Pill Question- for the women

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Cerridwen, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

So this is my first month on the pill, and I'm quite new to hormonal BC in general (only my second month on any type of hormonal BC).
    The first month I was on the Nuva Ring and I hated it so I switched to Ortho Tri-Cyclen. I've been bleeding the entire month (spotting) and it's really pissing me off. My doctor is assuring me it is normal since I'm relatively new to hormonal BC but she's kinda flighty too :o
    I was just hoping for some other women's experiences with finding the 'right' pill for them and if they've experienced this also? Will this go away next month? I can't stand this constant period feeling (I'm in day 18 and it's pretty much like I'm PMSing now with heavier bleeding).
    Thanks.

2. RockChick

RockChick New Member

hmmmm, never had anything like that.

i'm on the pill for almost a year now. my pill is called 'monostep' but i dont know if you can get it in america.
    i start with it on mondays, take 21 pills and then have 7 pill free days and usually on thursday i get the period. never had any problems.

cant believe that this is supposed to be normal to be honest.
    what did you use before?

3. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

IUD for 6 years (I was on the pill before that, but it's been so long I don't remember it) nothing for 2 months, the Nuva Ring for 1 month and now the Ortho Tri Cyclen.
    I just can't see how this can be normal either (and yes I will be asking my doctor about it AGAIN!)

4. The Secretary

The Secretary My domestic skills will rock your socks off!

i spotted alot my first month with i first started bc, i cant remember what kind it was it was a generic for something else. i think it still had alot less hormones that the seasonale pill im on now. Your body is trying to adjust to hormone that your taking, your doctor is right when he/she said it was normal. When i switched to seasonale i still had a period the first month spotted for two months while my body got adjusted. But after that everything evened out and i spot on occasion usually during high stress level days weeks or months mostly. I still pms when its supposed to be week of my pd and im still on the hormone pills there is just enough hormone there i guess to not trigger the period. I dont get sick near as often becuase my immune system doesnt go low during that time of the month either, but again it took almost 2-3 months for it to get in the flow of things (no pun). Other than being being a bit more moody and putting on a couple of extra pounds I love seasonale. If taken correctly its a wonderful pill, but i have messed it up a couple of times and it takes awhile for my body to get readjusted back to it. It really just depends on how your body decides to react to the pill. If the bleeding gets heavier and doesnt go away within a couple of weeks back to your doctor preferably your gyno (some people use primary care) and discuss it with them.

I had alot of reservations about switching to seasonale becuase of the whole not having a period but every 13 weeks, and messing with my bodies natural cycle but i was talking with my doctor about it he said that all trials gave a green light to it.

5. RockChick

RockChick New Member

when did you start taking the pill?
    after your last period or just some time in between?

6. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

After my last period.

7. The Secretary

i started about 8 months ago (i cant belive its been that long), i was discussing it right about the time my old bc would need to be renewed so i just started right after my period on my old pills. They say on the directions with mine to start after the last day of your period.

8. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I am going to see how my periods are on this pill, but I'd really like to switch to Seasonale also. I have such heavy periods (then again I don't know if they were caused by my IUD, or just my body adjusting to attempting to find the right birth control) lately (like within the past 6-8 months) that I'd love to get rid of them.
    Thanks. I'm glad to hear from someone else who's actually experienced it that this could just be a normal thing. :)

9. RockChick

RockChick New Member

*scratches head*

weird... you should have a normal period (about 4/5 days) imo... i have no clue. sorry

10. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

My doctor told me to start taking it the Sunday after my last period ended. There were two different types of startups according to the pill packet, but it was too late to start the first day of my period as the other choice was.

11. The Secretary

"I have such heavy periods" this is the reason why i started bc in the first place and for the bf just in case if we wanted to have sex. With the bc's that i have done it really made my flow a whole lot lighter and more manageable. Mine was like turning on a faucet full blast for 7 days or at least my body felt that way so absolutely drained, i still have a 7 day period but flow is so much less and again more manageable.

You said you tried nuva ring, there ads a everywhere on tv why didnt you like it?

12. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

It was very irritating (literaly) while inside me. It almost made me feel like I had a constant yeast infection (when I didn't have one).

13. The Secretary

oh wow, i thought about that when i would see the ads. Logistically speaking i really dont see how it would work. It does seems like it would be very irritating and wouldnt be able to stay in place, just because of normal body movement it would get sideways or something and fall out.

14. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Staying in place really wasn't much of a problem at all, and I was hoping that it would work out better than it did (I really don't like having to think about BC, hence the IUD for so long :o).

15. The Secretary

i only seen a pic of one of those in sex ed class back in like the 7th grade im a junior in college now. How do those work exactly i dont remember?

16. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

The IUD?
    It is implanted into your uterous. There is a hormone based IUD that lasts for up to 5 years, and a copper IUD (what I had) that is not hormone based that lasts for up to 10 years.
    They do come with some risk (of PID) and if you've never had a child you might find it hard to find a doctor to insert one.
    I miss mine.

17. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

it's normal to spot through the first 3 months... i'm on ortho low, and i also spotted for ~3 months. anything longer than 3, you need to talk to your gyno

18. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Ugh. 3 months?
    With ANY pill or this one specificaly?

19. chica&buddies

are you on ortho tricyclen low?

20. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Ortho Tricyclen Lo (no w?)

I had to recheck the pack, sorry.

21. chica&buddies

:rofl: yea... that's exactly what i'm on... my friend just switched to it, too... and she's been spotting as well. :dunno: i'm not gonna put money on it, but it'll pry happen for a couple months :(