GUN pistol grip stock for mossberg

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Valence, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

I have a maverick, and want to change the stock out to a synthetic stock with pistol grip. I've seen several that reduce recoil but affect the way you use the sights I.e. can't aim traditonally or it'll slap you in the face. I'm not so sure about this, these are user reviews I'm reading.

I'm considering the Knoxx SpecOps Adjustable stock with recoil reduction. Any opinions or similar (and cheaper) options?

[​IMG]

2. mtnbike4522

mtnbike4522 CelicaTech.com

unless your going to be shooting 3 1/2" loads all day i dont see why you would need any recoil suppression.

but that being said, i have a pistol grip on my 870 and love it for hunting

3. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I was one of the very first to get the knoxx stock. I saw at at the shot show many years back and was something like number 11 on the waiting list. When I got it I shot one match with it and returned it.

While it does compress when shooting even bird shot it does feel different and in not a good way. It seemed to lenghten the recoil impuse which to some people will make if feel lighter. I hated it as it took longer to recover from a shot and my shot to shot splits took more time. We had several people run 3 and 6 shot splits on the shot timer as fast as they could. Everyone was faster with a traditional strait stock.

If you want to manage recoil the first thing is to get a good butt pad such as a limbsaver. If you want to go all out then do some barrel work and have the forcing cone lenghtened and the chamber backbored. Really the number one thing is the recoil pad, they are not created equal.

The strait stock is going to be better for recoil than a pistol grip stock. The pistol grip stock is only good if you reload the shotgun with your weak hand. Lots of people like the pistol grip stock because it's tacticool but as far as shooting the strait stock is better for a strong hand reload, and recoil management. If you do a cooley twist or turn and burn reload the pistol grip hits your forearm.

4. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

by strong hand reload, you mean holding the shotgun with the strong hand and then loading the shells with the weakhand?

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

No strong hand reload means you hold the the shotgun with your support hand and then load with your shooting hand. There are several ways to reload the shotgun and if you intend to be any good you need to be comptent with most of them.

The very fastest but most difficult is the weak hand reload. This method is best with a pistol grip shotgun and a 4 round shell holder. You drop the stock under your shoulder while grabbing 4 shells off your belt with your support hand. With a 4 shell rack they come out into your hand 4 at a time. Then you work them into the feed port one at a time rolling the next shell into you finger tips. As you load the 4th shell you use you thumb to both insert and push the gun back up onto your shoulder.

Here is a short video of my buddy jack. He is one of the worlds best at finger loading a shotgun.

http://madtrigger.com/videos/jack%20reload/player_0.html

As you can imagine weak hand reloading takes lots of practice and it helps to have bigger hands.

I do what's called a cooly twist. I hold the shotgun my the fore end or pump and turn the shotgun into my body exposing the feed ramp. Then I grab 4 shells off my belt from a rack or pluck out individual shells out of a side saddle or fore arm holder. I like this method even though it's slower as it's less disaster prone. I drop less shells and it's hard to screw up a reload. As you can see a pistol grip would be in the way of a cooly twist reload.

[​IMG]

There is the turn and burn where you flip the shotgun upside down and hold it with your support hand. Better wear a left hand glove or your going to burn your hand.

Similar to the turn and burn you flip the shotgun upside down but hold the stock over your shoulder. This one is good if you need to reload in tight places like while going down a hallway or in a car.

6. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Does Knoxx or somebody then make an adjustable buttstock without pistol grip?

7. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Why do you want adjustable. Get one that fits and be done. Only point I see for an adjustable stock is if you have to wear body armor.

I like the factory stock with a limbsaver butt pad. A proper fitting stock will help reduce recoil also. You do not want a stock so short that your shooting hand is close to your nose where you can punch yourself with your first thumb knuckle.

8. JaimeZX

Yes, that's a fine point; but if my wife and I both are going to practice with the Mossy and she's a lot smaller than me, then I need an adjustable stock.

9. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

the recoil pad that came on my benelli sport II is the ill. comforttech i think they call it.

10. Milky

Milky I'm in your Millenium Falcon, rumbling your Wookie

Ouch, watching that video made my thumb hurt.

11. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

I see knoxx makes a comp stock in the traditional form, no pistol grip... I think I'll look into that.

12. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

If only you knew. You can tell the hardcore shotgun guys because they are missing a thumb nail on one hand. I went to open class to give mine a chance to grow back.

We do weld up the lifters to take out the indention aka the chinese finger trap. That does help a bunch

13. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

14. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Nope

Benelli m1 super 90 worked over by rob melhorn. The bolt has been lightened. Lifter has been welded up. Entire inside of the feed port has been hogged out and all edges rolled over. Pretty standard modification on a benelli shotgun for 3 gun tactical class. Gamer haters should note that the gun is still reliable, and fighting gun capable. It's just slicked up, and polished.

15. 993kgt

993kgt building an airplane whee

I'll sell you a spec ops stock for that mossberg, I hate mine

16. 993kgt

yes

17. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

who gives a shit what it looks like? are you happy with it is all that matters.

pistol grip on a mossberg is stupid, however. :o

18. JaimeZX

Is it the adjustable-length one like on the M4?

19. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

why?

20. 993kgt

it doesn't really do anything? i prefer the interia drive platforms

21. JaimeZX

?