MIL Pilots, let's see a show of hands

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AustinL911, May 18, 2006.

1. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

I'd search, but I'm not on this site enough to justify a sub.

I'm basically just curious how many pilots, both military and general, we have in here?

And what do you fly?

I don't have a pilots license yet, but I'm making it my goal this summer to ateast get my basic certificate.

2. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

I fly fighter jets. Its pretty fun.

3. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

perpetual student pilot, signing in. :o

4. Accord

Accord New Member

burton fly's helicopters, can't remember what kind though, Chinook's I think?

5. C5Load

C5Load OT Resident UCLA fanatic

i've flown the c-5 for an hour, at cruise.

not to mention a few takeoffs in the simulators... none of which were successful.

6. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

i fly B-1Bs but alas, i am not a pilot

i'm a navigator, the position on the jet is called weapons systems officer

7. KilgoreTrout19D

KilgoreTrout19D New Member

Are those B-1Bs all they are cracked up to be? I've loved that jet my whole life.

8. burton564

burton564 New Member

yeah it happens to be a chinook, but a real fucking ugly one.

9. SweetDaddyO

i love it so far, but i'm new to the plane

as far as the value to the air force, they're finally proving their worth. in the next 5 years expect the B-1B to be the PRIMARY close air support platform in the air force. we can already carry a wider variety and heavier load of ordinance than any other bomber, and in the next few years our weapons and systems upgrades will allow us to do just about any type of CAS outside of strafing a target. we can also carry a rediculous amount of fuel, so our loiter time is much longer than anyone else.

the B-1 shouldered the load in Kosovo, Afghanistan, and Iraq as far as tonnage and % of weapons dropped (when compared to # of sorties and aircraft). i'd expect that trend to continue if we ever get involved with iran or north korea.

10. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

Hearing the B-1B take off with all 4 turbines at full afterburner is fucking unreal.

Pure sex!

[​IMG]

11. Ranger-AO

I am not in the AF any more, and I am nowhere near as close to this subject as you are, but I can't imagine the B1 Bomber as the primary Close Air Support platform. :ugh2: I'm even having a hard time imagining it in a CAS role at all. :coolugh:

I know it can drop a shitload of munition. I know it can go pretty damn fast. I know it has fuel capacity for some pretty long flights. I know it's dead sexy. But I just don't see it living up to the close part of CAS. Not like the F16 or my personal favorite, the A10. And the COST per target... :noes:

12. JL

JL Wander-er OT Supporter

Same here.... but i've got 1.3 hours in the back seat of an Eagle also :coolugh:

13. Ranger-AO

I had the bad luck to always have the hots for a jet with only one seat. :wtc:

14. Ranger-AO

bring your love to the A10. :wavey:

15. SweetDaddyO

i can understand EXACTLY where you're coming from. the B-1 was never built to perform CAS, but now commanders are finding that it can perform that role very, very well.

think of it this way. you're a JTAC on the ground, watching some talibanians, and you find yourself in a firefight. you need air support, so you call for help. there's a B-1 on station, with 10 CBU-103 cluster bombs (smart cluster bombs that use an inertial navigation system to steer to a set of coordinates before bursting), 8 GBU-31s (2000 lb GPS-guided munitions), and 5 GBU-38s (500-lb GPS guided munitions. should be plenty of firepower to deal with your threat.

now, you have several options of talking that B-1 onto your position. got a laser range finder? great, use that and give the B-1 the GPS location of the baddies, problem solved. don't have one? well, go ahead and give the B-1 the MGRS coordinates of the bad guys. the WSO can then use his software to convert those coordinates to GPS lat-long, and voila, warheads appear on foreheads.

still no joy? maybe it's a really bad day, and all you know is that across the river, there's some small arms fire and the occasional mortor dropping near your position. no problem. tell the B-1 what your surroundings look like and the WSO can use his radar, with the abilitiy to take a .6 square mile high-resolution picture of the area, and you can talk him onto the target (e.g. hostiles are west of the river, between the ridge and the forrested area) he can then use his radar to derive the coordinates and drop a GPS guided weapon, or if he's unable to do that, he can simply target that area, and use his system to drop dumb bombs where his crosshairs fall.

targets on the move? no problem. the B-1 has a ground moving target indicator/tracker (GMTI/T) feature that lets us track and target moving vehicles.

and think that this whole time, there are four crewmembers, instead of one, copying down the 9-line report and verifying that information before dropping weapons near you and your team. four people to make sure the information is right and the targeting solution is solid.

add in above Mach 1 capability and hours and hours of loiter time, and you have yourself a helluva CAS asset. in the next few years, the SINPER targeting pod will give us yet another targeting option, this time with real-time video (IR/UV/TV) that will let us positively identify our own targets.

i know it's hard getting people to understand how a huge-ass nuclear bomber like the B-1 can provide CAS, but it turns out it can do it damned well.

real world example ...

http://aimpoints.hq.af.mil/display.cfm?id=11404

16. Ranger-AO

:eek3:

That got me so motherfucking hard I'm going to have a hard time walking to the company bathroom to :wackit:

17. Ranger-AO

My best friend was a jet engine mechanic. I used to go over to their shop a lot an I was always amazed at how spotless everything was. Not a drop of oil or anything anywhere.

The A10 was a dream to work on, no matter what your job was. :love:

18. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

once i finish ots ill be learning to fly, so i guess its on my list of things to do per say.