Piers Anthony?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Mr 20Valve, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

Anyone read anything by him?

There was a kid at school who used to read all his books (this was 5th grade mind you :hsugh: ) & said they were great but that i wouldn't understand them... :ugh: (he was probably right, i had better things to do in 5th grade than read sci-fi novels) - so i never bothered looking at them, but just came across a shitload of his books for cheap at the local 2nd-hand bookshop.

Has anyone read any of his books (he's written a few series of novels AFAIK) good? bad? :x:

2. pixie

pixie on one wild ride :naughty:

I used to read the Xanth series-I would buy them the second they got to the store. Then either his style changed too much for me, or I grew too much or something. :dunno: The puns that were cute before took the series over, & was way to much pun-ishment for me (ugh, I know). I'd read the first 6 or 7 again anytime, the rest? Maybe if they were loaners or something.

The Incarnations of Immortality I still read on occasion (I should go look for those again). They were very enjoyable, & managed to merge sci-fi & magic well.

The Blue adapt series was also fun (though the first trilogy I like more than the second). It also had elements of both sci-fi & magic, though not merged (if you read them you'll see what I mean). I enjoy these books again as well.

There were stand alone books & another series that was straight sci-fi that I remember as well. All okay, but not my favorites.

3. danromboj

danromboj New Member

Pixie is way on target with her(?) review. The Sci-fi series "Bio of a Space Tyrant"? is good. IMO most of his more recent works appear to be written for the paycheck rather than for the story itself. Isle of Man was very good, and he had another stand alone, I think it was Firefly, but that one is for mature readers only.

4. Acesn8s

Acesn8s The Deadman's Hand

I agree with Pixie and danromboj. My favorite of his stuff is the first 3 in the Blue Adept series and the first couple in the Incarnations of Immortality. The first couple Xanith novels are good but I wouldn't suggest anything after the 4 or 5th book.

I, like Pixie, also read his stuff in Jr. High and High school. Now that I'm 32 I'm looking for more substance than Peirs offers.

Oh, and Firefly was more like erotica than SciFi/Fantasy. I think he was trying to follow in Anne Rice's footsteps. I had completely forgotten about that book until you brought it up danromboj.

:)

5. danromboj

danromboj New Member

Discworld by Terry Pratchett, has replaced Xanth in the humorous series role for Me.

6. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

Yeah, the Bio of a Space Tyrant books were the one's that caught my eye...

so they are quasi-comedy sci-fi then? :confused:

7. danromboj

danromboj New Member

Bio Of a Space Tyrant is not comedy. It's a bootstrap series. Kid coming from nothing. I enjoyed it, but that was some time ago. Should still be good.

8. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

ah, fuck it... i'll just get it.

started reading The Da Vinci Code yesterday to see what all the hype is about... i'll pick up the Space Tyrant books next week. - The shop has 4 books in that series, are there any more?

9. Acesn8s

Acesn8s The Deadman's Hand

It shouldn't take you long to finish Da Vinci Code. ;)

10. pixie

pixie on one wild ride :naughty:

That's the one that I couldn't remeber the titles of (straight sci-fi) I liked them to start but the lost my attention the further along they went.

& man :eek3: kinda cool so many peeps remember this writer (who was a fave of mine back in jr high/high school) & seem to remember it the same way :)