GUN Pistol Holster for Carbine Class

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Market Garden, Mar 6, 2009.

1. I'm registered for 3 carbine classes this summer. 2 of them have pistol components. There should also be vigorous activity and going prone/shooting on the ground in other positions. I'm going to use my G29 for these classes but I don't know what kind of holster to get. I have a IWB holster for CCW, but I'm guessing that wouldn't be a good choice for this kind of shooting. I also have an OWB Galco with a thumb break for the gun. What kind of holsters do people usually use in these situations? I don't want something where my gun is going to fall out as I run or drop to the ground.

2. sprite

sprite Active Member

I've seen pics of people running Carbine classes with an IWB :dunno:

What is your support gear for your carbine going to be? Chest rig or belt mount?

I'm looking for a carbine class to take this summer and I plan on just using my USPSA holster, which is a TKW. I'll probably tighten the retention screws a hair to be sure, but I've been on a dead sprint with the gun holstered in that before and never had any problem. That being said, I plan on running belt mounted AR mag pouches, or a mini-mav which sits high enough to not interfere with a belt holster.

If you're really worreid about retention and want a level III or something then I know the Safariland ALS series are pretty popular, especially the drop leg models if you're running a big chest rig or something.

3. Can you learn me on this a bit? I saw the Magpul videos with all the gear that some of the guys have. I don't want to show up looking like some operator though and have people laugh at me. What kind of stuff do people usually use, or is that Magpul video a pretty good indicator of what you commonly see?

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

A regular open top kydex holster such as bladetech would be fine. We run around with them all day, rolling around in the dirt, jumping off of crap, the gun stays in place. As long as you get something with a adjustable tension screw you'll be fine.

I like the DOH w/ the techlock attachment. Real easy to take the holster on and off without reconfigering the other crap on my belt.

5. They make one for the G29 also!

6. sprite

sprite Active Member

Check with the instructor and find out how many carbine mags you're expected to have on your person. If it is 101 type class then you'll usually only be expected to have 3, so one in the gun plus two for reloads which is manageable from a regular gun belt. More advanced classes usually require more "mags per rotation"... I think EAG wants 5 mags on your person when you come to the line. That more/less forces you to a chest rig or molle "war belt" setup. 4 AR mags plus pistol mags plus handgun plus dump pouch isn't going to work for long an 1.5" belt.

Both classes I've looked into so far I think I'd get by fine with a couple of belt pouches, then upgrading to a mini-mav or something later if I go on to more advanced training.

7. The first class is a 101 type class. The other 2 classes say "at least 3 magazines." I'd guess that means at least 4 to be safe. One of the classes is a general tactical carbine class, so I'm guessing something like the Magpul videos show. The other class is a CQB class that focuses on shooting inside 25 yards, low light, multiple targets, and moving targets.

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

The dual 30's in a mag yoke work well. Fast mag change and also works great as a mono pod. I have a blade tech AR mag pouch that I can keep an extra on the belt. No reason why you could not stick another double mag in that pouch too if your not going prone.

9. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

10. I emailed them asking what the recommended gear was. I like the Tactical Tailor modular assault vest.

11. And they're local. :)

12. johan

johan Active Member

I run two types of holsters for my P226, a Blackhawk for ipsc and a Safariland 6004.

Love the 6004, great retention, strong, rugged, opens cleanly. Useful if you're carrying a big pack (waist belt) or chest rig. I think the 6004 model has been retired in favor of new model numbers, but the idea is still the same. Try the 6070.

13. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i have the eagle m4 fb chest rig and have used it in a three gun match, i like it a lot. it carries 3 mags :dunno:

integrated combat equipment also makes one that carries 1 more mag (4 total)

both are less than $100 IIRC

14. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

If your IWB holds your pistol solid, then train with what you carry. FWIW, I wear VM2's for almost everything as do a large portion of our training staff.