothing at all to gain except more breathing room for her ego.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  8. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

If there's a 200lb fire-breathing soccer dad heading my way the last place I want my gun is in my car.

9. deusexaethera

Yes, you would want your gun in your car, to keep you both out of a hell of a lot more trouble than could possibly happen without a gun in the mix. What, are you going to shoot the bastard in front of his kids, or even threaten to? That's a total non-starter -- the instant weapons come out at a social/recreational event, the fun is over, and probably permanently, even if nobody gets hurt.

So I suggest two alternate strategies:

1. Don't fucking piss him off to begin with;
    2. If he's coming at you for no good reason, ask for help! If some big dude's coming at you looking for blood (and keep in mind we're talking about 10 feet at most, not hundreds of feet), you'd have to be a damn good shot and a pretty calm person in general to even hold your gun in his face when he's that pissed and moving that fast, much less get off a shot that would bring him down without causing permanent damage. You'd be much better off with several other parents tackling him from the sides and back where he can't defend himself -- or see, for that matter.

10. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

She was not jogging, therefore she should carry her gun. /thread

11. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

maybe instead of promoting parents fighting over a trivial fucking ball game, you can advocate for more people to stand up for our civil rights.

you fucking cock smoker.

12. merlin

merlin OT Supporter

1) She has a legal right to carry it so nothing should have happened.
    2) This does not change how much of a paranoid insecure loser you would have to be to openly carry a pistol to a childs soccer game.

13. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

why wouldn't i want to kill some trailer trash in front of his poorly-raised kid? :ugh2:

14. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

your post should have stopped right there :ugh2:

15. merlin

merlin OT Supporter

I couldnt resist, bro. :eek3:

I mean I feel angry that she was taken away, questioned, whatever, when she has a right to do what she did and I'd be pissed as hell if they did that to me - just saying I wouldnt do what she did in the first place is all.

16. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

It takes the average person about 1.5 seconds to travel 21 feet, and the average person about 1.5 seconds to draw. If someone 30 feet away from has expressed their desire to harm me it's no longer safe to attempt to deescalate the situation without bringing a gun into the mix. If you yell "STOP" while he's approaching you, you have several witness that will say he threatened you, you warned him, he approached anyway, and you shot until the threat was gone.

Chances of this happening to you? Slim to none. Should you be prepared? I would want to be. I probably wouldn't open carry at a kid's soccer game but I certainly would carry if I were legally allowed to do so.

17. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

so you're just trying to force your opinions and ideals onto everyone else? oh, ok.

18. deusexaethera

EXACTLY.

19. deusexaethera

Who's promoting it? I'm saying it's gonna happen, I'm not saying it's a good idea. And what the hell makes you think anyone, including you, would be safer with a gun going off in the bleachers?
    Because you're not as big of an asshole as you act like, but just in case you are, then you are the 200lb fire-breathing wife-beater that xpinchx concocted for his little scenario, so you are the one who would get shot, and I'm guessing you wouldn't want that.

20. deusexaethera

People should be forced to rationally consider the risks vs. the benefits of their decisions. The world would be a better place if they did. I will not apologize for that opinion.

If this soccer mom can do that, she will win the court case. If she can't she will be deservedly punished for being a fool.

21. merlin

merlin OT Supporter

Hell no - just stating my personal opinion on the matter, I know full well you guys disagree and I'm cool with that.

I love cars as well as guns, does that mean I have to say how awesome guys with big spinner chrome wheels on a Civic are? There is many aspects to owning a gun, I dont have to agree with all of them surely.

22. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i dont think very many people carry guns because they're "scared" :hsughno:

23. deusexaethera

I'm going to refer back to my previous point: what makes you think anyone, including you, is safer with bullets flying around? Once you escalate to using deadly force, there's no going back until you both run out of ammo or someone is bleeding on the ground.

And again, if you don't provoke an honest man he's not going to attack you in the first place. We're talking about parents at a soccer game, not jihadis. Don't get in the fight and you don't have to fight the fight.

24. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

ok lets see...

PA law says that open carry is legal with a permit. she had a permit. she wasn't breaking the law.

how big of a risk comes with not breaking the law? :hsughno:

25. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

go back to the computer subforum.