Ping problems while gaming with wireless

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fanatic, Jun 8, 2006.

1. fanatic

fanatic BC2 needs more barrell roll

First off, I realize wireless isn't the first choice for gaming, but running a long ethernet cable isn't ideal since I'm only home for the summer and then I'm back up to school.

Basically I have a linksys WRT54G version 5 router and a WMP54G PCI card as my hardware. The router is maybe 20-30 feet away from my computer going through 2 walls. My link quality and signal strength rarely drop much below 70%, so I'm getting a pretty good connection to the router. but when it comes to gaming (mostly battlefield 2), I consistently spike into the hundreds (on multiple servers).

I can ping my most frequented gaming server from the command prompt when at desktop and receive nice low pings all day long without packet loss, but that all seems to go away when I start playing. The router is protected with a 16 character WPA key, so I doubt others are logging on. I can download at 600kb/s (my max) all day long without disconnects.

I'm just looking for some advice that might help out my situation. I have the router sitting at the higest point in the room it's in, there are a couple 2.4ghz phones around, but they've never seemed to affect anything when ringing. I've changed the router's channels a few times to find no remedy, and all firmware and drivers are updated to the newest available.

2. j_nx

j_nx master of the universe!

spi enabled?

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It sounds like you're just suffering from generic WiFi pwnage. There really isn't anything you can do about the inherent limitations of the standard.

4. fanatic

fanatic BC2 needs more barrell roll

I don't know what that is. :sad2: