A&P Pictures of people at night

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Cyber0066, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Cyber0066

Cyber0066 New Member

I'm a newb at photography, but I have an canon S70 and am trying to learn to use the manual functios because auto sometimes just doesn't cut it.

One thing I have problems with is taking pictures of people at night when the background is

1. dark
    2. bright (ie. downtown vegas with all the lights)

I don't know how to use the flash to assist me to make the people bright while making the background show up. What happens when I take the picturei s

1. the people are way too bright
    2. the people are very dark but the background is nice.

Any tips?

2. dano

dano OT Supporter

Flash is not your friend. Artificial lighting is. Use street lights, lamps, anything, to your advantage. If you have to use flash at night, you're going to ruin the shot 9 times out of 10.

3. Danoldo

Danoldo Lollercaust

I agree.

Unless you have a great flash and a good setting....then flash photography could suit your needs, depending on what those are.

You need to use the available light you have at night and in the right environments...

4. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

I would still use flash if I were on the strip in Vegas. Get a shoe mount and a diffuser.

5. ZeroSkillet

ZeroSkillet Matt Hughes > *

or bounce the sun of a biatch.

But for the most part try to use available lighting...open up your lens and shoot. Flash does ruin most shots for the most part...especially if you dont play it right.

6. flash ftw, onboard flash FTMFL

7. HoodRich

HoodRich Professional Street Nigga OT Supporter

I'm going to give advice for a canon with any of the speedlights since i'm going to assume thats what you're using because I have no other information and thats what I have the most experience with. Set your camera to expose for the background. Tune your FEC to get the exposure right on your subject (using the histogram makes this very easy to do) make sure you have some kind of diffuser on your flash and most importantly make sure you shoot in RAW and you can correct in your post processing an under exposed image very easily until you get the hang of it.

edit: and you most definetly are going to need a tripod for these shots. unless you're shooting wide open, but then you wouldnt be worried about the background being properly exposed so i'm assuming you're shooting at least f11 or smaller so your shots are gonna be 1/5 or longer usually to get the proper exposure all around, this will be fine for your models to sit through but impossible for you to handhold and keep sharp