Pinhole in DVD foil. Ideas and questions...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IdahoSHO, Dec 17, 2006.

1. IdahoSHO

IdahoSHO New Member

Im in the process of duplicating a bunch of my DVDs to ensure the originals stay clean and undamaged. I have quite the collection (300+ movies, and a dozen or so complete TV series' on DVD). Quite a lot of money tied up in it.... somewhat of a mission of ours. My wife and I are series movie and tv buffs. Only we dont pay for cable :eek3:

Anywho... somehow, I have gotten into the habit of loaning them to a few select friends from time to time. So Ive already got some damaged ones. Ones that are part of 8 or 10 disc sets. So it isnt really all that simple to just buy them again. :sadwavey:

Ive got a few with tiny pinholes in the foil. They skip a little bit when playing. I dont mind that. But they are imposible to burn with the software Im using. The software sees the skip as a file error during reading, and fails the entire disc. It never even gets to the burning stage.

Im using software by SlySoft. A pair of programs, AnyDVD and CloneDVD.

Now, knowing how a laser reads information off of the foil face of a disc, I realize what is happening. And I have this idea that would "fix" such a pinhole, even if it does not restore the lost info. But all of my failed google searching has led me to beleive that such a fix wouldnt work.

or would it?

What do you think about a metalic ink, or paint to fill such a pinhole?

2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Probably would not work since metallic ink is probably not reflective enough or consistent enough. It's also likely that the data is also damanged. I don't recall if CloneDVD will do this, but I know some DVD software will allow you to set it to ignore read errors. Another option would be to rent the damaged DVD. You can usually rent multi-disc sets by the DVD.

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

you can't do anything to fix it if the damage is on the label side

in the past, i attempted to fix a dvd with the stuff that you patch rear windshield defroster lines, it's like a metallic liquid - it didn't help

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

DVD Decrypter can ignore errors.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If you have holes in the foil, there's no saving it. Get a raw-mode copier and copy the data onto another disc before it becomes useless.