A&P Pictures / Trip Report from my Crazy Long Motorcycle Trip

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ittech, Oct 1, 2007.

1. ittech

ittech "If You're Not Part of the Solution, There's Good OT Supporter

So I'm finally back from another crazy long motorcycle trip.

Pic of route, day trip rides not included:
    [​IMG]

I Took 27 days mostly off of work (got to love mobile broadband/cell phones) to go out and meet up again with my great friends at the BMWST Unrally VI (www.unrally.com) (www.bmwst.com) and ride around the great roads of West Virgina.
    Of course saw some beautiful country on the way out in the desert of Nevada, the red rock cliffs of S. Utah and the Rockies in Colorado. Couple of days across the flat states and I arrived in WVA to some humid but still pleasant weather. Saw a bunch of people I hadn't seen in a while, had some good times and good food, not to mention the great unstriped one lane backroads.

Then from there I kind of just planned day by day where I was going, what I was going to see etc. Ended up heading north to Niagra Falls, checking out Toronto for a day while a flat was fixed. Many thanks to Budd's BMW Motorrad of Oakville for getting me fixed up ASAP, hiring me a car for the day and also fixing the fork seals and slight engine oil leak. (latter of which Santa Rosa BMW hadn't figured out in 3 visits)

Then I headed back down into the UP of Michigan to pick up a replacement motorcycle mount for the failed Zumo 550, and out to Theodore Roosevelt NP (South) in Medora, ND. Medora was a great little town mostly owned by the Theodore Roosevelt Medora Foundation and pretty much still around just for Tourism and Golf, with it's handy location right outside the park.

After a couple of days in the hot badlands, it was back north through Canada to Jasper and Banff National Parks, which are just freaking incredible. It was quite cold and I was happy I bought Gerbing's (heated clothing) in St. Cloud MN from a friendly HD dealer. (thanks for looking all over for that BMW plug adapter!)

By the way, Jasper Park Lodge is the nicest single property I've stayed at. The combination of a great 4 star Fairmont property with the beautiful relatively isolated location and scenery made it a total winner and a must stay if you are in the area.

Had a full day of exploring the area with limited rain/flurries, then headed down Icefields parkway (CAN-93) which is one of the most scenic highways in North America. It was also quite cold, overcast, snowing flurries now and then as well. Got to walk out on Athabasca Glacier a bit and then head down into Banff in some heavy rain. Checked out Lake Louise and had a nice ride along the side roads in the area then headed back home via Spokane and Klamath Falls.

You can see my favorite pictures of the trip here:
    http://russell.exphose.com/p879349595/

Or in Slideshow format:
    http://russell.exphose.com/p879349595/?slideshow=1

Or just browse all the photo's I've uploaded:http://russell.zenfolio.com/f67362322/

I processed all of these lightly and quickly from the road on my tiny and not so color accurate XPS M1210 but still got some great shots. Hope you enjoy them!

-Russell

2. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

holy crap. balls of steel, man. i bet that was a blast.

3. dano

dano OT Supporter

Your ass must hurt pretty fucking bad lol.

Sweet pics man!

4. ittech

5. ittech

On a BMW RT with GPS, XM, MP3, radar, heated liners, and a comfort seat it's not too bad. :)

Still the ass does get to hurting the first couple days then any riding day longer than 8 hours which are most of them.

6. ittech

Since this is the Photo forum here's what I took on the bike that was photo related:

Kata R-102 Backpack (in topcase)

Canon 1D Mk III with RRS L bracket
    Canon 16-35 2.8L II
    Canon 24-105 F4L IS
    Canon 50mm 1.4 USM
    Canon 135mm F2L
    Canon 300mm F4L IS
    Canon 1.4x II Tc
    Canon 500D Closeup filter
    Assorted Hoya/B+W/Heliopan filters
    Digital Grey Card
    Gretag MacBeth ColorChart Mini
    Spare Battery for 1D3
    Canon 580EX with spare batteries and Gold/White Omnibounce
    Lenspen, pec pads, other cleaning stuffs.

Then in another side case the Gitzo 1228MK2 CF Tripod with head removed, and the markins plate for it with a RRS BH-40 head... Tripod only fit partially disassembled which was a PITA but neccesary for a few shots.

Threw the Dell XPS M1210 in a zeroshock slipcase in another side case with the clothes and other crap. There literally was not space on the bike for anything. I couldn't buy a coffee mug or anything about that size or larger since there would be nowhere to put it. Tankbag was stuffed as well. :)

7. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

really great pictures man, looks like u had a kick ass time

8. fatass

fatass New Member

that is freakin awesome

9. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

holy shit that sounds like an awesome trip :bowdown:

the slideshow viewer is pretty cool I wonder what software they use

10. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Sweet! very cool trip. I'm still kicking myself for not taking more pics on my X-country bike trip. I would past a spot and think; "that would make a cool picture" then continue on my way.

11. ittech

If you only knew how many times I did that as well, I am kicking myself for just riding past some incredible spots because I just stopped 5 minutes ago and took off the helmet/gloves and put them back on and I need to be somewhere 400 miles away still.

To everyone, even if you don't have a sporttouring/enduro bike or the time to get out somewhere far away I highly recommend flying out to some of these amazing places and renting a BMW GS / Honda ST / BMW RT / some similar kind of bike, possibly even a HD since leaking oil isn't your problem :o

It's so much better than a rental car to see the world, it's not even funny.

12. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Very true. Sometimes just the act of stopping was a chore. On my 10 day trip, the temp never dropped below 90 degrees and often was over 100. The wind blowing over me was my only source of air conditioning.

Still, I wouldn't trade seeing the country on anything other than my bike.

13. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

I plan on building my own panniers out of ammo boxes, and having one dedicated to keeping my camera (amongst other things) handy. I guess first i need a camera though :o

14. ittech

Powershot G6 is pretty nice for a Point/Shoot, does RAW again like the older ones.

Or just get a Rebel Xti with 17-85 IS or something. Even that can be rather large depending on the space on the bike...

Make sure the boxes can withstand getting sprayed with the hose pretty good without leaking water into them.

15. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

i've been looking at getting a dslr for a while now.

16. BeachBoy

BeachBoy New Member

wow great trip! I would do it on a goldwing, never on my R6!

17. ittech

Yeah I've thought about flying out and renting a goldwing to see some places however I still think I'd rather be on a BMW... the K-GT, K-RS, R-RT, R-ST are all much sportier and almost as comfortable as a wing... Plus you can actually back it up with your feet instead of a reverse gear. And you can pick it up if you drop it, unlike a wing.

If you haven't ridden a goldwing it's like the difference between your average car and a 30ft RV. Especially the ones with trailers and shit.

18. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I take a week long trip just about every year with two old high school buddies and one of them rides a 'wing. We'll swap bikes at times and I love riding his bike. Compared to my old cruiser, his bike is a dream to ride. I now ride a FJR sport/tourer, which I love. It's been a year since I've ridden his bike and I'm anxious to see how it rides compared to the 'wing. I know his bike will be more comfortable but I think mine will out handle his.