A&P Pictures of Mexico,campus, and tulsa taken with Nikon FM10, pls critique. No 56k

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Mippity, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Mippity

Mippity New Member

Most of the pictures were either taken outside of Cancun, Mexico;Tulsa, OK, or Stillwater, OK
    All were taken with an FM10 with 35-70mm Nikkor lens.
    It took me a while to figure out how to use the college newspaper's scanner, so some colors are off.
    I welcome all critcism.

BTW these are NOT in order of best to worst.I simply put horizontal pictures first, followed by vertical pictures so the viewer doesn't have to adjust much.

[​IMG]
    My brother walking out into the ocean.This is probably my favorite picture but it came out grainy and off-color from the scanner.

[​IMG]
    My other cousin's children playing on the beach

[​IMG]
    Fire hydrant/suppresion devices on campus

[​IMG]
    Railroad track off highway 51 from tulsa to stillwater

[​IMG]
    "Backyard" of the villa my cousin stayed in.Shot was taken a few hours after the wedding.

[​IMG]
    Sunrise from a plane somewhere in Oklahoma or Texas

[​IMG]
    I left this picture tilted when it scanned, it was taken straight.This is a picture od the biggest student union in the world.(i think)

[​IMG]
    My cousin on the beach.

[​IMG]
    Geese hissing at me on campus

[​IMG]
    Shot from the ocean of the beach and some of the villas

[​IMG]
    The sun is glistening off the water.I think I walked out til it was a few feet deep to take this.

[​IMG]
    Crosses off the highway at a church in Tulsa

[​IMG]
    Abandoned swim up bar (I believe). It was full of sand but it looked like it was once really nice.

[​IMG]
    My cousin's kids (the one that wasn't getting married)

[​IMG]
    A wild dog that hung out on the beach and by the villas.
    He was pretty cool except he always wanted food.He didn't care for petting.He only wanted food.

[​IMG]
    Sunflower picture I took off the highway from stillwater to tulsa.

[​IMG]
    A bit out of focus but I couldn't seem to focus up so close.I really liked the contrast.This was on campus in stillwater.

[​IMG]
    I took this off the top floor of a hospital parking garage.I originally went up there to take pictures of downtown but liked this shot better.

[​IMG]
    Abandoned building near my house.I think it was a utility building because it was rather small, made of concrete and in the same huge lot as these really nice banks.It was raining very hard when I took this.The light was the headlight from my car.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2004
  2. Ardore

Ardore Guest

1. Your brother - Nice picture, although reminds me of a Sandals brochure.. I liked it, it's just been done....

2. Kids on the beach. I would have used Rule of Thirds on this one.. Moved over to the left and closer to the kids, less beach, but still try to get that dark area of clouds into that upper right corner (although that's not to say I wouldn't have decided while framing it up to cut it out all together if I didn't like it.. not sure how that one would look) Color is funny too... not soft, too harsh.

3. I like this picture. I might have gone for less depth of field, but it looks very good.

4. (Tracks) Not bad, although I think it would be better if you were a little bit closer to the tracks.. although I don't think I would have liked it at eye level.. But I'm pretty sure you were standing on a bridge, so that would be extremely hard to do...

5. Backyard - Beautiful, although, I would probably have also tried one closer between the cement wall and either kneeling or laying on the ground.. *looked again... then you wouldn't get the trees in there... Maybe kneeling/laying where you were at???

6. Sunrise - nice.. I am not in love with it, but I have no suggestions either... I really like trying to get the purples for sunrises I guess...

7. Student Union - Possibly cropped closer, or standing closer and looking up more

8. Bride - Beautiful - maybe stand off to her right a little bit more so you can see what she is looking at, maybe also put her more to right side of frame.

9. Geese - I like! :bigthumb:

10. Beach & Villas - I like it, It's beautiful, it has been done :( I would maybe try sitting down/laying on the beach (I like the shots from funky angles I guess.. not just eye level)

11. Crop closer, water higher in frame (like the first one) Less clouds.. Would show the bottom of clouds just a little bit.. but mostly water... (that probably is hard to understand)

12. Crosses - I would try (if possible) to find a way to cut out the telephone wires.. it's always a distraction to me.

13. Swim Bar - very cool, would have gotten down further.. on knees maybe to take picture..

14. Cute kids - would have cropped closer on the sides, eliminate distraction of the person in the background

15. Wild dog - I like it, maybe would have gotten more to his level and tried to emphasize the footprints in the sand.

16. Sunflower - I like it, I would have gone for Rule of Thirds

17. Contrast is cool, but I'm not crazy about the colors for some reason. In focus would have been much better, and if the center was taller and you could have gotten it nice and crisp, and the rest used less depth of field, nice soft blur, would have been beautiful, but unfortunately you can't control nature.

18. Blurry, but it kind of works for the picture, I think my problem with this is too much dark sky in upper right corner.

19. I like the abandoned building... Looks like there could have been quite a few shots there...

All in all... very nice :bigthumb: some small adjustments, but that's mostly in trying to look at things around you from a different point of view :dunno:

3. Mippity

Mippity New Member

I really appreciate you taking all the time it required to seriously critique my pictures.That was very nice of you :) :love:

I'll throw out a few excuses for some of the pictures.
    One thing I'll say is that these were my favorite pictures from like 9 or 10 rolls of 24 exposure film.Nearly every picture I took about 3-5 pictures at the location.I have all sorts of angles and different fields of views.

Also, these were the first rolls I took on this camera.I had used the same type of camera about 5 years ago at high school in a photography class..my pictures sucked so bad then though :big grin:.
    I had been limited to a 2.1 mp digicamera that only had digital zoom
    for the last few years so I'm still learning.

Ok, to the critiques.

#2 Kids on beach/Do you think this is better?I like this one also, but its dark.
    [​IMG]

#4 Train/ Good guess!I was standing on a bridge.I do have different perspectives of it though.I thought it was the best because it gave it depth.I dunno.

#5 Backyard/I agree.I would usually crouch down cause that isn't a pleasing perspective.I think that was pretty far after the wedding and I was fairly intoxicated. :mamoru:

#6 Sunrise/It actually looked a lot nicer.It was very difficult for me to hold it still to keep it from blurring up on the low film speed.It was also taken through double layer wierd airplane glass.

#12 Crosses. I spent about 10 minutes trying to find a good way I could take a picture without the phone lines.That was the best one I could find in that perspective.One the other side of me was a fence and the highway.

#16 Sunflower- This thing was about 3-5 feet in the air and was blowing in the wind all over the place.I took probably 10 pictures of the flowers..it was very difficult.

Thanks again for the critiques.I'll be sure to think of these things when taking pictures.
    I ordered a 70-210 Nikkor lens off ebay and I'll be getting it Sunday night :big grin:
    Man I am amped.

4. jack black

jack black Guest

some nice shots but you really need to pay more attention to the horizon in your shots and making sure it is level....... it ruined a lot of your shots that would have been nice otherwise
    to me an unlevel horizon is very distracting and takes your attention away from the intended subject(s)

5. Mippity

Mippity New Member

When you say unlevel horizon, do you mean that I held the camera unlevel?

If so, that isn't the problem.
    I scanned all of these images and didn't notice til I was about halfway through that some were tilted.
    I had to crop nearly every image to make it them even.
    There are maybe two that are tilted, but on purpose..like the parking garage shot.

Which picture were you talking about in particular?

6. Ardore

Ardore Guest

First of all... I took high school photography too.. Haven't really critiqued anyone since then so I had fun doing it. It's always nice to find someone that shares my love for photography that can offer me advice. People that don't can tell me "I like it" or "I don't like it" but they can't really tell me what to do to make it better. (I'll try and get some of my stuff up sometime)

The kids.. I like the clouds better in the second one, but you're right, beach is too dark, unless maybe you got even closer to create a silhouette effect with the kids. The other option would be to use a filter... I believe a ND filter.. but I don't have enough experience yet to tell you that's the right one for sure... and probably get one that is only half and half... although in the first one it's still the color of the sand that just isn't right. Looking back though, it could be that the scanner was off too.

Everything else... understandable... sometimes you try and try and can't get that just perfect angle... although... you might have tried something along the lines of getting very close to one, with the other two still in the picture and somehow shooting straight up... but I'd have to be there in person to see if that one would actually work or not :dunno:

and yes... airline windows and wind make photography difficult ;) :dunno:

7. Ardore

Ardore Guest

and... btw... when you get a new lens, they sometimes come with a black plastic piece which can be put on the end and will stop those sun spots/glare.. alot of times I just use my hand :dunno:

8. Mippity

Mippity New Member

Yeah you should upload some of your stuff sometime :).
    What kind of camera do you use?
    I know absolutely nothing about filters.I've never used one or been told how they work.
    The only one I'm somewhat familiar with is the UV filter, but I'm not sure if it really helps much.I just know that a lot of people use them.

I'm pretty sure it was the scanner screwed up the first beach picture.It was one of the first pictures I scanned..and I spent about 30 minutes screwing with the settings after the first two came out a bit off.
    I searched google earlier to look up the scanner I used and it cost more than $2500 !!!!

Never heard of the lens cover thing you are talking about.
    Does it basically do the same thing an awning would do :eek3: ?

9. Ardore

Ardore Guest

Lens Hood... that's what it's called....

[​IMG]

but yeah, I just use my hand until the glare gets blocked out and I can't see any spots through the viewfinder...

Camera - Canon Rebel G, Promaster Lenses...
    I have a UV filter on at all times, but mostly so that I don't accidently touch the lens itself...

the other filters i use, are mostly cokin and I have about 6....

I'll see what i can find to post...