Piracy-your thoughts

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Robb, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Robb

Robb Guest

Im just wondering how everyone feels about piracy, It seems as most of OT engages in it as there are posts all the time about dl'ing music games tv shows movies, etc.. Do you feel like ur taking money from the people who created this entertainment for you? I personally, do pirate most software, movies, etc. and I feel as if it I wouldntve bought anyways so i dl it and they arent missing out on my purchase, thats how i justify it. How about everyone else?

2. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

I used to be like that, but I mean if I'm downloading it I obviously want it.

Bottom line is that stealing, is stealing.

As far as software goes, I haven't been able to find any software (other then XP) that I can't find a equal or better free option to use. I suppose that excludes games. Its more the Office and Trillian and Photoshop and some of the other day to day stuff that I used to Pirate. I mean OOo.org and Gaim and Gimp all do those decent enough for what I need them too, and they are free.

3. Robb

Robb Guest

yes, i also try to find free alternatives

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

that excuse is a horseshit rationalization for a crime. If you won't pay for it, you don't need it. I can't think of a single piece of software that you NEED that isn't free. Games are the only thing that free-alternatives are not available, and you don't NEED those.

I fucking hate people that steal shit like windows and say they don't support MS and that they pirate because they NEED it. Bullshit. Pay for the fucking OS if you use it.

5. Robb

Robb Guest

ya, i still feel kinda bad about my copy of windows xp pro corp.

6. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

as i see it, if the person wasnt going to buy it in the 1st place, no loss money. But i do believe piracy does cost the industry lost, but not the billions the BSA likes to propagate.

There are many free alternatives out there for almost all software.

7. keleko

keleko yes, he is

where games are concerned, or apps that require a key:

the DATA is free, but the KEY to use it isn't

download w/e you want, but BUY a key (if that means go retail and get a copy, so be it)

movies that haven't been in a theater in 2 years and aren't on dvd yet = teh freebie
    otherwise go to bollocksbuster, rent it and rip it

i won't go into mp3s...

8. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I used to copy everything as a student but when I started to make money, I stopped. Did I know it was wrong? Yes. Did I justify it? No.

9. CyberBullets

but in uni they give you all the software you want, and them some!

10. 5Gen_Prelude

Not back then ;)

11. CyberBullets

ahhh.

12. CyberBullets

Yeah a GOOD game is worth investing the 69.99 for.

13. 5Gen_Prelude

I'm not sure if I agree with the word investing, but yeah :rofl: :rofl:

14. CyberBullets

well giving my money to a worthwhile company :p

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Man, that's a fucked-up avatar, CyberBullets.

I don't like piracy because I do believe that good things are worth paying for, but I do have a problem with companies that overcharge for their merchandise. That's what anti-monopoly laws are supposed to be for.

I think that any company that provides a product or service which most people use on a regular basis, and doesn't have any meaningful competition to keep them honest, should be owned by the government. That's how the US Postal Service works, it's a government-owned corporation, and its product quality improved dramatically and the prices still seem reasonable.

16. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

That is a very bad example. The US Postal does have competition. The Internet. There is a less of a need to write checks, send bills, send packages through USPS. Everything can be done electronically and there are many other couriers.

Ever since the beginning of this century and after the anthrax epidemics, business or activity of the USPS has been slowly depleting. Ever notice all these USPS commercials now? They need business.

17. TheRider

TheRider Geeky OT Supporter

That's a pretty poor level of reasoning here. Who determines what is too much, we have a free market economy basically meaning the seller determines the price based upon what the market will bear. Do you need to spend a few hundred dollars on Windows? Nope, you can use Mac OS, or any one of many free or near free linux/unix/bsd operating system. Don't like paying a few hundred dollars for office? Use Wordperfect Office, or Openoffice/Staroffice or find another free or near free alternative.

You can work without using ANY software that costs money if you so choose, however it won't work as well as software that costs more money in general. Duh, go figure. :)

What's most interesting to me is how many people that complain about the cost of software have 100+ cable/broadband bills per month, which is $1200 per year spent on non tangible, and yet bitch about having to spend a few hundred dollars for an OS or Office Application.

What's your internet connection deusexaethera?

BTW anti-monopoly laws are not for people charging to much, it's for companies that prevent competition from entering the market, and there is plenty of competition these days.

18. Monstrddg

Monstrddg New Member

I download everything, I havnt paid for software or music in years

19. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

And you say that like your proud of it. I have pirated a few things I won't lie, but I do try and buy as much as I possibly can. Artists and programmers deserve the money for their hard work, and people who rip them off just plain don't understand. For some reason I find that people think stealing data is allright because it is intangible, but few people realize the hard work that is put into it.

20. deusexaethera

The example may seem bad now, but ten years ago it was valid, and the USPS has been a corporation for longer than that.

21. deusexaethera

A different way to say what you just said is: the buyer determines the price based upon how much they're willing to pay. That is, I am not willing to pay $300 for Windows XP Pro, and since I cannot haggle on the price, I am instead depriving them of my business entirely in an attempt to persuade them to lower their price to something I consider more reasonable. If they do, I will buy it.

Of course I don't have to use expensive software when there are free alternatives which provide comparable functionality. The fact that I do is purely a matter of personal preference. Once again, by using volume-license copies of the software, I am sending the company the message that I like their software but I am displeased with their asking price. By using the software against their will, I am putting them in a position in which it is their best interest to meet my demand of a lower price so that they can make some money off me instead of none.

I have "basic" cable internet on a wireless router which I share with the townhouses on each side of me. As such, I pay less than the cost of dial-up for my 1/6th-of-a-broadband connection.

It is true that anti-monopoly laws are to prevent companies with large market shares from forcing smaller companies out of the market. Have you thought further to what the consequences of a no-competition market is? The primary result for the consumer is that the monopolistic company will charge as much as they possibly can for their products, since there is no reasonable alternative available for ANY price. Sorry I skipped a step in the train of thought the first time I made this point.

22. TheRider

TheRider Geeky OT Supporter

How about another way to say this is; it is illegal and immoral to STEAL, if you don't want to pay for a BMW you can't walk into the dealership and STEAL the car. Though certainly it would send the message that you want to drive one you just don't want to pay what they are asking for it. It's the same thing, so instead you drive a civic perhaps because you can afford that, or walk if you don't want to pay at all. Software is property, you don't have the right to STEAL what you don't want to pay for.

You can make a statement that you would use their software if it were cheaper and then use free software, but then stealing their product totally undermines your argument, it says you are a thief, and hence a liar, why should they lower your price when you would just steal it anyways.

Just because you want to pay less for something doesn't mean you can steal it, even if you really want it. Pay the price for the product or don't use it.

If you don't like the BMW example, how about a magazine in a newstand, maybe it's not worth $4.95 to you, that doesn't mean you just take it and state if he wants to come down in price you will consider paying him. Same goes for a candy bar, or if you prefer an intangible a contract that a lawyer drew up, or accounting services. A real estate agent sells your house for you, you don't then not pay him because you feel he is overcharging you. Why are these any different?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2005
  23. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Why would I pirate software when free/opensource software does everything better than commercial software does? I don't have any commercial software on this machine, and very little non-free software and there's nothing I'm missing at all.

24. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

I download things to try them before I buy. If it's a movie I didn't see in the theater but thought looked good - I'll download it and, if I enjoy it, buy the DVD. I've got a kickass home theater system that will make them much more enjoyable to watch than the DIVX copy I downloaded. Pieces of software I've downloaded and later bought licenses for include my software firewall, antivirus, Trillian, and Nero. I use Thunderbird as an email client and don't have a copy of Office. I downloaded Doom3, played a few levels, and was sure as shit glad I didn't pay 60 bucks for it. On the other hand, I was more than happy to pay for HL2.

With iTunes 30-second preview, I've no need to apply this practice to music. I've bought and paid for as much music over iTunes as I picked up over Napster back in the day.

Sure it's still illegal. I'm not arguing that it's not. I just find it absurd that I should spend 20, 50, 200 dollars on a piece of media with no more information on it than what I read on the back of the packaging or Bob's review site. I'm out of school now and have plenty of disposable income to throw at things I find enjoyable. Since every big box store I've gone to lately forbids returns of opened media products, I'm not going to pay for the stuff unless I know I want it.

25. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

If I were in charge, I'd take some of the resources going towards Iraq and Africa and put them into finding asshats like you, and prosecuting them. You are among the must disgusting vile on the planet.

Since when did it become "cool" to blatantly rip people off -- then flaunt it?