Pioneer DEH-P3700MP deck.... opinions?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Wolf, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

[​IMG]
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ECdK57RbQoo/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=177050&I=130DEHP370

Looking to replace the Sony Xplode POS that came in my Cherokee. Also want to get Sirius satellite. This deck looks pretty decent, it says it's Sirius radio ready... does that mean that with this deck, the Pioneer/Sirius tuner box, and an antenna, I'm set? Will I be able to control both the regular radio and the Sirius with this deck? (without one of those little grey add-on screen things mounted on my dash?)

Just going to be running four 5.25" speakers, no amp.

Also: could I get some recommendations for some good 5.25" speakers to replace the stock ones? Two in the front doors, and two in an overhead bar in the rear cargo area. Mostly listen to hard rock/metal, and I've blown almost every speaker I've had. :hs: What's something that's not too expensive ($80ish/pair max) that I can blast loud, will sound good, and that won't blow out?
    I had a set of Infinity Reference 5.25s in my last Jeep, and they sounded pretty good. But Crutchfield says they won't fit the newer cherokee. I'd have to use like a 4.25" or something janky like that for the front doors.

It's a 2000 Cherokee. Don't think it has the factory Infinity system (or the previous owner wouldn't have replaced the stereo).

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  2. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

yup, to get Sirius, all you need is the tuner & antenna. The new pioneers (3700 and up) are "SAT ready" meaning you can get an XM or Sirius tuner/antenna package and it'll work either way.

You don't need an external controller/display screen, everything works through the Pioneer headunit.

3. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

I got the deh-p3600...I love it

was quite an upgrade from what I ran before (pos kenwood), I ONLY wish it had good sub controls, but for what I paid I can't complain

4. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

they look, and feel much better in person. it's a great value deck(of course a lot of brands have better value decks coming this model year, than the year before.), we got the new pioneer's in the shop last week. it looks, and feels like a higher quality product this year. there's no way to grow headunits anymore, they can only drop in price... until it all becomes dvd based.

5. C-Lord

C-Lord New Member

well i had a pioneer which i thought was good until it stopped ejecting cds then i got an alpine radio which i think sounds 10x better

6. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-XWI6sZzoKvw/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=177050&I=130DEHP470
    They didn't have a 3700, so I got a 4700MP instead. The guy installed the antenna kinda janky though. He put it right above the windshield, and routed the wire under the windshield weatherstrip. I thought they were supposed to be mounted at the rear of the roof and the wire routed around the hatchback weatherstripping (Jeep Cherokee). Also, the antenna is only mounted with a magnet. Is this going to slide around and scratch my paint? :ugh: I thought the antenna was permanently attached with an epoxy.

I bought the stuff and had gotten free install at Circuit City. Is the windshield mounting normal? Should I go back and ask them to remount the antenna in the rear? I'm sure the guy put it there so he wouldn't have to run the wire under all the interior panels. :squint:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  7. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

the only time i've ever seen an antenna mounted at the front was on a softtop wrangler, so it was put on the hood near one of the vents. I suppose it doesn't matter if its on the top near the front or rear, but visually speaking i bet it looks just plain retarded.

as far as the magnet goes, it should be enough to hold, assuming the routing of the wiring was done properly (which it sounds like it wasn't)

8. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

I'd get an Alpine but it's your decision. Also, you are probably blowing your speakers not because you have had crappy or weak speakers but because you are trying to power them off the head unit. If you play your music very loud off any head unit you will get clipping which damages the speaker. Most speakers can handle a lot more power than you would think if the amp can supply it well. In fact, I know that a guy won a SQ competition by simply installing a very nice amplifier to power his STOCK VW Monsoon speakers in his Golf. Now that is saying something.

Moral to the story, if you liked the sound of the Infinitys, I would buy them again and not play them loud until you can afford to buy a decent amplifier.

9. 04

04 Guest

That is incorrect. If you are blowing your speakers with the headunit power, upgrading to a larger amplifier will blow them faster.

Power content and duty cycle destroy speakers, not clipping.