GUN Pistol crew, school me on adjustable sights

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BLH, Aug 8, 2009.

1. BLH

BLH Member

Ok, what I'm looking for is a good set of adjustable sights that can be put on my CZ-97. I don't care if it takes machine work (got that covered) and would prefer them milled down into the slide some. I've never looked into adj. sights for a regular pistol before, only used competition pistol stuff and precision rifle sights. I have no clue whats out there or where to look for quality stuff.

So who makes good sights for a .45? A tritium dot on the front blade would be nice, on my match pistols I like the 4.0mm front blade if that helps out any. When shooting I've always liked the rear blade to have half the width of the front sight in light on each side (or thereabouts) when looking through the sights in position. (If THAT makes any sense)

I would like to get this pistol tuned up to engage any targets up to 50m accurately, have no clue what sights work best for something like that on this style of pistol.

Want to stay away from any optic/glass/dot setup, just want nice adj sights.

Thanks!

2. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Go check out www.czforumsite.info. Look at their 97B section. There is a guy named Schmeky who is installing a front bushing (a la 1911) into '97's to tighten up the barrel. He's been getting excellent results with it (he's a Bulleye shooter). If you are wanting a really accurate 97B, I'd do that and convert the gun to SAO with a good trigger.

As for sights, BoMar type adjustables are what most people use. There are several people making them, might try searching a brownells catalog and seeing whats available for how much. As for that the front sight, wat? 4mm wide would be enormous in a front sight. I like my fronts narrow, and I'm running 1.0mm FO fronts, with rear notches that are in the 1.4mm ish wide range. If you are milling the slide anyways, it would be no biggie for whoever is doing it to work over the sights as well.

3. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Your terminology is all wacky but I'll give it a shot.

First you do not want a tritium front. The tritium vial makes for a very wide front sight which is not ideal for a precision target sight which it sounds like you want. For precision target shooting you want all black sights.

For a CZ I would get the CZ all black front. You may need to trim the height and you will definately want to have the sight thinned to .090. I bought 2 front sights. The first I installed and trimmed with a file until I was happy with it then I took both of them to my smith and had him match the height and thin both of them to .090 in width.

For a rear sight I like the champion or the bomar. These are the rear sights everything else is compared to. Short story is they are the best. You'll be tempted to go with the LPA sights but don't, they are not as good. If you want a even wider rear notch you can open it up but with the thin front you probably wont need or want to. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4969/Product/1911_AUTO_ADJUSTABLE_SIGHTS

Of course you'll have to mill your slide. You have to cut the dove tail to the proper size, then make a relief cut for the rear end of the sight. You will break into the firing pin block hole but it's not a big deal. You can't see it when the sight is on. You'll want to ditch the firing pin block anyway.

With a low mounted/melted rear your going to have to run a taller front sight to compensate. It looks funny but really this is the hot set up. With such a tall front sight it is really easy to find when you index the pistol, and real easy to track in recoil which is the whole key to calling shots.

My CZ75sa
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

5. BLH

BLH Member

Thanks for the info guys! Yes, phrozen on my international style pistols I have a 4.0mm on one and I forget what the other is, probably a 3.0. I've looked at Schmecky, and I'm going to have to try my hand at making my own bushing and see how that goes before I pay money for one...

Phrozen, where is a good place to look to get trigger work done?

Thanks!

6. BLH

BLH Member

Oh and thanks for the photos Yar, definitely going to take them to my machinest to show how its done on a 75.

7. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

when your stripping down the slide for the machinest just becareful of the pin. It is in there tight like a son of a bitch. You can see where my slide got boogered trying to drift it out.

Take you time and use a real good short punch to get it started. Then use a longer punch to finish the job. Might as well get that competition hammer and other parts since you got the thing apart. The firing pin stop gets pulled out and thrown in the trash.

8. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Lots of people working on CZ's at the moment. Most common answer would be either Matt Mink or Angus. They are the factory sponsored guys, and Angus runs the factory custom shop. Personally..... if I didn't do them myself, I'd send them to Stuart Wong (Eerw, on several 'boards) as his are some of the best that I've felt. I have a huge cztriggerjob.txt that I've sent out to several people, I'll see if I can find it.

I've also got a bunch of other pics of CZ's with adjustables if you need them.

9. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

Yar... are you aware of any for a Walther p99? im looking at the champion sights and i dont see any that specify for Walther, just glock and 1911 models and a few others.

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Nope, should of bought a 1911 or glock. Now you'll have to mill the slide like you do when you got a CZ or other platform people don't make aftermarket shit for.

11. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

but the Walther was nice because im a lefty :o