TAT Piercing healing tips?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by matkustaja, Apr 6, 2006.

1. matkustaja

matkustaja New Member

Hey guys :wavey:

So i got myself an upper ear cartilage piercing around mid October last year. I have an eyebrow barbell already but this way a pretty much impulsive drunk piercing :hs:

It has got the original bar in it, it’s a pretty big grade (was the biggest they had).

Anyway it’s proving quite a bitch to heal…. It’s been 6 months now and it’s still weepy and doesn’t appear to be healing.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips, or if this is pretty normal…? I clean it nightly with piercing solution and a cotton bud, but I do play with it occasionally, just twisting the piercing as it is stuck to the inside of the hole :hsugh:

Any tips?

2. Lidia

Lidia Guest

Everyone's body is different. Some people's peircing might heal in a matter of weeks, while another can take months. Plus, cartilage piercings take a while to heal anyway (could take 6-12 months).

Do not play with your piercing. Don't twist it. The crust that forms around your piercing will keep bacteria out, there is no reason to get rid of it.

What 'piercing solution' are you using? My personal advice is to stop using cotton, and try soaking it in water/seasalt. And leave it the hell alone! Stop moving it around and messing with it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2006
  3. Two toys

Two toys New Member

haha, my piercer said that atleast with my lobes that after my shower i should spin them, and after my sea salt soaks at night i should spin them again. Just proves everyone has a different notion and no one method is right, everyone has different bodies.

but to the OP, do sea salt soaks twice a day if you can, or once a day if your schedule is busy. I've had my frenum for over a year now, and it still gets crusties, its completely healthy though, so dont let the crusties fool you into thinking its unhealthy.

4. matkustaja

matkustaja New Member

ok so basically i should be picking those crusty bits away all the time :hs:

The piercing solution is good, it works well for my eyebrow and i got it from a piercing store so :dunno:

5. Lidia

Lidia Guest

Yes, everyone's method is different. It is usually suggested you listen to the aftercare instructions of who ever pierced/tattooed you.

6. Lidia

Lidia Guest

In my personal opinion, leave the piercing alone.

What is the name of the solution?
    I also would never use a solution. I like natural healing methods :run:

7. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

Don't pick them away. Soak the piercing and they'll either fall off or you can gently wipe them off.

8. matkustaja

matkustaja New Member

its called "piercing solution" and it has a picture of an earring on it...

pretty generic looking really...

9. dumb_end_user

dumb_end_user Sad Gus

Available at Hot Topic, Claires, etc... right? Throw it away.

Use sea salt soaks or just use a warm compress (wash cloth in hot water) a few times a day. Quit picking the crusties off - once they have soaked they should slough off (or as Buttons said can be wiped away easily).

10. CaliHaze

CaliHaze New Member

yes, def stop playing with it all the time! can you imagine all the crap that builds up under your fingernails, and now you are letting all that bacteria get into an open wound! dissolve about 1/4 tsp (a pinch, moreis NOT better) in a dixie cup filled with warm water. Then invert the cup over the piercing for 5 minutes, twice daily. If you can hold the water in the cup, then you can soak up the solution into a cotton ball, and let that sit over the piercing, changing it a few times after the water has cooled down. you should also use some sort of mild anti-bacterial soap to GENTLY clean it once a day. provin and satin are good soaps if you can find them, otherwise something like dial anti-bacterial with no fragerence added is the next best thing.

Def throw that piercing solution away! the less you play with it, the faster it will heal.

11. dr_jerkvorkian

dr_jerkvorkian New Member

i use sea salt, and i think it works great-- just have to be careful to not use too much salt in the mixture or else it might dry up or irritate your skin
    (i still use it on mine occasionally, just boil/heat some water and drop in just enough salt so that it tastes like mild sea water, maybe even less salty than that, more like tears)

if it starts to get infected or hurt excessively, definitely go see a doctor.. i've heard that nasal infections from piercings can travel to your brain and cause brain damage!

here's a quick link i found, but i'd still look around if i were you also:
    <a href="http://tattoo.about.com/cs/beginners/l/blpiercingtlc.htm">http://tattoo.about.com/cs/beginners/l/blpiercingtlc.htm</a>

12. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

Why is there no sticky on this?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2006
  13. Lidia

Lidia Guest

There will be a FAQ sticky up in a week or so that will include this question.

14. dr_jerkvorkian

dr_jerkvorkian New Member

improvolone, i love your cheese! i wish i had made my name immunster.

so does anyone know the difference between sea salt and kosher salt anyway? when i read the description of kosher salt, it said the same as sea salt-- the salt is gathered from the surface of pure and naturally formed salt water pools or something

but since every place i've looked it up on says to use sea salt and none ever mentioned kosher salt, i just opted for the sea salt

15. Lidia

Lidia Guest

The salt needs to be non-iodized, which is what kosher salt is I believe.