Piece of crap amp! Help!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by AZGuy21, Mar 13, 2002.

1. AZGuy21

AZGuy21 Guest

Piece of shit car stereo! I should really stick to working on engines!

Ok...I put a Sony amp an one 12" speaker in my car, it worked fine for a couple days...then started to work on and off...then stopped working all together. The LED on the amp was still on though...just no sound.

So I figured it was the amp, and went out and bought a Fosgate amp. It worked for 5 minutes, and stopped. Same thing, the LED stays on..but no sound.

Here's the kicker though...when the amp isnt working, the LED gets dim..but only in bridged mode. If I run the speaker off the left channel, the LED is fully bright and if I run the speaker off the right channel, the LED doesnt even come on! And still no noise no matter what channel its running off of.

I tried running a new remote turn on, tried running new speaker wires and new RCA cables. The stereo has 2 RCA outputs, and neither helped.

The speaker is 4 OHMs, the Amp is 150x1 @ 4 OHMs bridged and is 2 OHMs stable. The ground is good and secure.

2. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

sounds liek you need a bigger power wire and a better ground when you bridge it it pulls way more juice double chekc your power wire connections and make sure its grouned well maybe step up a size of wire

3. 7urb0

7urb0 Member

i have a some what similiar problem. my amp wont turn on at all. i even tried hot wiring it to the battery, scrap paint for better ground. does that mean amp is dead?

4. davidI

davidI New Member

check the ground, the fuses and how many ohms you've got your speakers wired to...if yours speakers are wired to 2 ohm's and your amp can only handle 4 it might go into protection and shizzle.

5. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

amps should always be wired to the battery

6. ASUMatte0

ASUMatte0 Guest

where in phx are you located i can look at it..if i cant figure it out, then i am sure kev could...or ill sell you a nice amp that wont break

7. mrdeucie

mrdeucie Member

if he went through two amps it doesn't sound like it's a problem with the amp. Unless he has really bad luck. I've been running a 5 channel sony amp with no problem.

8. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

you may also want to try a new set of speaker wires if they are cut or pinched it could easily fry an amp

9. Blackz28

Blackz28 OT Supporter

It's not the amp. youve got your wiring messed up somewhere. Make sure the power and ground are good, not crimpled anywhere. Also check you turn-on wire. Make sure all the connections are secure. Do you have a fuse at the battery? How do you have the sub wired? series or parallel. Is it a single voice coil or dual voice coil?

10. AZGuy21

AZGuy21 Guest

Just to update this post...

I figured out the problem. The sub was fryed and was frying the amps in return. I took a reading of the woofers OHMs and it read 0.3!
    I replaced the woofer...replaced the amp and its been problem free every since.

11. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap