MIL Pinpoints?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Burrito10, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

So I've been in contact with the recruiter and reserved a spot for 13F. Now when I went in back in August to talk with them, I asked if it was possible to get pinpoints to Ft. Campbell and they said, "well they do that at MEPS". Now they told me, "Dude, we aren't going to lie to you.. They/we can't do that."

The whole reason I asked is because my brother said it was possible and that he knew a bunch of dudes in basic who had pinpoints to Ft. Campbell back in 2000. Now he wants me to go back in and call the guy out on what he said in August and say if I don't get it then I'll go to another recruiter etc. I dont really want to barge in there like a dick head and call him out on something that isn't possible.

Bro is calling MEPS today at some time to ask them, but I wanted to ask you guys, also. :)

2. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

MEPS can't pinpoint assignments...they only slot you for Basic/MOS training. Once you're at MOS training, their staff will work out the assignments.

3. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

My bro just called a different recruiter and asked, and they said they could.... WTF. I dont think they would jive him either because he is prior enlisted and its not like he's trying to get in himself..

4. Blackfox

Blackfox Active Member

what is pinpoint? Are you talking about choice of duty station?? If so the only way that is possible is if you get a duty station in your contract. Otherwise you will be put in the needs of the Army and your choices will be "considered".

5. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

They asked the guidance couselor at MEPS if it was possible and they said no. But I am still skeptical. Do you know how to go about doing that? Cause I want to go to Jump School, but I know that if I do, I will more than likely NOT get sent to Campbell but more than likely the 82nd.

If I had to choose either jump school or 101st, I'd choose 101st. But I want both :bigthumb:

6. Blackfox

Blackfox Active Member

dude if it's in your contract you can go to airborne school and then go to friggin fort sill if you wanted. It's just gotta be in that contract otherwise it will be needs of the Army and you'll go to some place shitty, like Korea....

7. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

Yeah, I know that. But they're jiving me, telling me they "can't do that".

8. Blackfox

Blackfox Active Member

then just tell them you'll go to another station, or say you called another station and they said they could do that because they are bullshitting you big time.

9. ggr12

ggr12 . OT Supporter

go to MEPS, if they wont put it in the contract leave without signing. simple as that. if they really want to keep you then theyll find a way to get you a follow on from AIT in your contract.

10. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

11. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

Sounds like a plan. How fucking hard is it for recruiters to just tell me this? If they really wanted me in quicker, they'd tell me this shit. Thanks guys :bowdown: Ft. Campbell or bust :bigthumb:

12. Blackfox

Blackfox Active Member

good choice on forward observer by the way!

13. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

:bigthumb: How is Ft. Sill and OSUT?

14. Blackfox

Blackfox Active Member

Ft. Sill is not too bad. Well for basic it sucked but that was almost 7 years ago when I went. But I went back there earlier this year for JFO and it was a pretty good time. Lawton is just really scummy though.

15. burton564

burton564 New Member

101st makes me vomit in my mouth a little

16. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

:naughty:

17. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

If they tell me they can't and I tell them I wont sign unless I get it in my contract, and they tell me, "Okay, we'll see you when you pull your head out of your ass."

Then what do I do? :eek4:

Hey blackfox, how is AIT? Pretty sweet?

18. Blackfox

Blackfox Active Member

AIT is ok... But they don't teach you alot of what you are really going to be doing in the Army. But when you get to your unit you'll get squared away. Just pay attention and study.

19. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

You won't win this unless you are willing to wait it out. Put everything you have into getting the respect of your recruiter, doing well on the ASVAB, and NOT fucking up with drugs/cops/traffic tickets, etc. Then when you get to the point in MEPS where you sit down with a counselor and pick your job, make it very clear that you will not be signing ANYTHING unless you can get the base assignment you want. If/when they say they can't do that, tell them thanks for their time and give your recruiter a call to let him know you did your part. Tell him to let you know when the option you want becomes available again, and that you'll be going home now.

20. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

going on Monday. Thanks guys. :bowdown:

21. SSG Schwartz

SSG Schwartz New Member

I guess I am too late to help here, but you can get pinpoint orders from the MEPS, and only from the MEPS. I did, I had my choice between Ft Bragg and Ft Benning. I actually knew what company I was being assigned to when I left the MEPS. I didn't ask for it, the Guidance Counselor offered it. The thing was, I had a college degree and the GC was basically trying to get me all he could to make sure I signed. (I think my Recruiter worked for him at some point in the past.) If you are going in as an E-1 with no special skills, the GC's aren't willing to spend a whole lot of time with you. You can ask if they can pull up want stations are available and possibly get to choose, but you will have to score better than a 50 on your ASVAB and be a high school grad, otherwise, it will have to be needs of the Army. Never hurts to ask, however.

FWIW, I went to Korea and had a blast there.

Good luck, Burrito10, and thank you for your decision to serve your country.

SSG Schwartz

22. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

So how did it go with MEPs?

23. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

I said something to him about pinpoints, he laughed, and I basically took it as yeah right dude. So I went ahead and did a 2x4 MSO contract for 20,000 bonus. No Airborne because if I did I would have to choose from the 20k and 10k with 3 years.

I ship on my birthday, February 11th to Ft. Sill. :bowdown:

24. jimmybuffett

jimmybuffett New Member

I just spoke with my recruiter and he said I can't go in with a contract for Airborne, it's something earned. Is this shit? I've always been under the impression you could get it in your contract prior to going.

And why is 101st shitty as opposed to 82nd?

25. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

101st isnt shitty compared to 82nd. Yes, Airborne IS something that can go into your contract. Its called option 4 and if your recruiter is showing you jobs on the REQUEST system, then you can see all the options AVAILABLE to you. Some MOS's dont have an airborne option, but most do. I would say go to a diff. recruiter, man. If he's telling you this shit, then he's lying about other shit for sure. I didnt pick Airborne because if I did, I would more than likely go to the 82nd instead of what I want, the 101st. I got more money with the 2x4 contract anyway, and I couldnt add Airborne to it anyway.